Moto down in Guatemala - Need Advise (1100GS)

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by dwj - Donnie, Feb 10, 2013.

1. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:
    Donnie,

You're so welcome! Let's hope we get you back on the road.

Please update us as soon as you can. If the tab is gone on that cup, there's a way we can make it work enough to get you back on the road, until you can get another cup.

Liz
  2. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:
    Donnie-

Sounds like you're getting good advice from MsLizVt
    The hall sensor is key to making everything happen on the 1100. If it doesn't spray fuel, and it doesn't make spark, suspect Mr. HES, or his wayward connections.

Good luck getting the bike (and you) back on the road.
    You're getting way too much adventure out of this adventure :bluduh
  3. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:
  4. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    Liz is very knowledgeable about these R1100s! :deal I wished she would get a KTM990, because I have one of those now and I am sure that I will be needing assistance with it! :rofl
  5. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Liz! :clap:clap:clap
  6. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:
    Donnie-

And if you need to do the dreaded chase the wires, here's a link to a 1100GS schematic. Try Liz's suggestions first, hers are easier than chasing wires.

http://www.bmwgsclub.nl/schematics/R1100GS Schematics.pdf

Timing sensors at the upper right corner is what you're dealing with.

Liz had referred to checking / cleaning grounds- that isn't too bad to do, and flaky grounds will stop your bike. Its more than just the big black wire off your battery. There may be several ground points from the Motronic and the harness to the frame. I believe these are a light brown color. You may want to detach them, clean the frame, connector and bolt (wire brush/fine sandpaper / elec. cleaner).
  7. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK! Thanks! :clap:clap:clap
  8. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:

Donnie, you make me smile ! :D:D:D:D

You know the only reason I know this stuff is because I've been stuck on the side of the road many times fixing something or the other with the 1100's.

As I say that, I can remember three times where I had to push the 700 pound, fully loaded bike for what seemed like hundreds of miles, but was probably only a few miles, because of my HES. Two of those times were uphill.

As I'm sitting here recalling various events, last June, on the way to Philadelphia I had a grand blow out of my rear tire. After sitting on the eight lane highway for half an hour trying to figure out what to do, and not a single car, truck, or motorcycle stopped, I rode the bike, fully loaded, on the flat, for about 6 or 7 miles to the next exit.

The story, or most of it is here. Fun to read, I think. I had some GREAT help though, read the story. {sorry for hijacking your thread}

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796072

A KTM would be GREAT! Maybe someday.

Hugs,

Liz
  9. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    We checked the Hall Sensor or what was left of it! :eek1 The hole inside the cup had gotten too large and the cup took out the sensor, plus a small bit out of the belt. Now I need a cup, sensor and a belt in Solola', Guatemala. I am looking at some pieces on Ebay. I can receive by FedEx here and of course there is the BMW Shop in Guatemala City that I know can access a new Hall Sensor quickly. Any ideas on something from the US? The cup could be made to work as well as the belt.
  10. strsout

strsout Banned Camp

Oddometer:
    Erratic tach reading is related with Hall Sensor.
  11. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it had been rubbing for awhile causing the problems I have been describing. When it totally quite yesterday is when the cup took the unit out. But, it actually still had fire to the plugs and some commands to the injectors!
  12. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW, the mechanic that was sure it was the computer yesterday had done his homework last night researching on the internet and arrived at the hotel today with the Hall Sensor as the prime suspect. :D
  13. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    The HES shutter cup (BMW calls it the Hall-effect gate) is glued to the alternator pulley and fitted to the groove in the nose of the crankshaft using the tab on the pulley. Without the glue, your HES timing will change and you'll suffer a poorly operating engine or worse.

From my 2001 REPROM;

• Affix rotor (5) of Hall-effect gate with
    adhesive to the Poly-V belt pulley (3).
    Adhesive: .....Loctite instant adhesive or equivalent

Caution:
    Seat retainer for Hall-effect gate rotor in groove in
    crankshaft (7)

14. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have sent an email to Jose at Guatemala BMW to check on sourcing new parts here. I will follow up in a few minutes with a phone call. Not including the new fuel pump and filter I purchased, I have spent over $700 on this problem so far. Not the end of the world by no means, but a bit aggravating. This does not include the two weeks I have sat in a hotel waiting on repairs. I am having a good time, :deal but would like to make it to Panama some day! :rofl
  15. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:

Donnie, yay!

That's great that you figured out what the problem was. Time to take a big long deep breath, relax a bit, regroup, and slowly put this bike back into running order.

In the states Euromechanical is great. Here are links for the HES and Belt.

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BOSCH-Hall-Effect-Sensor-R1100-12-11-2-306-137-p/boignsen-r137.htm

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Alternator-Belt-R-Oilhead-Belt-4PK611779-p/belt-4pk611779.htm

Make sure where ever you order the HES from that you're getting the one for the 1100. The connectors are different between them. The 1100 has a single row of connectors, and the 1150 has two rows. [if you had to, you can rewire the 1150 HES to the 1100 connector]

The belt that I just gave you the link to is the 611mm belt. Check yours to see if it's the same. The numbers on the belt should tell the length. The shorter belts are 592mm and 582mm. Both will work, as best as I recall, in a pinch, but if you have the 611, which you should, go with that.

I don't find a cup on their website.

Mike at Beemerboneyard is excellent to deal with. He has the HES's and belts brand new.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/12112306137n.html

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/daycoaltblt.html

I'm not finding a cup on his site, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have one. It's worth an email or call to him.

Max's BMW has the cup/rotor for less than $10.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51668&rnd=08102012

The HES is universal on all R 850/1100 bikes, and the cup is universal on all R 850/1100/1150 bikes.

Is the tab still on the cup, or did it get bent flat or worn away?

Save the old HES and cup for me, please. I'll rebuild it eventually, out of parts from bad ones I have.

Can you take pictures, also, and email them to me, if you can't post them?

More yay that it's diagnosed!

Liz

PS: Did you keep the original fuel pump? If so, good, keep it as a spare.
  16. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:
    Donnie, hi!

While reading back through this thread it occurred to me that you are getting great advice and help from some of the best 1100/1150 and knowledgeable people on ADV.

Mouthfulloflake - always thinking outside the box
    MC Collector - great common sense
    Vintagerider - king of fuel systems and conscientious preparation
    Mudcat - very wise and great memory
    H96669 - I think he can say "... been there done that ... with most everything
    Dan Cata - He does say " ... been there done that ... and here's how I fixed it ..."
    tjt94 - local knowledge and lots of it
    Tuckers - years and years and years of experience
    strsout - always thinking ... good stuff
    scooteraug02 - lots and lots of history
    mark883 - very helpful and pragmatic
    fortrider - more invaluable local knowledge
    Pukawai - great moral support
    Vince - more good moral support
    def - he can't even think about things without being technically helpful

This is one of the most amazing aspects to ADV, we all want to get you back on the road, and will share as much as we can come up with to do it, just because we can.

Amazing.

Liz
  17. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am trying to get in touch with BMW Guatemala and Beemer Boneyard. The tab is on the cup, the problem is that it was not glued on and the hole had enlarged allowing the cup to contact the hall sensor. The pick ups on the sensor were totally destroyed and laying in the cavity.
  18. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very true and thanks to all! :clap:clap:clap
  19. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:

Please save what's left of the HES.
  20. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer: