Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    go wossner 99 man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just remember extra loose on the fit...mk?

I will vicariously dream of this wossner on my bike if you get yours:D:D:D:D:D

btw my rebuild is holding up great...I lost so much power from badly sealing valves its not even funny

oh and to get my post count up DINO!

I HAVE A TAN PLUG...........................................................yay!

mikuni plus twin header jetting DONE!
  2. deejay_xr

deejay_xr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are student loans for right? :freaky

Sweet that you've ordered the goods, no turning back now :D
  3. Dino3310

Dino3310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mikuni's my goal for the pig this year, i had a short ride on a 6 last year with one and man the difference was fantastic, im hopeless at wheel stands but the kuni made it easy:lol3 plus i like the idea of not having to kick it 20 odd times after i drop it:D ive had a 98mm wossner in for the last 2 years, will get the 644 in after the mikuni, the thought of 3rd and 4th gear wheelies get me horny :lol3:lol3:lol3
  4. RoostMaster

RoostMaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey peeps, probably been posted before, but is there a sign of a XR stator about to go ? Or do they just stop ?

Made it to the Vicco High Country on Sunday, excellent time...

[​IMG]I

[​IMG]

Top of Mt Terrible, bad name, nice view.
  5. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    UOTE=bosley1980;21177842]Hello XR RIDERS!

[/QUOTE]

It should be noted that you should go to the vendors forum for this. Your post could be deleted or moved by a mod should one happen along. Perhaps come back and post a linky.

Just trying to help.
  6. Captain115

Captain115 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha yeah I'm already $40,000 in debt with student loans, whats $500 more right?

Sweet photos roost! What tyres you running there? 606 rear?

John
  7. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    yeah you hit it on the head wuth the mikuni comments, its not so much power you gain but added bonused LIKE not prone to stalling as much, if you do it will idle on its side for a good minute or so giving you the abilty to pick the bike up and keep riding, if it does stall you use the same kickthrough method and it will start better than oem...

I have a nice low end punch and no bog, NO BOG, that something that unless you jet insanely FAT on the oem carb you will never eliminate it.

anywhoo

yeah

any othert comments about you wossner 98mm? good power? runs cool? cooler? or hotter? does it rattle a lot at idle when cold?

do you suck oil? aka burn at high rpm?

cheers bud

peace
  8. Dino3310

Dino3310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    its runs mint bro, best looking piston i've ever seen. couldnt comment on tempertures but definately No rattle at idle and no noticable oil usage. just followed the tolerence specs on the box .... no complaints from me. Plus the cost was cheaper than any where i could find over here as the shop i got it from did a bulk order so it worked out cheaper than ordering other brands from over seas which is still way cheaper than Honda NZ:D not sure if they do the big bore with sleeve so i might get a JE for the 644, will wait and see could be a while before i can save up :wink:some pingers:D
  9. deejay_xr

Oddometer:
    What exactly would be the consequences of running with too much oil in the frame/engine ?

Filled er up two weeks ago, let her run for a while with a load of oil in it, and topped it off according to the dipstick afterwards.

I just came back from a ride, got the oil all hot and bothered, and I pulled the dipstick right away upon arrival to check level.
    Only to find that I could see the oil in the frame right away, way up high. It's close to 2 cm (like 3/4 inch) above the 'upper' mark on the dipstick...

So apparently the bike didn't run long enough when I filled her and checked the level, stupid, stupid :deal

What parts of my engine could be unhappy about this?
  10. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's no big deal if there is to much oil in the frame. The frame is vented to the top of the rocker cover and the engine case is vented above the transmission. You will not be blowing seals due to to much pressure. You could suck or syphon some oil out of the frame or take the drain bolt off of the engine case and just let a bit out. Use a clean catch can so if too much comes out you can put it back in.
  11. deejay_xr

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly.

Good to hear it can't have messed something up, thanks !
  12. error cooled

error cooled anything but asphalt

Oddometer:
    The old 88 is now eligible for antique plates in Virginia. $50 lifetime registration an no inspection. Had to celebrate the 25 year old antique with some mountian riding.

[​IMG]
  13. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:

Got some pics today ,

will try and get them up tomorrow for ya . :deal
  14. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Looking for opinions. I picked up a plated 87 XR600 R last month for $1200. The motor and transmission were rebuilt by a local shop in 2000 and it runs great. The owner gave me the shop bill paperwork from the 2000 rebuild, $1500! I had Todd at KTM Northwest go through the carbs and the thing runs really well. The thing isn't mint by any stretch but its a good bike. I had the inaugural ride on it today doing the Alley Sweeper here in Portland and had a blast.

I've got a group of friends with XRLs and we are going to start doing some dual sport trips. If I'm going to do these rides on this bike I'm going to have to do some serious upgrading.

The suspension isn't leaking but its clapped especially with my 240lbs on it (without gear). I end up doing suspension on all my bikes since I'm waay off the factory chart. Is the factory shock worth having rebuilt or should I just go aftermarket? I had the suspension on my CR 500 done with Race Tech and it was awesome. Are the early forks worth rebuilding or are there some better legs that I can swap into my triples?
    If I'm going to make this the offroad ride for the next 5 years or more do I get really stupid and do the USD conversion?

I'm 6'6" so it really needs a three inch riser and new cables

It needs a taller seat as the smashed loaf of wonderbread under my ass isn't going to cut it

The rear is a drum but it works ok and doesn't really bother me but is it worth ditching the 17" wheel and putting an 18" on there? I'm good with running 606s or Michelin T 63s

I'm running 14-45 sprockets on it and I'm good with that. Its happy right about 55-60.
    I've also thought about finding a 91 or later XR600r and making that the dual sport. I'd keep this one and just leave it as it is.
    Thanks guys
  15. Huskylove

Huskylove Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got a plated frame and disc brake swinger if you happen to decide you want to go that route. Built up single carb motor too. It is a 96. Sitting on the shop floor.
  16. RoostMaster

Oddometer:
    Hey BTB,

Get the rear shock rebuilt with spring (it will be way over due anyway). If you have the coin def' go the USD conversion, if not much coin then I believe a CARTRIDGE fork found on later years (I think '91 on but happy to be corrected on that) will fit and was an big improvement.
    If you keep and sort the std forks, still do not compare to anything modern you ride, they are 20 odd years old, from another (fantastic) era of motorbikes !!!:1drink
  17. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    congrats man!

nice to see some 88s kicking butt!:D
  18. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    hmmm

whats your budget if you dont mind me asking, honestly thats always the 1ST question you need to ask yourself

If you have the coin I would get one of the new works performance shocks...they has a separate reservoir and the basic one is only adjustable for compression damping...yeah sucks but they look great and have great reviews

you can also rebuild yours but that could be MONEY if you have a damaged rod, or piston etc...some parts are expensive to replace

you have nothing to loose by trying to rebuild yourself, if you dont I can HIGHLY reccomend neil hores at hitchock racing in colorado where I had my shock rebuilt and revalved...

anywhoo

I wish I was up there in the states cause I have my sweet rebuilt 96 xr600 forks...you would love:deal

peace

ps. an offroad only 85-87 twin carber JUST for hard offroad is a great idea in my opinion as they were the strongest of the bunch and since they are older you dont have to go all out in the cosmetic department, you can find decent rear offroad knobbies too so just a thought...
  19. RoostMaster

Oddometer:
    Much assistance needed folks, re-laced the rear rim, sent it off to get tuned, wheel tuner pointed out that the rim looks like its off another bike as the tightened up spokes were all now slightly bent just near the nipple.

I think the PO has swapped out the rim at some point, can I have a few members please check their rear rims and compare the markings? Mines a '92... and is the arrow a directional arrow? (presume so). :eek1 Roost.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. RoostMaster

Oddometer:
    Photo's Please ! Oh, and one more thing for the big fella, get some foot peg extensions ASAP. !