Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. brooklyn slim

brooklyn slim nasty, brutish and tall

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to replace my DL650 with one of the following: Stelvio, S10, T800 or - don't laugh - new DL.

Finally found a sympathetic dealer and demo'd a Stelvio this afternoon. Wow.

First, it felt great as soon as I threw my leg over - perfect ergos for me. But I felt the same when I sit-tested an S10 (more on that later). Sense of familiarity and ease continued from the first revolution of the rear wheel to the end of my 10 mile test. Very hard to explain, but the bike just felt like I'd ridden it for years. I had none of the apprehension that I might feel riding an unfamiliar, much bigger displacement bike that belonged to someone else. I got in the zone from the get-go. Amazingly confidence-inspiring, and as everyone has said, basically weightless once you get moving.

Concerns? I'm not used to the characteristics the Guzzi engine, and I found it hard to determine ideal shift points - by sound, it felt certain that the engine would lug if I upshifted, but it didn't. Also, engine was quite buzzy at around 3800rpm - not so much the bars, but pegs and especially seat. Will I get used to it? Will it smooth out over time? Who knows?

I rode an old (very old) BMW years ago, and rented an 1150GS in Germany a few years back. I could tell I was driving a shaftie. Not with the Stelvio. I really liked this bike.

Earlier in the day, I demo'd an S10. To tell the truth, I went into the day thinking the S10 was gonna be the one and didn't expect to prefer the MG, but there you are - what'd life be without delightful surprises?

While the Yam is undoubtedly a very nice bike, I quickly learned that it wasn't for me. Once moving, the ergos didn't suit me as well. The buzziness of the S10 engine bothered me much more than the MG's. I had more of the "sitting on rather than sitting in" feeling with the Yam. Never felt as much a part of the bike as I had on the Stelvio. And I found the gnashing racket of the engine really unpleasant. I know - earplugs.

The engine on the Yam is a marvel. Put that thing in sport mode and crack the throttle in second, you basically fly off the back. Fantastic rush, and the MG felt way pokey by comparison. But I think I'd prefer living day to day with the Guzzi's engine (which is plenty powerful, don't get me wrong) and overall package and forego the the S10's relative rocketry.

Oh, yeah, and I know I have no right cast the esthetic stone, owning a Wee, but the S10? Fugly! Fugly on stilts!

So, one down, MG still in the running, two to go. A dealer told me he might have a T800 for me to try next week. Not hopeful that I can find a Suzuki dealer who'll let me demo the DL, although I don't think the new ones are radically different from mine.

I guess I should give the Huns a shot at my wallet and check out the new GS, but it's gonna have to knock my socks off to overcome my reluctance to beta a new model of a bike with a significant pedigree of problems.

Anyway, you Stelvio guys...I get what you've been talking about.
  2. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    Higher RPMS are good. I try to run at about 4000-5000 unless I'm crawling around in town and it's much smoother than that 3500-4000 range. In general, the vibes will decrease a bit over time. I don't really notice the vibration any more, but some tuning can probably also help if it's especially bothersome to you.

The Stelvio is a great bike (but I'm biased :lol3). It's the least powerful of the bunch and not really a standout in any measure of the spec sheet, but in the end, I think that the complete package edges out all of its peers (which are all quite good, don't get me wrong).
    davyjones likes this.
  3. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Vibes - They will lessen over time. Could also be a case of mal-adjusted throttle bodies. She'll run rough if those aren't sorted. FWIW mine runs better (smoother) at higher RPMs vs. lower (i.e. it's smoother at 5k rpm than 4k rpm....in fact it's very smooth at 5k rpm).

Performance - I know it was a new bike so you likely didn't want to flog it, but if you get it to 5k rpm and give the right grip a good twist, you best be hangin' on. This coming from a guy who owns a Ducati. No, it's' not Ducati fast, but there is a whole different motorcycle under you above 5k rpm.... :wink:

Best of luck with your choice. If it's any consolation, I too test rode the S10 prior to the Stelvio, with the initial intention of getting the S10 due to a fantastic deal on them at the time ($11,999), but ended up with the Guzzi. This is my 2nd Guzzi and it's a gem. :thumb

-SM
    davyjones likes this.
  4. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Easy cure for that is "don't ride it at 3800 rpm"...

Seriously, though, the engine will be much happier in the 4,000 - 5,000 rpm range for most cruising.
  5. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put Todd's fueling kit on my Stelvio and it is smooth at all RPM ranges now. :clap No more vibration at 3800 or anywhere. It does not seem to have the snap that it once had but overall I am very pleased with the modification.

Marc
  6. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
  7. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    Very few bikes break in as noticeably as a Guzzi.... they always have that character, but feel a bit tight and unwilling to rev happily until you get a few miles on them.
    You can really feel them loosen up over the first few thousand miles.
  8. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    And most importantly, incredibly hot women will constantly throw themselves at you when they learn you ride the Guzzi.
  9. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    :nod

Happens to me all the time; it makes no difference that I'm fat and ugly. :deal

:lol3
  10. Adam R

Adam R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad it isn't just me - since getting my Stelvio I now have a sexy girlfriend 17 years my junior...

:evil
  11. GerryL

GerryL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had my Stelvio for a couple of weeks and put about 800 miles on (I work too you know), but early this morning was my first ride when it was really dark. I have to say this bike has the best stock lighting of any bike I have had. Nice to see the deer way out there!
  12. Cloudhopper

Cloudhopper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So i'm still in the middle of all the paperwork shenanigan the irish government throws at you when you import a bike from the UK. Was told there was a mistake in the papers and i HAD to correct it before it finally putting on irish plates.
    So i went back to the office that is dealing with that only to find you that the way the paperwork is worded is the ONLY possible way and the lady on the hotline had no effin clue.

I didnt care. Decided that I wouldn't get a parking spot with the cage at work when i get back from that authority, so i took the bike instead.

Best lunch break all week :clap
  13. brooklyn slim

brooklyn slim nasty, brutish and tall

Oddometer:
    Uh-oh. That might be a deal breaker. I have enough problems explaining to my wife why legions of nubile and compliant women hurl themselves at my feet wherever I go. You're telling me there'll be even more of them if I become a Guzzisto?

On the other hand, who am I to deny my geriatric charms to another Victoria's Secret model or three?
  14. Ham

Ham Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a perceived buzz at somewhere around 3200 - 3800. I say that because though I note it I can't actually find anything that I touch actually buzzes.

This bike is of at least two natures. Low below 3200 is a thumper and at 4000 above is is a glass smooth screamer. It all depends on what you want to do that day. Keep it above 4000 and find some paved twisties and watch your Yamaha dissappear in the mirror. You see the stats don't reflect this as it just isn't something the average article notes. But you will.

I appreciate what has been said above. After getting this bike and riding it I keep having this blond, 5' 2", 105 lb babe come on to me in the most obvious way. This of course would be my wife...she loves this ride:)
  15. RRVT

RRVT Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer:
    This is a typical Guzzista view:

[​IMG]
  16. Adam R

Adam R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had a rattly clutch lever and lower screen mounts giving elusive buzzes in the past...?

:D It's a fine pillion seat to be sure!
  17. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    Ham, try the hand guards. My right one was vibrating against the master cylinder. Same rpm range, easy fix.
    Peter Y.
  18. rockywidge

rockywidge n00b

Oddometer:
    I just ordered Todds remapped ECU for my new Stelvio . I didn't know the bike would lose any hps or torque as result . Hope thats not the case . Did you replace the ECU as well ?
  19. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    Mine had exactly the same issue. :nod
  20. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    I don't think it's making less power.

Todd can correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the things his remap does is richen up the mixture to reduce heat and surging (not that there's much surging noticeable). An additional result of the richened mixture is a slightly softened throttle response, which will improve ridability at slow speeds, especially on loose surfaces.