Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. happyclam

happyclam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    O.k. I did the spacer mod to original shock to match xrl front end., But it just sucks on pot holes and such. Anyway, i can't afford the right upgrade, and seems xr250 shock has mixed reviews. Read somewhere xr600 or 650 might work but couldn't find anything....Suggestions/advice welcome.
  2. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Seems as though - because they are meant to fit a "price point" - most standard shocks are rubbish. Yes , you can get CR250. AT shocks, old KLR shocks etc. that fit but then you're changing springs and to think that the CR250 valving is correct for a long travel TA is like thinking you'll win the national lottery just by buying a ticket.

In the long run, you'll be money ahead by saving up for a quality piece.
  3. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    i think( haven't seen it yet just pics ) i just bought a TRANSALP . 1988 Canadian model. same as a 1989 U.S but i believe different color scheme. can anyone post a photo of what needs to be done to the CDI's which are under the seat. i know you need to mount them sideways .what parts are needed and where to get them ?

thanks

north rider
  4. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:

North rider book mark this some place on your PC
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwYQrJT16ogVN3NaNVpld1V3VjA/edit?usp=sharing

Page #58 your answer
  5. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    thank you .looks like there is a lot of great info there.
    I'll post a photo of the bike when ( if ) i get it

thanks

north rider
  6. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm but you might like to review this link, there were quit a lot of changes from the 88 model vs 89 US model bikes, most are engine related. It may not be important but you should be aware of this for future reference.

http://www.ta-deti.de/ta/mods.html

7. R_Rick

R_Rick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe you will find that the 88 is closer to the 87 than to the 89 .... just different enough that you have to check and double check when ordering parts out of the US to ensure things will work. :deal
  8. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for all the help guys.

I'm not even sure what year it is. i bought it unseen . it looked like a good deal . I'll probably end up selling it or it will be used on gravel roads in order to save my AFRICA TWINS.
    I'm not worried about engine parts it only has about 21,000klms.mostly i want to replace some ( or all plastics ) and for that i always go to German eBay.

thanks

north rider
  9. Thunder Dan

Thunder Dan I don't like wallabies...

Oddometer:
  10. happyclam

happyclam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I knew you'd say that. Thanks. I'll start saving.
  11. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Dan,

Thanks for that. I didn't want to slam the K&N but I can't find any other path the dirt would be taking. I'll not use it in future.

Also, and this is IMPORTANT. I somehow still did not realize that the small drain plug on the bottom of the oil separator is so IMPORTANT.

Thinking about it.......if it gets lost or knocked off on a rock, your airbox downstream of the filter is open to the outside air.:eek1

I'm going to (a) shorten the drain tube so it's not hanging down so far and (b) put a real hose clamp on the end to make certain the plug stays put.

Glad you mentioned it.
  12. bartender

bartender Jack of all trades

Oddometer:
    So I've been going over my new 89 TransAlp and stumbled upon an oil line bolt that looks like it's one turn away from snapping off inside the head. This is precisely why everyone should always use a torque wrench when working on engines!

Anyway, it's a 7x26.5 banjo-type bolt for the oil line to the front cylinder head, part # 90085-MF5-000. It's discontinued. A few places have it "in stock" but really they don't, and will refund you when you order it.

Anyone have any ideas as to where to find a new one?

Thanks
  13. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Try the over-seas guys.

David Silver Spares from the UK

CMS (cms.nl) in the Netherlands

Also a really good Honda shop should be able to cross-ref that PN. I'll bet lots of other Hondas used it. Try the VT 500 twins and 700 Shadow.

Other guys who know Hondas better should also have some suggestions.

You can also maybe search for the part alone since other machines used banjo bolts.
  14. bartender

Oddometer:
    Honda used this bolt on a bunch of the small V-twins in the late 80's, including the NT650. Somehow Honda discontinued this part across the board without issuing a replacement part. Very frustrating.
  15. Jim Rowley

Jim Rowley Rise above

Oddometer:
    Can it be replicated on a lathe?
  16. dani_d

dani_d n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello!

I own two TA's and both of them developed weird sounds [​IMG] The first one is a 1988 Transalp, with 44k original miles(70.000 km's). The strange noise appeared around the 30k mile mark and it has gotten progressively worse.

This is the recording, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0lh7IX0TR4

What has been done:
    - removed valve lash (noise remains unchanged)
    - adjusted valves to specs
    - timing chain wear inspection (4.0/4.5mm front/rear, both under the 6.0mm service limit)
    - manually put more tension on the timing chains, by pushing the tensioner's blades further down. The engine sound has improved a bit, only lower pitched sounds are audible now. Rechecked the wear indicators and they now show 4.7mm, respectively 5.2mm. At the moment, I would say that the noises come 70% from the rear cylinder's timing side and 30% from the front cylinder's timing side.

Both timing chains are the original DID's (only '87 and '88 used DID).

==========================

The second one is a 1991 Transalp, with what I assume to be 70-100k miles. I can hear two distinct sounds, the "click, click" and a lower pitched one that seems to be the beginning of a timing chain rattle. For the "click, click" I can tell you that it's coming EXACTLY from the rear cylinder's exhaust downpipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psv6WvcqZlY

What has been done:
    - remove valve lash (noise remains unchanged)
    - adjust valves to specs
    - timing chain wear inspection (3.4/3.9mm front/rear, both under the 6.0mm service limit)
    - front cylinder is solid, all sounds come from the rear cylinder's timing side.

Both timing chains are Borg Warner - Morse ('89 onwards had them)
    I have yet to manually tension the chains on this one but will do so as soon as I can and keep you posted. For both bikes I am pretty sure that a timing component is to blame but I am also thinking of small end issues, worn ring grooves, etc.

I would like to ask you to take a listen and give me your opinion.
  17. Clockwatcher

Clockwatcher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Give my friend Rick a call at.....motocd.com.....he can help and you may not have to save as much.
    I use a Moab shock on my TA, works very well..........:clap
  18. bartender

Oddometer:
    Tracked down a dealer in Cincinnati that had 3 bolts in stock, so I bought all 3!
  19. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    The same bolt is used on the rear cylinder head for the same oil line.
  20. bartender

Oddometer:
    As far as I can tell Honda has discontinued that bolt across their entire line of engines that used it. That includes the NT650, VT500, and VT600 along with the TransAlp. I haven't been able to find a different part # from any other models either. Maybe I didn't look in the right places, who knows. I found some, so I'm cool. Thanks for the help guys.