Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AntiHero, Jul 13, 2012.

1. smiler147

smiler147 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep, you got me, I'm in, sounds, looks, feels fantastick. Craic on dude.
  2. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    :thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb Great RR!
  3. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    actually I thought the track resembled a bit the outline of "hang loose"

[​IMG]

guess we all have our own interpretations, its kinda like a Rorschach inkblot test :lol3
  4. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Received the (coffee table) book today :clap.....can't wait to read thru it...but thinking that it will push me over the edge and into the dealership to buy a Panigale.

The book does look great. Congrats and continued success,
  5. VMSfan

VMSfan n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey there AntiHero,

Great read! You completed something that I was so close to being able to do myself, even got the OK from my wife to do so until doing the "right thing" backfired and turned our lives upside down (see http://vmsfan.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-ugly-side-to-being-hero.html)

But reading this and seeing the pics, gives hope and inspiration that once I have recovered...to start back on track to completing my dream...like you - a solo round robin of the USA by bike.

It is the opportunity to see the good in what others can and will do for the benefit of others and to taste the raw beauty of what our great nation has hidden.

If you do decide to hit up a Pacific NW trip, let me kow. While I still have a spare room, it can be yours plus anything you may want to see or do here, I could point you in a direction.

Definately need to get a copy of your book.

Cheers!
    Aaron
  6. JakeS

JakeS Yup

Oddometer:
    Great job!
    This RR has had some of the best insight i have ever heard, made me think about things in my life i never really thought of before and was really a mentally opening read...

Where is the book?
    Did i miss a section where to order it?
  7. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just make sure you post a pic here if you do get one! :) And happy you like the book. I'm still moving around a bit, so I haven't seen a copy yet! Soon, soon.

Aaron: Sorry to hear about the foot. And the financial disruption caused by the injury. Appreciate the offer, though. And like you, I am also waiting for the moment when I can take off and do another long trip. If I head up North I'll let you know.

Thanks for the feedback, Jake. Book links are in my sig.
  8. JakeS

JakeS Yup

Oddometer:
    Ahh no wonder i dont see it i have the sigs turned off...
    Thanks
  9. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did I miss this thread! Brillian trip, simply brilliant! Thanks for sharing! :clap
  10. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Just a quick thanks for taking the time and effort to post this and take us along with you. I've been reading off and on for months now and that shot of the Duc in storage makes me physically ill. I know it won't be long before Spring lures her out again.

Travel safe.
  11. Dunewar

Dunewar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see a european trip is considered. I would be very interested in seeing your experience of the old continent. Don't underestimate the cultural differences so close together. You have done thousands of miles and only seen American people that all speak english (sort of), but if I go 40 miles south I'm in France, and 40 miles north and I'm in Holland. Not only does language differ, but also cultural differences are much bigger than what you are used to.

I for one would be very keen to see what the great observer of the human nature that you are makes of this. I think you either go crazy or stay here permanently...

On another note : loved your ieas on limbic depravation. I am not an expert on this so i shall not comment, but great ideas. As a newborn I spent three months in a special chamber, and I recognise what you describe, albeit not that problematic (my parents could take me out and cuddle from time to time).

And one final remark : I admire the people that take trips like this, and under different circumstances I would have done so also, but now I have chosen to live the live of a proud father, taking trips to the zoo instead. Not one ounce of regret, mind you, but I greatly appreciate the non-judgemental character of your writing. I am sick of tired of so-called adventurers calling us "sheep" simply because we made other choices. I love my babies and will never regret that choice.
  12. motopat

motopat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    97 pages, loved it!
    "Right here, right now"
    Amazing how four words can change your attitude at any given moment.
    Thanks for the huge effort and bringing us all along for the ride.
    Happy trails
  13. Squidbrah

Squidbrah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally done after 3 days of reading. Enjoyed every bit of it and I just bought a hard copy of your book. I hope it goes towards making another great RR for us to indulge in.

I'm going to share your story with anyone that's having trouble getting off their ass and "living". So many people sit around and waste their lives while the opportunity to see the world is right in front of them.
  14. pubetmaster

pubetmaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last week i recieved a copy of your book.

Thanks for the great RR and keep going on with that - you have a kind of typing your words to bound someones mind to the story forgettin most of his surroundings.

Thanks Anti !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guys! It's a very profound experience to know that my words and my journey has inspired so many and encouraged others to live life more deeply.

Today was a very good day for me for three reasons I thought I'd share:

1) 2/9/13 marks the two year anniversary of surviving the brain tumor excavation that saved my life. I spent a lot of time today remembering the terrible days leading up to the diagnosis; a lot of time remembering the awful days after; and a lot of time thinking about how fucking great it is to be alive. (See celebratory video below!*)

2) I ran three hilly SF miles and didn't have the usual coma-like symptoms I've had in the past when I ran or rode my Cervelo. (Ironman number 5--could it be a non-lethal possibility?)

3) Ducati has been following along silently (those sneaky bastards!). They've also appreciated the ride enough to invite me to an event next month, but I didn't confirm what details I can share, so for now I'll only say it's going to f'in ROCK! I'll share the details when I can and of course--stay tuned for post-event Pics and Stories!!!!!

(*A few weeks after surgery I got the ok to remove the stitches from my head, but didn't feel like driving all the way to UCSF to do something I could do myself. So I grabbed my Swiss Army knife, an Exacto blade, hooked up a webcam (so I could see what I was doing) and, well....you've been warned!)

Removing Stitches - YouTube

Fred Oliff likes this.
  16. mint julep

mint julep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AH, u are WOLVERINE! :D

Swiss army FTW!

All the best. Hope Ducati hooks u up!
    Your journey, pics,& words, was very inspiring.:clap

Cheers, Dave.
  17. Lolodesiles

Lolodesiles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yesss!

since weeks i was wondering if Duc have seen your journey, and thinking they maybe do somethin' with you, like you know, master ceremony :clap

i like the way you remove the stitches of your head :huh...............:eek1 .........:lol3

obviously you have used the right tool :D

cheers man ;)
  18. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Badass video! A true Ironman. :thumb
  19. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congtaz on all!
    Really want to hear and see pics of what ever ducati has planned.
    Great video, I usually do my own too, should of videoed myself taking the ones out of my jaw!, then again I was too scared to take the ones out of my puppy when she got hurt and they stitched her up with like 10.

Still getting checked out once in a while, I hope. (cancer that is)
  20. flumpmaster

flumpmaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These Italian dual sport bikes sure look kinda funny

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I now have over six hundred miles on my F**k it bike - a few of them on dirt roads. This bike is fantastic to look at, terrifyingly fast (for a KLR rider) and remarkably comfortable. I've been out for over 200 miles on one ride and felt fresh as a daisy afterwards.

Did I say it was fantastic to look at? I sometimes just go out to the garage with a beer and just stare...It's about the most beautiful inanimate object I own. For anyone out there sat on the fence....just do it.

Now I think I'll have to modify the fenders to get the Dunlop 606s to fit.
    geoduch likes this.