Facet #40171 Users Check In

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DockingPilot, Feb 28, 2008.

1. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Facet Pump's INLET Fuel source needs to be Filtered to protect the Pump Mechanism from damage.

When I talked with the Facet Engineer,

he suggested a 74 Micron Fuel Filter but Most, if not all Filters, are NOT marked with its filtering capacity.

The problem with most Fuel Filters in Stores are Opaque and Do Not have their Filtration Specs listed.

I found these Glass ones where you can see inside and they have been doing well for years:

http://www.bikebandit.com/biker-s-choice-fuel-filter-fittings-kit

<!-- / message -->
  2. mattc

mattc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine let fuel leak thru while sitting, and would flood the engine.

Did a Dr. Bean kit on my stock pump. All better, no rigging some junk into place that doesn't belong. MUCH better! :clap
  3. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    No contradiction here! :rofl
  4. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used the facet pumps on buggies since the 80's there is a small screen in many of the pumps that I've had clog up.

I used to use thermal epoxy to put a 1" AL heat sink on the big transistor on top and one on each side to help keep them cool. (They need a little ventilation... not a bunch but some.)

I've literally put a hundred thousand miles on them on multiple vehicles.

Cheers
    Dave
  5. superhak31

superhak31 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had a Carter and i neglected to put a pre filter inline = FAIL. Replaced with facet 40171 w/prefilter. Better pressure ratio and it works great. No fuel hydro locking like the carter/napa. 06' 950 adv/blk
  6. mattc

mattc Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Well, I look at it as a better of two solutions. One works fine for me without having some janky shit rigged up. The other works, but not as it is supposed to, and has to be "customized" into place.
  7. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's all good bud, just teasing.
  8. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    The eroding points are just one failure mode.
    Many stock 950 pumps also seize (the piston corrodes/seizes). Mine failed this way the night before I was planning to swap it out. In some cases, a sharp whack on the pump will free the piston and have it work again (for a limited time, I guess) - which is how I got home that night.
  9. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    My facet 171 died on a local ride. Only 60 miles through several puddles, had just hit the highway for the short stretch to home and the classic sputter and die. Ignition on, no click click from the pump. Used my AAA to get home and after sitting over night it worked again.
    I have a day trip this weekend and next weekend. Part of me says just go with it and carry my stock that was working when I did the Facet as "preventative maintenance."
    The other part says to check the stock points and put it back on. But I am hesitant because I am going to go with Dr. Bean and this would mean having to take it back off again.
  10. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just curious....had you just installed the Facet? Mine has been bulletproof for 30k miles.
  11. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    I believe there is maybe 10,000 miles on it. No more than 18,000. I installed it a year or two after I got the bike in 2010.
  12. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question for the group: Will the Facet keep pumping all the time without back pressure? I'm building a KTM 690 Quest: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1026063 The Quest typically uses a vacuum pump to push the fuel from the front tanks to the rear, where the fuel pump is located. The vacuum pump runs all the time, overfilling the rear tank until the front tanks are dry. Excess fuel is just routed back to the front tanks.

I think I could use a Facet on an as-needed basis (switched) to push fuel to the rear when I want fuel in the rear. But, the Facet would have no back pressure, and I don't know if the pump will keep pumping all the time when switched on. If all it does is prime and then stop as it does on my 950, that wouldn't work.

Any thoughts?
  13. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    The Facet pump, when connected in place of the original, works when it gets power from the ECU. When key is turned, it primes for a small period of 5 secs and then stops. When the motor is running, power is constantly on so the pump works continuously.
    OEM pump works on demand with pulses. When it finds pressure in the fuel lines, pulses stop, until fuel lines' pressure drops. Then pulses restart.
    Hope that helps.
    Cheers
  14. darkstarmoto

darkstarmoto Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer:
    I knew if I read this whole thing I'd find someone talking about this. This is exactly how I find my Facet plumbed by the PO, besides the obvious (having to remember there are 2 places to turn off fuel) does anyone have any other negatives that I'm not thinking of? Currently I kind of like this as it would let me use 1 tank as a "reserve" per say, or let's me isolate a tank say in case it gets a puncture or leaks for some reason.

[​IMG]
  15. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's exactly how mine is plumbed. The tanks can still balance and also be isolated. My rear tanks are also plumbed into the front line before the filter
    I also leave a small length of hose on the main fuel tap to drain fuel for other bikes or assist starting a camp fire, etc...