1. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Village, you say?

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WpId0kTPQYc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:deal :eek1
  2. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Understood man, there's definitely different hoods within each borough, and each one appealing to some and not others. That's why I keep an open mind and embrace things in this city as much as I can.

Well said

And to RoadGrime, if she does websites, let me know. I've got a little moto related side biz coming out soon :D
  3. nick2ny

nick2ny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi. I'm looking for a machinist in Brooklyn or New York City who is able to bore and hone a 12 millimeter bore in a bushing. if anyone has any ideas, I would be much obliged.
  4. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Funny, I used to live right there, on Houston between Thompson and Mcdougal. All Italian back then, almost nobody in my building spoke English. Great neighborhood, except if you get stabbed I guess.

Had a '56 Triumph I used to park in front, regularly got knocked over, or put on the sidewalk to steal my parking spot. Mafia guys used to park and double park their Caddies in a bus stop in front of a restaurant on the block and never got ticketed.
  5. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    Not that NYC is perfect but it is Disney Land compared to the 70's and 80's. Neighborhoods that scared people back then are trendy now. I used to hang out in Alphabet City and around Tompkins Square Park. It was a great area to hang out, drugs were readily available, no one who owned a bar or store cared how old you were, and you could do whatever you wanted. However you were going to get into fights sometimes, maybe someone might try and rob you, or you tried to rob someone, the line got blurred.
    Or maybe go to The Deuce, yes the Disney Land of Times Square was a pretty shady place back then. And all these other "great" neighborhoods, were not so great back then.
    Today I feel safe in most neighborhoods, and the ones that I do not feel safe in are not that scary. As for living here, the OP's daughter will be fine in any area she chooses. Just be smart and enjoy all the city has to offer.
  6. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:

Sounds like it's a good place to be if you get stabbed. Last few seconds of the story.. :cry :freaky

The Moth is awesome. Here's another favorite NY story... this one, funnier. :D

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S6LCSGv1gA4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  7. nick2ny

nick2ny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone installed grip heaters? I have this moose racing grip heater kit, I have Rescue Tape to insulate the left grip, and I have a relay.

My only questions...

Does anything (JB Weld, etc.) go between the bar and the grip heater?

Does anything go between the grip heater and the grip?

Thanks!
  8. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    I never use anything for glue, just some hair spray. This way you can pull em if you ever need or want to for any reason.

No glue for the grip heaters, they should have a sticky backing to them, you stick them on your bar then slide the grip over, after putting some hairspray down on the bars.
  9. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great moth vids guys, thanks for sharing.
  10. Smokar

Smokar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is kind of a weird question, but has anyone ever heard of brake lights that mount on your handlebars? I'm posting this here because I saw a guy on rt 23 in Wayne riding a r1200gs tonight (29 degrees, nice) with a pair of brake lights that looked like they were on his handlebars. The guy was pretty visible so assuming they're legal, I want em.

I googled and searched but couldnt find anything. Any idea who to ask or where to look? If nothing else, I'd just love to know what it was...
  11. rutard

rutard Magnanimous Madcap

Oddometer:
    No, and it wouldn't make sense. Do you mean running lights? Were they pointed forward or aft?

There are a couple of threads about installing LEDs into hand guards to function as forward facing running lights. Essentially you find an led strip, drill holes through the handguards and affix w. silicone or epoxy.
  12. nick2ny

nick2ny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pelican 1450. Slides on to the tail of a the style of KLR they made in 2001. Needs fasteners. NO SCRATCHES. How about $45?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Orange juice is for size reference onl :freaky
  13. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Bar end blinkers ? I've seen people use those arrow shaped red lights for mirrors on their bikes.
  14. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Some old Nortons and BMWs used to have bar end turn signals, with a yellow lens to the front, and red to the back. Looked like an aluminum and plastic ball at the end of the bar.

I guess something like that could be hooked up to act as a brake light instead.
  15. BERZERKOWITZ

BERZERKOWITZ .

Oddometer:
    No pics.
  16. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    Hey Gents and (FF's),

just want to drop in and say that I'm officially back in the city. No longer working downtown thanks to Sandy flooding my office building, but no worries there, as I wasn't anxious to get back to work anyway.

Will be working in midtown for the time being, 51st and 7th. Anyone park round here?

See y'all soon, and hope everyone is having good holidays so far
  17. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    Still RVing it? I was stopped at a light the other day in Greenpoint and someone turned across me and it reminded me of your RV.
  18. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome back G!!!

Sorry to hear about the office, we got lucky and sent all the water into the tunnels. :D
  19. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ....coming off the GWB onto the HHP ramp. Cabbie is in left lane, I'm in right lane next to him. Traffic in front of him slows down so he decides to pull into my lane, I try move to the shoulder and pull away.... he taps me on the rear left Pelican case.... bike goes left, then right, then left, I see the barriers in front of me and straighten her out. I get to a safe spot on the shoulder and pull over thinking the bastard was gonna stop.... yeah right! He keeps going and yells out the window "Sorry!". I get behind him and memorize his plate (1P97), follow him for a while and then finally calm down and realized how lucky I was not to have gone down. In the end I took off and he got off at 125th.

Be careful out there!!! I'm SOOOO glad I had those shitty cases!!!
  20. Smokar

Smokar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That could have been it. I didnt get a great look because I was a car or two behind the guy, but I liked that I could see him pretty well.