Manassas VA- maybe someone knows this guy?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Flynch, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Robert OK

Robert OK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the deal with Manassas? As a part time resident of DC, I should probably know.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Good point!

As for horses, so long as they are on a MUT designated for them, or on a designated trail, they are within their rights. MOST that I have come across appreciate those that take a moment to shut down and wait for them to pass. It seems a small price to pay to prevent an accident.

Jim :brow
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Seems Manassas is where a large portion of out less than legal residents, and redneck Virginians like to cohabitate with each other, steal and kill each other, and generally make life unpleasant for those who live there but do not fit the aforementioned descriptions.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/va/manassas/crime/

4. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    Actually, I'm not sure that area would even be considered Manassas. Maybe by mailing address, but not within the city of Manassas. Might even be Catharpin, which is actually a VERY nice area.

There are certainly some nasty areas of Manassas, especially within city limits (i.e. Georgetown South), but you can look at that map and see areas that show the lowest crime rate, but still have a Manassas mailing address. Just like you can't judge Alexandria by areas like Beacon Hill: http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/va/alexandria/ :deal
  5. Flynch

Flynch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. SxyRdr

SxyRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same as here apparently.

Some blame the equestrienne for being on a horse on a horse trail that happens to cross a road. Cars stopped to let her and her friend ride across at the horse crossing. Biker couldn't be bothered to wait, crosses the double yellow, passing all the stopped cars and then revs/spooks the horse.
  7. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I figured that out after some of the posts.

Whether or not the horse is "spooked" by revving engines is an ignorant statement. You've never "jumped" when something/someone snuck up on you? If so, maybe you should stay home too. :lol3

It couldn't be farther from the real issue of the motorcyclist being an impatient, self centered asshole, disregarding the other stopped vehicles, the trail user(s) in the process of crossing the road and more than likely the speed limit. When there are vehicles in front of you stopped, there may be a good reason for it.

Those trails are also hiking trails. It could have easily been a family with young children crossing the road. :deal
  8. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Clearly, the elitists don't spend much time in Manassas. A careful look at the site you linked shows the city is safer than 37% of the cities in the US while places like Alexandria are safer than 38%. I can see how you would sneer at those peasants outside the Beltway. :asshat
  9. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I live a little S and W of Manasshole. Except for a few spots, its not a bad place. :nah

Better'n some. Worse than others. :nod

M
  10. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

Our house is on my brothers horse ranch, and he is a ranked endurance rider.

A responsible equestrian will not ride a questionable mount in an uncertain environment. The best course of action when encountering horses is to simply continue with what you are doing.

On the other hand, what the motorcycle rider did was totally wrong. Aggressive, attack like behavior can spook even the best trained animals
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I've spent plenty of time there! I stand by my assertion that it sucks! Try hanging out in Manassas Park!

Btw name calling doesn't help the case that the locals are good people!

12. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ummm... Manassas Park is a completely different city. That would be like saying hanging out in Arlington reflects the realities of living in Alexandria. I didn't call you a name either. I simply pointed out that elitists need to get their facts straight. I stand by that statement, especially in light of your confusion over which Virginia city you are lambasting.
  13. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, which is it? Unsafe horse or unsafe rider? You crack open the throttle on a high performance street bike with an aftermarket muffler and you'll scare anything in a 1/4 mile radius, if they aren't expecting it.

Besides, the trail crosses the road, doesn't parallel it.

What the fuck is wrong with people now days? When I was growing up, about 20 miles west of Manassas, people came up on a slower moving vehicle or animal they slowed, waited until a safe place to pass, then waved(with the entire hand) as they drove by.
    Now days people don't use their brakes unless they're fixing to run off a cliff, Ride your ass, pass in unsafe places, give you the bird and just generally do what the fuck they please, as long as a LEO isn't around.
    Ignorant MFer's

Fixed!
  14. SxyRdr

SxyRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Supposedly Georgetown South is improving? Haven't lived in Manassas since the mid-90s. Used to live over in the apartments at Hastings and Dumfries.

We live down south of Nokesville now...
  15. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    :ear

M
  16. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Totally unsafe MC rider, and possibly poor judgment by the equestrian?

A horse is a dumb animal that will react instinctual unless trained to do otherwise, and its rider should know how it will react to anything it may encounter in a public environment..
  17. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    What part of this...

don't you understand? I'd put money on well trained Police horses getting spooked under those circumstances. :deal
  18. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Horses are prey animals which rely on flight as thier primary defense. From the description, the riders were using a crossing and were almost across when the motorcycle passed behind them and revved his uncorked engine, mere feet from the backs of the horses.

People can say all they want about thier supposedly well trained horses, but my opinion after a lifetime around horses is that 99 out of 100 horses would've bolted or reared when put in this situation.

The guy on the motorcycle is pure douchebag and I hope there are some friends of the injured equestrian watching for this fucker out there on Lee Highway.

As for taking a questionable mount in to uncertain circumstances, the animal has to be exposed to new stimuli to become desensitized, so it's a chicken or egg kind of deal.

I haven't looked it up, but I wouldn't doubt that Virginia is like many States and lists horses alongside bicycles and motorcycles as legal users of the roadways with cars and trucks...

I spent the summer of 2006 in the Manassas area. Bristow/Brentsville, actually. Liked the area. Hated the people and the congestion. I had more road rage incidents in three months there than I have the rest of my life. Probably experienced more rude and shitty people that summer than in the entire rest of my life. I don't know what the deal is in NOVA and DC, but people are generally fucked up.

It's a shame, really, because the country is beautiful. I don't have any plans to return there, though...
  19. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not defending the MC riders behavior in any way, I'm simply pointing out the equestrian may have made a poor choice of where they rode, and that you shouldn't need to be afraid of their possible reactions to normal circumstances.
  20. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    You would describe this as a "normal circumstance"?

" a motorcyclist crossed double yellow and went around the stopped cars and gunned it at the horses "