Round Africa with a Surfboard

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by garnaro, Sep 25, 2013.

1. garnaro

garnaro MotoBlunderer

Oddometer:
    In 5 days I'm headed across Europe and down the west coast of Africa.

Awhile back I go the idea into my head to strap a surfboard to my motorcycle and ride around looking for waves.

[​IMG]

After a fair bit of fiddling and research, a more solid plan formed to tackle Africa. On September 30th 2013, I fly from California to London to meet my beloved DR650. I'd like to circumnavigate the continent in about a year or so, in search of good waves and good times. Route will be something like this:

[​IMG]

The plan is to take about 8 months riding from London to Cape Town and if all goes well enough, carry on up the east coast, give the surfboard away to some kid in Tanzania, run up Kilimanjaro, cross the Middle east, and back to Europe. Maybe another 6 months for the return. [​IMG]

This is me:

[​IMG]

I'm 37, working as an environmental scientist in Santa Cruz, California mostly trying to solve water pollution problems. I've felt overdue for a trip like this for a long time now. During the past few years, I got myself a bike, learned to ride it on the road and in the dirt, bolted tons of crap to it, learned how to fix as much stuff as possible, lurked on the HUBB, watched Mondo Enduro at least 23 times, and set off on a few short motosurf adventures along the California and Baja coasts (see bugsonmyboard.org).

[​IMG]

Bike modifications completed, bike shipped, carnet acquired, vaccinations done, stuff sold, job quit, sanity checked, friends shocked, girlfriend kissed goodbye. Ready to move into my motorbike.

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for updates...
    EN_NSE, JackL and BugSpatteredJacket like this.
  2. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    this sounds fun :ear
  3. poolman

poolman Gnarly Poolside Adv. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds awesome, I'm in!

Cheers,

4. Paratrout

Paratrout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. 125uCrazy

125uCrazy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking Forward to following your travels.
  6. arjones

arjones Roads and Waves

Oddometer:
    Being a surfer myself I just got overwhelmed by your journey! I dream of Mongolia; I've done most of Chile; the entire Argentina; Atacama, Patagonia and shit; one day I'll do the Silk Route in China; but my wildest dreams always seem to back off the combination of adventure riding and surfing... You just nailed! :deal

I'm subscribed, I'm really thrilled as I could be if I was in this journey myself! F*&K man this is great!

I wish all the best and I will follow this no matter what. BUT, you sir MUST report the waves you will find along the way... Although the season for the South Atlantic major swells are coming to its final moments, you will score MOROCCO!! :freaky:clap And Namibia, maybe? Skeleton bay? Are you kidding me?

\m/
  7. infoatnmmoto

infoatnmmoto I knoews I be bad.

Oddometer:
    Oh my. In.
  8. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, this ^ Oh, and J Bay too, right?

Could you post pics / links of your surfboard rack when you get a chance?
    I like the apparent somewhat cantilevered rear bracket / strap.

Following with great interest from the left coast, safe travels man!
  9. jestragon

jestragon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Till recently W & Central Africa, now Holland
    There's some decent waves in Dakar.

Nothing surfable as far as I know in Guinea Bissau, although the Bijagos archipelago is gorgeous, but if you let me know when you're passing through, I'll buy you a beer.

In South Africa, make sure you head past Victoria Bay (about 400km east of Cape town).
  10. arjones

arjones Roads and Waves

Oddometer:
    Almost forgot!! Perfect timing for riding sick barrels at basque country!!:lol3
  11. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is Epic.....Have fun and be safe. Looking forward to your report and pictures.
  12. Edmond Dantès

Edmond Dantès The Kanto Pain

Oddometer:
    Take care on that bike in the wind dude.

Big Wednesday could turn into Big Windsday!

However you should be able to pull some good wheelies with the board strapped to the bike and the right crosswind!

IN
  13. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is going to be EPIC!!! Not a lot of roads along the coast on your map so I think you're going to be doing a lot of illegal border crossing. But that will add to the adventure.
  14. garnaro

garnaro MotoBlunderer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    In 4 days I fly to London, collect my motorbike, and point her south towards Africa. During the month before I sent loaded her onto the boat, I fussed neurotically about every mechanical detail, piece of gear, tool, and spare bolt that I might send her off with.<!--more--> At one stage I found myself lying in my driveway at midnight with two piles of bolts in front of me trying to decide which ones to bring and which to leave behind. This did not feel like normal behavior.

Nobody puts baby in the corner. Time for a moto makeover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No matter how much you may plan not to ride in the dark, some times you just get caught doing exactly that. An LID headlight that puts out 1000 lumens should make it a bit safer when it happens.

Its amazing how the adjustment of just a few inches of plastic can have on your comfort level.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I slid all over the place in the mud in baja leading to less that graceful dismounts. I'd rather not repeat the performance somewhere in the middle of the Congo, but also need tires that can last a good distance rather than wear down quickly like knobbies do. I'm hoping that the Mefo Explorers prove a decent compromise between traction and durability.

Fresh drivetrain for a weary girl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've run out of gas enough times to decide that I don't really like pushing my motorcycle for miles on end. A 5.5 gallon Acerbis tank should help reduce the problem.

Essential storage for items to keep Dyna running her best.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I broke some bits off in Baja that required some welding to reattach. I reinforced had all of the brackets on the frame that hold the exhaust and my toolbox.

Along with new heavier straight rate fork springs, Dyna got a fresh shock rebuild with a Race Tech gold valve installed to improve damping performance over the bumps and lumps.

[​IMG]

An extended fuel screw provides easy adjustment of the air fuel mixture in the carburetor at anytime. It comes in very handy when gaining or dumping lots of altitude quickly.

[​IMG]

I built a set of mini jumper cables with 10 gauge wire that live under the seat. Just in case...

[​IMG]

Tappy valves are happy valves. Keep her tappy, keep her classy.

[​IMG]

Scrub the Wyoming dust out of that carby..

[​IMG]

She's Serengeti ready

[​IMG]
  15. garnaro

garnaro MotoBlunderer

Oddometer:
    thanks guys! It will be great to have some followers along the way. This idea has been in my head for years and today I sit at my last day of work before making it happen. Too weird

They just found on in Angola that looks nearly as good as that wave in Skeleton Bay! I'll try to time the trip so that I'm in Morocco and Senagal during the swell season, and I won't be to Namibia until about May or so, so that should put me in the window for the S. Atlantic swells :clap
    Steril likes this.
  16. garnaro

garnaro MotoBlunderer

Oddometer:

Awesome...thanks for the advice!
  17. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great stuff so far. We all like hearing about the bike prep as much as the ride. I had to re-read your earlier post...is the bike already in England where you're starting? Or...are you shipping it there...or what? I'd like to hear the details.
  18. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    Is that a twin fin
    Loved my old one
    Put some gorilla grip on
    The wax will be melting off
    All the time
    If you get any size
    Watch that board
    It will spin out
    Still got a scar across my chest