BMW Navigator GPS on GSW

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by labenske, Oct 7, 2011.

1. gr8ridn

gr8ridn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent! I have an Audi Q5, 2011 with MMI so the chances are good for similar success. :clap
  2. kencc

kencc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will this GPS pair with any phone that has bluetooth or only specific brands or models?
  3. gr8ridn

gr8ridn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are always exceptions with the lack of standardized Bluetooth requirements. My experience is the Nav V will pair with most phones.
  4. bdfbeemer

bdfbeemer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My niece spent 2 hrs lost this weekend when she lost cell service in the NC mts. A good reason why I want a stand alone gps. As an aside she had printed directions but was so used to her phone she forgot about the hard copy.:rofl. So far I really like my Nav V.
  5. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I discovered some flexibility in searching when navigating a route.

Condition: You are currently navigating a route, and decide to search along it.

1. Click Where to

[​IMG]

Then click on the Searching near box in the upper right corner of the screen.

[​IMG]

The Search near default is to search near your current location, however, clicking on this brings you to another screen that lets you select where to search. As you can see, it allows you to choose searching near:

My Active Route
    My Destination
    Where I Am Now
    A Different City
    Recent Destination
    Saved Place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(I included two images because the last choice could not be seen without scrolling down. )

I called up a route that started far away from my current location and ended even farther away, told the unit to Go (navigate it) and then searched for a steakhouse near my active route. It found one. I did not take the next step of telling it to go there, etc., but at least it seems like searching along the route is possible. It seems like there is a lot more flexibility to the searching than I had thought.
    griffsred likes this.
  6. mwhite5471

mwhite5471 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a couple of hours free today so I decided to slot the upper holes in the GPS mount.

Turned out the mount is made from aluminum so I just needed some needle files and some patience.

Stock view for me at 5' 11".
    [​IMG]

The tools.[​IMG]

The stock holes.[​IMG]

The slots.
    [​IMG]

Tada...new and improved view :D
    [​IMG]

Just thought I'd share....Merry Xmas.
  7. gr8ridn

gr8ridn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good tutorial Emoto. Thanks
  8. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    So, this simply allows one to tilt it forward a tad? BRILLIANT!!! :thumb
  9. gr8ridn

gr8ridn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good tutorial Emoto. Thanks
  10. mefly2

mefly2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad that someone else finally got the Nav V to pair with their vehicle audio ... there were many negative results / remarks over the past 6 weeks about it not working... long after I was successful getting it to pair in two different vehicles.
  11. B00001

B00001 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys,

Just installed my Nav V on my bike. I paired my cardo ScalaRider Q3 to it, as well as my new Android phone. The Nav 5 is confirmed paired with both.

What I would like to do is to be able to stream Pandora (or whatever Internet radio) to the headset and of course have the Nav be able to cut in with it's directions, or a phone call.

I have the Scala and the phone paired to the Nav but when I pull up Pandora on the phone, it plays through the phone only, not the headset. I was thinking the Nav would act as a 'hub'. Phone (Pandora) goes to Nav, Nav sends it to Scala???

I updated everything first. Nav, Scala, phone, all on latest updates.

Do I need to pair the phone to the Scala as well as the Nav V?

Thanks in advance!
  12. B00001

B00001 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, think I got it to work. Phone gets paired to Nav for calls. Scala paired with Nav on Ch 1 of Scala Headset, Scala paired with Phone on Ch 2 of Headset. Play Pandora on Phone, it goes to headset. Had someone do a test call and the call comes through, stopping the music as it should and the caller's info showing on the Nav.

Will have to test it out some more. I was hoping to have the pandora info showing on the screen of the nav. No biggie.

When I tested a second time, the scala paired automatically with Nav but I had to manually click phone to pair up. Maybe I just did not wait long enough.

Fun Fun Fun...
  13. Exos

Exos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick question... is the NAV V compatible with Birdseye? Seems like it should be... considering it is designed for an "off road" bike.
  14. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:

Yes.

It's also compatible with Del Monte and Green Giant.
  15. GeorgeKingGeorge

GeorgeKingGeorge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the pix. I was assuming this modification was possible. Nice to see the confirmation. :thumb

Too bad BMW didn't design it this way from the get go.

16. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good mod, thanks! I am still waiting patiently :wink: for mine to arrive.

Question (probably asked before) - how does the NAV 5 screen appear in strong sunlight? Is there a sun shade available?
  17. mwhite5471

mwhite5471 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With brightness all the way up its ok apart from when sun is behind you...7-5 o'clock.

I've got a generic 5" sunshade off amazon for $6 that I'm gonna try velcroing to the face with a few short strips today.

There is a custom hood maker but they are closed for the holiday and don't have a V version available yet.

There's a small hole on the front right side...anyone know if this a mic or light sensor?
  18. Deerhead

Deerhead Be Safe Out There!

Oddometer:
    Has anybody physically installed a NAV V in a NAV IV side-buttoned cradle? I have both units and both cradles and the dealer, myself and Garmin BMW guys CANNOT get the NAV V to fit, try as I might!
    Ride Safe,
    Robert
  19. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:

Several people have reported that it will fit but it is tight, I think there is mention of a little mod (further back in this thread) that you do to make it easy to snap the V into the 4-button cradle.
  20. Deerhead

Deerhead Be Safe Out There!

Oddometer:

Thanks, BUT I believe your motto and modifying something under warranty is BAD JUDGEMENT IMHO!
    My problem is a simple fix, install the NAV V cradle and both units will fit. It just needs to be understood the NAV V won't fit a NAV IV buttoned cradle straight up.
    Again, thanks for the info.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert
    Ps the reason I bring this up is I had a 665 'tight' in the cradle because of closeness to my handlebars and after two units failing because of the unit's rear contacts not properly aligned I decided not to do that with the NAV V. My bad judgement event.