my first 2-stroke.. 72 RD350 NEED HELP!

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Juanjo_NY, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Juanjo_NY

Juanjo_NY Made in Argentina

Oddometer:
    Hi,

just bought a 1972 Yamaha RD350.
    Is a project 90% done.
    NEW PISTONS/RINGS and bunch of things the previous owner did.
    What it needs is to connect the carburetor hoses, few cables, seat foam/cover, grips and chain.. and go from there I guess.

My question is.
    What oil should I use for the engine?
    and what kind of chain this thing uses?

any good place to buy stuff for this old bikes?

Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    FJRider likes this.
  2. RodT

RodT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use Yamalube 2T in my old Yamaha's autolube system and it does a great job. Make sure you bleed the oil pump before you run the bike. If you took the autolube off, than premix the yamalube at 40-1 and you should be fine. I use E-bay for alot of stuff, and also Speed and sport. Bike bandit has NOS yamaha parts , but it is limited. I do not remember what the chain number is but you should be able to look it up on the internet.
  3. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    That's an R5,not an RD. R5 has no reed valves in the intake,no disc brake on front,must be a few other things. If youve never had a 2 stroke it will be a learning experience. Dont run it too lean,ask an expert if your in doubt.
  4. Juanjo_NY

Oddometer:
    thanks,

About the reed valves of the 73, looks like is something the previous owner up-grade.. Personally I have no idea of what that is or what it does.! ;)

"This bike was completely disassembled frame off and redone 5 years ago. It has sat ever since. It now needs a major cleaning. I did put a new battery in it and she still fires right up if you spray fuel in her. Numbers matching 1972 R5 that has been 99% redone with 1973 reed valve jugs. Excellent + condition. All bushings, bearings, seals, piston rings, pistons, tires and tubes, hoses, points, plugs, clamps, etc have all been replaced. The nuts and bolts were switched to stainless in most spots. Even has new grease fittings. I have the tool kit, owners manual, shop manual and key. I also have some extra coils, fuel lines a brand new battery and a spare harness. Everything was repainted or cleaned. It needs a couple of things to finish it up. It needs seat foam and cover, grips and a couple of sticker/emblems and a chain thats pretty much it as far as I remember. It was drained and winterized before storage."
  5. Juanjo_NY

Oddometer:
    to be double sure, the Yamalube 2T oil is for the ENGINE, not for the fuel mix right?

For the fuel mix any 2t oil you can find in Autozone will do?
  6. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Yamalube is indeed for the engine- it goes in the mix oil tank and is injected to lube the engine. So yes, its for the engine, and yes its for the fuel mix... the bike is supposed to mix it automatically.

There is also oil in the transmission.
  7. Juanjo_NY

Oddometer:

haha,
    I'm still thinking in 4 stroke bikes.. Ok, I guess when I say ENGINE, I'm referring to the oil in the transmission.
    What kind of oil should I use in the transmission!
  8. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    Honestly, that bike looks like a lot of trouble. You'd be better off if you didn't put yourself through the grief and expense of messing with it. PM me your address and I'll have my brother come pick it up before this goes any further. I can get it from him in a few months.

Just trying to help. :evil
  9. RodT

RodT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can use a standard 10/30 wt. oil in the transmission
  10. Juanjo_NY

Oddometer:
    a friend told me to put 75-90 gear oil, which you think is more appropriate?
  11. RodT

RodT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The manual says 10/30 for the transmission. Your clutch also rides in this oil, if you put 75/90 gear oil in it , the clutch won't work right.
  12. tenfiddy

tenfiddy Demotivational Poster Child

Oddometer:
    You should double check with a manual but I remember putting 30 weight in my RD400 per the specs. Good luck. Looks like a fun bike!
  13. Juanjo_NY

Oddometer:
    Thanks,
    is synthetic ok for this old bikes?

also, 10-30 motorcycle oil or car oil?
  14. RodT

RodT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do not use synthetic oil, the clutch will slip. Just use any 10/30 motor oil like castrol.
  15. Juanjo_NY

Oddometer:
    :thumb

thanks,
    yesterday ordered the chain, a drag bar handlebar and grips.
    I'm shopping around for a seat, but the prices on ebay are very high for no so good condition seats, even some seat covers cost almost $100 :eek1
    Any tips on where else to search for a seat for this bike? I want original, no Cafe bs.
  16. RodT

RodT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. Juanjo_NY

Oddometer:
    that's what I'm talking about, that seat have a rip on one side, is in OK condition at best, and at $100 (including shipping) is consider a great price.. what am I missing?
  18. tenfiddy

tenfiddy Demotivational Poster Child

Oddometer:
    Oil is for teh trans and the clutch so no friction modifiers allowed.
  19. RodT

RodT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it's a 40 year old bike ,a seat with good foam is hard to find. It dosen't matter to me, but a good seat is going to cost you , go price what a seat shop will charge you to refoam and cover your pan. I'm betting around $200.00 or more.You asked for help finding a seat, so either find another or whatever.
  20. ken_the_carp

ken_the_carp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I purchased a new cover for my old Suzuki and was pleased with how it turned out. I noticed they also had Yamaha seat covers. http://www.reproductiondecals.com/default_frameset.html?content.html~main . Lots of other misc. stuff. One option would be to build up the foam using carpet underlay doing it in layers and contouring the shape till it fits your butt and/or seat cover. ken