KLR250 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bad Company, May 10, 2008.

1. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Not exactly," 8gv!

The "choke" (starting enricher) has nothing to do with the diaphragm; rather, when ON, the enricher plunger is withdrawn from its orifice in the carb body, permitting fuel to flow; simultaneously, a proximate air passage is opened. Acting as a "mini-carburetor," the consequent fuel-rich mixture is admitted directly into the carburetor venturi, without involving the diaphragm at all.

A metal "choke" cable cap is available from Stead Engineering. A good primer on a carb very similar to your CVK34 can be found here:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/keihin_carb.htm
  2. DrMoto

DrMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My electronic flasher was plug-n-play. I can't find the part number but I got it and bulbs from superbrightleds.com. Worked out well.
  3. Brash1

Brash1 Adventurer/Goof-off

Oddometer:
    I know this subject has been beat like the proverbial "dead horse". Beat it like a dead horse, maybe that's the answer:)
    Seriously, I'm at my wits end with my latest purchase(1994 klr250. 1000 miles on odometer) It had to be started with a shot of ether when I bought it. I figured, no problem, just a simple carb clean and done. I own a 88 klr, that I rehabbed, so I know a little about the bike.
    Got her home and pulled and cleaned carb. Found that it had obviously sat still for a long time in its life( bowl gasket really dry and brittle) replaced that.
    After back together, still won't crank. Unless you shoot a little throttle body cleaner into airbox. Cranks and idles great if that's done. Like 2 kicks!
    I have done everything I can find on advrider to fix it.
    Adjusted valves
    Cleaned carb again
    Changed plug
    Still nothing!
    I know some jackwagon has been into this carb before me because of the boogered screw heads and the aftermarket choke. The have replaced the stock choke assembly with the kind that screws right into the carb with a pull knob. It seems like it does what it's supposed to( blocks or opens the orifice under the diaphragm).
    Am I missing something?
    Is it time to roll it outside and burn it?
    Did I mention I'm frustrated?
  4. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    That really sounds like a carb issue, which can be a PITA to fix. I'd say pull the carb (again) for detail cleaning, and use thin wire to clean the jet orifices. Sometimes cleaner, even the spray, won't get those clean.
  5. Brash1

Oddometer:
    It's what I'm leaning toward too. I've had it apart twice and cleaned and sprayed. Ill break her down again tomorrow evening and try to run some wires through every hole I can:)
    Ill let you know if that's the fix I'm looking for.
    I'm certainly not a mechanic, but carb issue is what I keep going back to.
  6. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    Concentrate on the pilot jet- IIRC only a single strand off a 20g wire will fit.
  7. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:

The choke replacement may be trouble. The "choke" is really a fuel enrichment circuit that feeds extra vacuum to the diaphragm. This raises the fuel needle without the air butterfly being opened thus resulting in a richer mixture. When pulled, the cable, or knob in this case, pulls a brass pin through a horizontal bore. In that bore there are air passages that allow the extra vacuum to be delivered to the diaphragm. The stock set up has a plastic 90* fitting that carries the cable. This fitting is held in place by a plastic nut. If either of these parts are cracked, engine vacuum will suck air from the atmosphere rather than the extra circuit leading to the diaphragm. This is not uncommon on these bikes.

I'd bet the choke knob set up is leaking air. A long shot to trouble shoot it would include some plumber's putty. Pull the knob out. Kick twice. No start? Thoroughly wrap the knob, rod and whatever with the putty. The idea is to eliminate ANY air leaking around it. Kick twice. Vroom? It needs a new choke cable or a better knob.

If the '88 KLR250 wants to help...
    Remove the choke cable set up from it and put it on the new one. Make sure the plastic parts are not cracked.

When I bought mine the start procedure was to kick 20 times, rest for ten minutes, kick 20 more, go lay down on the couch for fifteen minutes....

Now it starts, stone cold, hot and everything in between in

ONE KICK!
  8. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what size spanner wrench is needed to remove the steering stem locknut? I measured from one end to the other at the widest part (in other words not in the notches) with calipers and it was 38mm, so does that mean I need a 38mm spanner wrench? If I measured the diameter from the notches, it was about 34mm. To be honest, I don't know how to size a spanner wrench, but just measuring the diameter of the locknut made sense to me.

EDIT: Well, never mind. I didn't realize these were supposed to be installed only hand tight. Turns out a set of pump pliers loosened it up easily!
  9. Brash1

Oddometer:
    Removed carb again. Anybody in central alabama need a carb off your klr, I'm the man! I've had plenty of practice.
    Checked everything again. Pilot circuit is clean. I ran wire through the jet and found it clean. Sprayed carb cleaner into hole jet is in and it sprayed out into the throat of the carb.
    Checked my compression( reaching for anything at this point) it was in spec at 90 psi.
    The aftermarket choke knob looks great but I will try to test it later in the week.
    If you have any other ideas, throw them out there.
    Really wanting to get this thing running. I bought it for my son to ride part of the tat with me late summer. He needs to get lots of seat time in before then!
  10. rube

rube Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you run wires through the two pressed in air jets that are on the bottom edge of the intake side bell of the carb? These two, non-removable jets were plugged (after multiple soakings and sprayings). Once I drilled my smallest welding tip cleaning wire through them the bike started on the second kick.
    Good luck.

rube
  11. Brash1

Oddometer:
    Thanks rube. But those are clean too.
  12. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    Ok, let's follow the gas upstream. Petcock working (should flow in open or reserve)?
  13. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Almost there... The last remaining part I'm waiting for, the generator cover gasket, is supposed to be here tomorrow.

So far, this is what I've done:

Checked and adjusted valves
    Flushed and Refilled Coolant
    Oil and filter changed
    Chain and sprockets replaced (14/44 JT sprockets, EK O-ring chain, 520 pitch)
    Carburetor cleaned, stock jets installed
    Steering stem bearings greased
    Front fork seals and oil changed (15wt Bel-Ray oil)
    Replaced spark plug
    Restored plastics with heat gun and carnauba wax
    Replaced battery
    Fixed some sloppy wiring issues
    Rebuilt petcock
    Tightened and loctited a shit-ton of loose bolts/nuts
    Cleaned and oiled air filter
    Replaced brake line with Galfer SS braided; flushed and refilled brake fluid
    Installed inline fuel filter
    Mirrors replaced and mirror mount installed on left side
    Rear LED turn signals installed
    Electronic flasher relay installed
    Tail light lens replaced
    Rear chain guide replaced
    Toolbag replaced with Seahorse SE300 case

All that is left to do is pull the flywheel, retrieve my dropped feeler gauge, bolt her back up, and put oil back in. I really, really, really, really hope she'll be good to go. I have a feeling I'll have the carburetor off a few more times... I've never messed with a carburetor and then put it back on without further tweaking...

Hopefully I'll have her covered in mud before the weekend!

[​IMG]
  14. evilwerkz

evilwerkz Time to ride....

Oddometer:
    DANG looks like your shop boss is keeping you in check :lol3

Beautiful Dog...and KLR of course....:D
  15. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow thats a mean looking dog its eyes are glowing ya sure it isnt possessd?,both bike and dog are looking good tho:clap
  16. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Haha. He's a 70lb lap dog who's really just a big baby... But certainly does a good job of looking the part of a mean dog! He's also got two different colored eyes, so they always appear funky in pictures.

Here's a less mean-looking picture of Diesel:

[​IMG]

Oh, and so that I don't get this conversation too sidetracked, the part I'm waiting for still hasn't come in... Grrrr!
  17. bigfishs

bigfishs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice work! What mirrors are they?
  18. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    I don't know. Some cheap universal mirrors off of Ebay.
  19. newcastleadam

Oddometer:
    Replaced the clutch springs awhile back with EBC springs, and the pull is soooo bad that I really hate trail riding. Haven't had a hand cramp up this bad since I was 13 :evil. Gonna put some factory springs in there, which will make this at least time #4 that I've changed the water pump gasket :1drink
  20. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Arrowhead markets an extended clutch arm, Part # 20-4400, fitting KLR650's that may work on a KLR250. This product increases leverage from the force of the clutch cable pull; the EBC clutch springs may be manageable with this product, pricey though it may be!