Help me decide on a sports tourer (or rather close to it)

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by nemuro, Nov 8, 2012.

1. nemuro

nemuro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know there are thousands of topics like this, but everyone thinks he has special needs and wants a topic of their own. I am no exception :).

My riding experience over my 5 years:
    (+strong points in my oppinion, -weak points in my oppinion)

1. Suzuki GS500:
    +not that much electronics ( no sensors, no injection, etc )
    +easy and cheap maintenance
    + nice to get around in traffic
    + insane fuel economy
    +air cooled, no fuss
    + first love

- felt too small, looked like a toy
    - windy at highway speeds
    - looks

2. Kawasaki ZR-7 - 2001
    +fun in the twisties, ran circles around squids on 600 speeders
    +not that much electronics ( sensors, injection, etc )
    +pulls nice in low revs, nice to get around in traffic
    +huge tank and very good fuel economy
    +easy and almost cheap maintenance
    +huge underseat space for "stuff"
    +air and oil cooled, still no fuss
    +kawasaki grew on me
    +huge tank range
    +fuel level indicator
    +I could stay in saddle all day

- too rare, hard to find parts and when you do they cost an arm and a leg
    - bad on highway speeds (windy)
    - front fork a bit soft
    - looks

3. Honda VFR800 FI 2000 - gen5

+wind protection and even rain protection sometimes :)
    +lovely for doing fast cruising (140km/h-160km/h)
    +faster than I what I was used with
    +no choke lever
    +clock
    +looks
    +impressive fuel economy

- got (honda) technophobia from this bike. R/R gave up and left me standing, somethimes the bike ignition cut off as I was riding
    - runs extremely jerky in first gear when going at idle rpm speed between cars. it's almost scary
    - dissapointed from a V to find that the power sits a bit in the high revs
    - a bit too linear power delivery, it kinda sneaks up on you
    - a bit of a wrestle to tip down in twisties
    - runs hot, burns my legs in traffic
    - a bit fat for going around traffic
    - lacking personality imho

Glad you made it so far, I tried and still try to be as brief as possible.

Now here's what I am looking for in the next bike:

Here we go:
    Runner-ups
    1. Hayabusa (ridden one, love it but a bit large and hard to tip in corners. bet it becomes better as I learn more to ride it)
    2. Kawasaki ZX-9 (it's a kaw, it's low tech, it's fast and nimble, hope a find a decent 2002+)

Considering:
    1. CBR 1100 XX
    2. Yamaha R1 (hate the position but love the looks and speed. considering major mods for ergonomics. handlebars, pegs, etc )
    3. Kawasaki Z1000
    4. Yamaha FZ1
    5. Yamaha TDM 900

What can you recommend based on what I seek? Helpful reviews of the bikes mentioned here is also very welcome.:deal
  2. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ducati ST4s.

PhilB
  3. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Triumph Sprint ST 955/1050 :deal
  4. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    TDM was limited release/sales in the States. FZ1 is a Great tourer/commuter. Busa is okay but not the best for two up. Maybe take a look at the KTM ADV or SMT as well
  5. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  6. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Off your list, not knowing what else is available, a TDM gets my vote.

Not sure how well Suzuki is supported there, but a DL(650 or 1000) might also be of interest.
  7. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    He's not in the US- he's in Romania; the TDM is still available as a current model in Europe. If KTM support is OK, then a 950 Adventure might work, but for reliability...
  8. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
    since you said sports tourer why not the fjr.

for me the vstrom 650 is the perfect all around bike.
    great fuel econmy, runs on regular gas, 5.8 tank. i upgraded the seat, mirrors and wind screen, added luggage and heated grips. it is an all day rider.
  9. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    In combination, these are somewhat restrictive criteria. Do the bikes on your own list fit?

5. Yam TDM 900? No way. At 74hp, it won't be hitting 250kmh (which is on your "deal breaker" list). It doesn't have a full-fairing either.

4. Yamaha FZ1? No full-fairing. Ride position upright, not sports.

3. Kawasaki Z1000? Same. it's a naked, for heaven's sake.

4. Yamaha R1? Disastrous for two-up.

5. CBR1100 XX? Seems to have what you are looking for, except bulky for twisties. (So appears to fail #4 on your "deal breaker" list.)

I'm with PhilB: a Ducati ST4s would be among very few options your criteria leave open.

[​IMG]

Or perhaps its Aprilia rival, the Futura, if it's fast enough.

Except neither would be much fun in 40C stop-go traffic, even tho probably they would not overheat (as pre lean-burn models).

BMW R1200ST? It might just hit 250. Opinions will vary on its capability in the twisties.

[​IMG]

Its "S" sister would be faster but half-faired and pillion-discouraging. And both may be 2006-plus.

Perhaps re-think your list: is 250km/h really so necessary? Will a half-fairing work? Do you really want a sport-tourer? Is "heavy but okay" in the twisties good enough? :D
  10. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    TDM 900, 990 SMT, GS, Multistrada, the list goes on, the new zx 14, if you want to fly. It's a task to decide, so many models to choose from. That 250kmh will limit the choice's, are you planning to cruise the autobahn's:D
  11. nemuro

nemuro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @PhilB:
    I was looking into ST2, ST4s are hard to find in this part of Europe.

@Qwik & @dwoodward
    Unfortunately, I don't have the coin for a KTM ADV. The budget is 4000 Euro ($5000).

@car94
    I'd love a zzr 1400, but it is over my budget.

@dwoodward
    Too bad It's a plushy ride (soft suspensions), but yes it's an interesting choice.

@motorat
    It would be nice, but it weighs even more than the busa and I consider that as a barrier for me in terms of weight, for now.

@Moronic
    5, 4, 3, 4 yes, that it is on my "Considering" list rather than "Runner-ups"
    5. It should be easier to throw around in twisties than the busa, so no deal breaker.

Good call. I am considering Futura as well, it's a very nice package. Thank you

Don't get me wrong, but the BMW doesn't ring any bells for me, nor do I think it goes (fast) that well.

250km/h is for when in a hurry, and sometimes I am.
    Half fairing will work.
    Heavy but ok works for me in the twisties.

@Aussijussi
    Trust me, this topic wouldn't exist if I had the coin for a zx14 or ktm 990. How are the older models of the multistrada?

I added the weight and budget restriction to the initial post. Thank you for the replies guys, they help me consider other options as well.
  12. Qwik

Oddometer:
    I think the FZ1 is the best suited of the machines on your list. Excellent handling, Comfortable seating position, great HP, capable of the speeds you require and its well within your range.Not to mention a huge aftermarket for parts
  13. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 05 Multi 1000 is a great bike that seems to fit most of your criteria very well except that:

- ride position is upright;

- half fairing only;

- not 250kmh fast (but better than a TDM and comparable with an ST2).

- prefers cruising around the 130kmh mark, not 160 - although it would certainly cruise at 150 if you needed to. US long-distance rider Gary Eagan set a couple of point-to-point records on one (swapped his ST4 for it).

It is great in the twisties, has good fuel range, good grunt, nice (for a Duc) in traffic, comfy on long days, good with a passenger, relatively low-tech.

But it is an awfully long way from a 'Busa. :deal
  14. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've no experience on the ms, i've had 06 990adv since new, 63000 trouble free kms, despite the talk of how reliable, or not, the LC 8 is. There is also lot of talk of the Ducati having some issues. I've had couple of VFR's, 86 and 92 models. The VFR is a nice machine, if not bit bland. One bike nobody mentioned, is the Suzuki Bandit 1250, Beside's TDM, the most under estimated motorcycle on the planet, for the reason of not being as 'flashy' as some of the other's. They can be picked up fairly cheap as well, try one out, if you haven't already!
  15. nemuro

nemuro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Qwik
    Can you please take some time to talk about or '99 Busa? Or at least point me to where you reviewed it. How do you get along with it?

@Moronic
    Odd, it seems to have less power and torque (more important) than a st4s.

@Aussijussi
    Actually the large bandit is on my considering list. Waiting to ride one, for sure.
  16. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing odd about that. The older Multis had the two-valve per cylinder engine, similar to the ST2; whereas the ST4s had the four-valve heads, which offer much better breathing - and I've heard it had great cams that worked down low as well.
  17. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    I had an 04 Multi 1000 for 4 years. GREAT fun bike. Plenty of power as mine had the remapped ECU and Termi exhaust. Even without, just go down one tooth on the countershaft sprocket and you have a wheelie monster that will lift the front while still leaned exiting turns.

Luggage is so so for quality, little flimsy. But the bike is a hoot to ride and solidly in your price range.

Barry
  18. Twinz

Twinz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aprilia Futura!!
    [​IMG]
  19. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    The MS is still on my very short list of bike's i would buy, despite the 'issues', i mean look at the issues the 990adv is supposed to have, and admittedly, early models certainly had their share of strife. Years ago i test rode Monster and St 3, and i was really impressed with the ST 3, not so much with the Monster, if there were used ones around those days, i would have bought one, instead i bought Vfr 750, not the same thing as Ducati, i know. The Fz1 was mentioned, i took one for a longish test, and while the handling was sharp and precise, with 150 hp at the turn of the wrist, i thought, this may be the one, it had no torque however, well at least in lower rev range, so that was that. When you are financially ' challenged' you'll have to think long and hard about what sort of a ride your hard earned money is getting you! The 990 SMR might not suit the OP, It's on my 'next buy' list though, as i wont be able to afford the new 1190, which i would buy in a blink of an eye!
  20. Qwik

Oddometer:
    The Busa is everything you could want in a big sport bike. Throw a set of Corbin hard bags on and do some high speed touring. But..... As much as I love it, it is a 560lbs sport bike. And for me it isn't good two up ( for rider or pillion) lots of buffeting. But if you want a hooligan machine that makes everyone else jealous it's great. When I do long rides I ride my KTM. When I commute, I ride the KTM. And the only mechanical issue I have had was self induced