Final Drive - guess it's my turn now

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by trc.rhubarb, Sep 23, 2013.

1. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Riding home late from work tonight and I notice the bike clicking in the parking garage. Rolling by hand or turning the wheel on the center stand and it clicks too.
    Best I can tell it's in the FD, I can feel the clicks on the possum scraper.

Gonna pull the wheel and separate from the drive shaft tomorrow. There is 0 play in the rear and no added resistance so it seems strange. Just did the service a few weeks ago and no shavings or flakes. Oil looked brand new.

I have a warranty but no idea how to use it. Once I know the problem, I guess I'll take it to the dealer for repairs. I'm doubting they will let me repair it myself.

Anyone know how to use Xtraride warranty?
  2. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. Chat Lunatique

Chat Lunatique aka El Gato Loco

Oddometer:
    10 bucks sez it's the drive shaft.
  4. rebake

rebake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep
  5. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many miles on the bike?
  6. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know about Xtraride, but I got my FD fixed under regular warranty. Simple really, call the warranry phone number, they organize the tow and the fix. Call repair facility (dealer) first so they know you're coming. I didn't have a choice of dealers, I had to take it to the geographically closest, and not my preference.
  7. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    Well..his bike is an '07, so long out of BMW warranty...hence, the aftermarket warranty.
  8. soggysandwich

soggysandwich Banned

Oddometer:
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :nod

Jim :brow
  10. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Bike is an 07 with 64k miles on it.
    Xtraride has no info on their site and I have called several times only to sit in the phone queue hell. For the record, that number is good for sales support only... there is a secret number you have to call :eek1
    Did finally get someone and it's easy enough. Just fax them the repair estimate and they get 48 hours to approve... too long, but it beats paying for the parts. Oil, bolts (like the disc bolts), locktite and other incidentals aren't covered, so I expect a few bucks out of pocket but not bad.

I'm pulling the rear wheel and FD tonight so I'll know if it's the FD or the shaft but it seems like the clicking of wheel bearing more than of a u-joint's needle bearings. I just checked both though 3 weeks ago and found no issues. It also makes more noise when weighted than when not, which leads me to think FD.

Dealer (I never use the dealer) can't see me until next Thursday, can't order parts until they take it apart and no FD's in the US according to them so up to 4 weeks. They suggest a rebuild which will take 4 hours if they have all the parts. I don't care really as long as it's fixed. What isn't clear to me is what a 'rebuild' entails. They replace everything that needs replacing... I'm not sure how they decide what is good or not. Still, free is free.
  11. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    OK, so I pulled the driveshaft and it feels fine. The joints move freely and with no slop. Obviously not new but not notchy or loose. No rust on the joints themselves but on the yokes and the splines are still lubed... i'd hope so, just did it 3 weeks ago.

FD moves freely with no sign of any grinding feeling or rough bearings. Maybe not as smooth as it could be, but it could just be me trying to find the problem too.
    No metal on the magnet or in the oil.

Put it all back, new oil and it still clicks but not without the tire on, and the more weight on it, the more it clicks. Sounds like the bearing to me...

Dealer is still 9 days away and that sucks... R90 is down waiting on a $3 part but at least I still have the HD. I have no car, so I guess I need another spare bike! I'm going to use this to my advantage with my wife :deal
  12. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Ya mean that thing on the wall with the crank on the side?
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Two things to check. Pull the caliper and see if it still clicks. If it doesn't you have a brake issue, likely a dislocated pad. If it still clicks pull the speed sensor and try. If it is still clicking, the FD has an issue.

14. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Not if she reads this thread....:eek1
  15. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim, I'll try that. Probably should have been my first thing I tried.

I'll go do that now.

Wife doesn't read threads so I'm safe!
  16. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    OK brake off, still makes the noise. Sounds like maybe a rough spot on a race or a single bearing...
    For sure coming from FD and I can hear it loudest through my giant screwdriver stethoscope when its on the black dust cover that is on the axle hole... vs the lug side.
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Did you pop off the dust cover?

18. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I did but all was clean and no sound amplification by not having it there.
    It has evolved to a creaky sound but it's for sure coming from the FD area.

I can hear it, I can feel it but I can't isolate it. Without the tire, I can't get it to 'grind'. It seems to need to be loaded somewhat... the more weight it's supporting the louder the noise.

I'm not sure there is much more help you guys can offer without me being willing to open up the FD. Since it's getting covered by warranty, I'm hesitant to give them any reason to deny the claim.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I'll be sure to update with what they find out probably next week Friday...
  19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sounds like it needs to be taken apart and checked.

20. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    Damn...sorry brother...