Clutch hacking and draggin at startup.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jimmibanke, Nov 1, 2012.

1. jimmibanke

jimmibanke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello

I have a startup problem with my 2003 950 adv. Its hacking and dragging when the motor is cold, any of you that have the same problem, and whats the cure for it?:huh

Best regards from denmark
  2. jimmibanke

Oddometer:
    When i release the clutchlever in gear it sometimes hack like the plates are not fully connectet (hope you understand what i mean?). This stops when its warm. I have read somewhere about a oil jet, do i have to clean this or make the hole bigger? What have you done?
  3. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    Take a look at this thread.

Maybe it will lead you to some happy time quicker than it took me to figure it out.
  4. DeepInIt

DeepInIt Long timer

Oddometer:
    As someone informed me, that's an easy one and there are many threads. The full solution is replace your disk pack for your clutch. Specifically the last fiber disk in the pack has become too thin and the metal centering rings, I think that is there purpose are eating into and grabbing the last metal disk. if you want, you can buy some time with a quick cleanup and swap. I did this because parts aren't available in Argentina.

Lay the bike on it's side, remove clutch cover, leave basket in bike but remove springs and bolts. You can remove all plates, keep track of order off things. The final metal plate will have gouges in it. Sand those smooth and swap with a plate from the middle of the pack, reassemble and enjoy. Takes 30 minutes. In reality, your final fiber disk is thinner than the combination of the two centering rings and you will be gouging the moved metal disk.

Also check your oil jet and clean it out. Many threads on this.
  5. jimmibanke

Oddometer:
    Thank you mototex and deepinit, very helpfull (I hope:-) I have been seaching around but its hard to find something clear simple and usefull.. Is there any pictures of the plates in here on how they should be sitting in there?
  6. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    My SE has did this since new, but i solved it :

Simply get in the habit of working the clutch lever in & out multiple times AFTER cold start ups before putting bike into gear :deal

It works oil into the clutch disc that runs out while sitting.

Problem solved :thumb
  7. jimmibanke

Oddometer:
    Brown dog, i do that now but its not every time its working, and i prefere fixing the problem so i can drive with peace in mind:-)
  8. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    That didn't work for me either. Though it seemed to help intermittently, it wasn't a consistent remedy.

Getting the plates' sharp edges oriented correctly and the fibers in the right places was what got it right for me.
  9. jimmibanke

Oddometer:
    Sure hope its the key to solve this problem:-). Mototex do your have any pics of how they should line up? Or is it easy to tell when you have the plates out?
  10. Wallaby_Ted

Wallaby_Ted You call that a bullbar?

Oddometer:
    It might be the clutch oil jet is blocked, i had a similar problem on my 08. I cleaned the clutch jet and it sorted the problem for me (bike is at 70,000km's)
  11. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. TcRulz

TcRulz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 03 950A came out of the factory with no hole in the oil jet:eek1. Couldn't seem to drill one either, so bought one with the 0.3mm hole and enlarged it to 0.5mm. Bikes done 73000km with no hole and must admit that I can't tell the difference either way but never had a clutch issue:clap.
  13. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    Look about halfway down the first post in the thread linked above. There is a link to an article that should help.

Let me know if that doesn't fill in the blanks.
  14. jimmibanke

Oddometer:
    Thats the link i did not see, again many thanks! This is gold to me and others!:clap
  15. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    Glad I could help.

I've edited the referenced thread to make that link more obvious.
  16. 1stiski

1stiski Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer:
    On occasion mine develops this issue, it is my sign to clean the oil jet. Works everytime. But that's just mine.
  17. Grayspeed

Grayspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, same here. Clean the clutch jet out and make sure the clutch pack is assembled as it says in the LC8 manual. I had given my clutch pack some heavy work on a 2 day rally in Wales a few months ago. In the end I had to refinish the steelplates as they had been over heated but none were warped and the fibre plates were still in spec.

You definately need to keep on top of it to get the best performance.
  18. jimmibanke

Oddometer:
    I have done the oil jet(totally blocked) its now clean with a hole through. and the clutch is in order now, there was one steel plate out of order...

And its working! So simple to fix, so much pease in mind. :D
  19. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    When you say one steel plate out of order, what do you mean?

I am having clutch/creeping issues. Just trying to learn as much as possible.
  20. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    Look at the link I posted above for the detail to know what he means.

In other words, read the thread, completely, and all will be revealed. :evil:deal