2013 Tiger 1050 SPORT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Stickywicket, Mar 2, 2012.

1. vellies

vellies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm Multistrada.....My all time favourite!!. But I have to agree, I do like the look of the new Tiger Sport, wish I could see one in the metal. Should be another 6 weeks or so.
  2. 3sum

3sum former Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
    Lucky bastard. Wish they were coming to the States.
  3. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree the R1200R in the black & white paint is a looker! I love the look of the 800 Tiger, but the praying mantis half fairing of the 1050 doesn't do "it" for me.
  4. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers

Oddometer:
    Quite a few of us are just fine with the look of our Triumph bikes. But then again, there's no accounting for taste,eh?
  5. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    MCN (UK) are saying it rides like a super naked, they place it just behind the KTM SMT.
  6. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    I went to the Indianapolis bike show and checked out everything from all the manufacturers. I love the feel of Triumph's 1050 motor in a street oriented bike, but if they're not going to import the 1050 Tiger Sport, they're going to lose this sale and I'm going to buy a KTM SMT instead. I would think that with the increasing average age of riders in the US, that more practical street-oriented bikes would sell better. That being said, I trust Triumph well enough to know better than me if it is going to be profitable for them to import the new 1050 Tiger.
  7. Croak

Croak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still get the sneaking feeling that the T.Sport and the latest Speed Triple are run out models. Wouldn't be all that surprised to see an all new Speedy 1200 at the end of year shows.
    As for the T.Sport - it's a bit bare bones for the money. No handguards or center stand, although you could probably get those thrown in with a deal.
  9. 3sum

3sum former Triumph fanboy

Oddometer:
    If the price included sidecases I'd be good with the pricing. But I think that $12800 US (doing the conversion) if it were to come, is too steep without luggage for an over the road bike.
    That being said, I'd love for the Sport to come, but won't be surprised if it doesn't.

Chris Pope
    Locust Grove, GA
    10 Speed Triple SE - for sale
    57 Cushman Eagle
  10. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, actually the price of 12.8k usd is right in the middle between the tiger explorer 1200 and the t800. So imo that price would be just right.
  11. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    I think that price would be pretty fair compared to a KTM SMT, especially considering the KTM just comes with cheap textile luggage. I think motorcycle manufacturers do themselves a disservice when they put cheap or flimsy looking luggage on an otherwise really solid bike. A great example would be at the Indy Progressive Insurance bike show this weekend. The stock luggage on the Triumph Tiger 800 and Explorer looked flimsy and cheap. The same Triumph Explorer outfitted with Trax bags at the Twisted Throttle booth looked rock solid and awesome. If I bought a new Tiger 1050 Sport, the first thing I would do is mount my Trax aluminum boxes to it, even if that meant Ebaying the factory luggage.
  12. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    I'd agree except that the TSport has 120 new parts. Seems odd to tool up for them, for a 1-2 year run.

I think it is Triumph's new upright sport tourer, with the demise of the Sprint.
  13. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    Who knows how true or even what that means. They could have changed 60 fasteners or consolidated a myriad number of parts from other production lines to save costs. There may be no tooling costs at all.

P.s. based on the initial ride reports it sounds exactly the bike I'm looking for :bluduh
  14. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Maybe, but sport-tourers are kinda dying, as a category.

This bike doesn't have a lot of gizmos, but does have some practical changes that make it a good choice for some, eg. better pillion provision, revised gear-box, higher bhp, better mpg, new swingarm, revised suspension.
  15. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    As so often - we get the nice bikes late or never ... :deal
  16. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The luggage is breathtakingly expensive. £900 for side cases and £350 for a top box. No way jose..
  17. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Ouch.

Then again, I just notice the hard luggage for the new KTM 1190 is £1277..
  18. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's any interesting aside on the Visordown site. In the feedback section, the tester - Ben Cope - says that he asked Triumph why the bike didn't get a under engine exhaust. The Triumph bod replied that one couldn't be made to fit on this generation of bike - but one will be made for future models.
    Adds weight to the rumour of a new Speed Triple based on the 1200cc motor coming at the end of year..and it would appear that the Tiger Sport moniker will be passed along to the next derivative.
  19. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    I just can't see them using the 1200 from the Explorer - it's HUGE. Wouldn't a new generation 1000 which can be spread across a sport range seem more likely (well, not likely. What do I know about Triumph product roadmaps - that's right, nothing).

The current 1200? :shudder
  20. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did remember a comment from the head of development saying they had just signed off on another engine. This was about the middle of last year.