What food do you pack for remote trips?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by GravelRider, Apr 29, 2013.

1. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    most folks I ride with share at dinner, and we come up with some pretty good food, but I'm gonna pass at tuna fish on crackers mixed with dry oatmeal followed by a power bar!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    buy at Sam's wholesale .. precooked bacon, excellent quality for $9 for 20oz ... much better than $19 for 9oz. got 6-8 bags on hand at any given time for emergency rations. spinkle on salads or fried potatoes or snak or whatever to keep bacon in rotation ... mmmm Good..

don't know what claimed shelf life is .. but have used packages 2-3 years old with little to no degradation of quality.

[​IMG]
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    If camping I take fishing gear with me and try to eat a fresh meal or two. Otherwise I usually take tuna snacks, cans of sardines, and some fruit.
  4. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    One thing I always take is brown basmati rice and tahini to top it.

Another one of my favorites is tamari almonds. Make them yourself by spreading raw almonds on a baking sheet, baking at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes (don't over do it), put a couple ounces of tamari in a bowl, dump in the hot almonds and mix around so all the almonds are coated, put almonds back on baking sheet to cool. Great filling healthy snack.
  5. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hmm good point, it doesnt sound great to me either. to some people eating is just refuelling, to others (like me) its one of their favourite hobbies

never thought about sharing cooking in a group before, we just do our own seperate thing. personally i usually eat straight out of the pan anyway, camp meals are simple, anything more complicated happens in the pub. there are few proper wilderness areas here that need you to fend for yourself more than one or two meals in a row
  6. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    or 72 slices for $10

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/hormel-black-label-fully-cooked-bacon-72-ct/154798.ip?navAction=

[​IMG]
  7. Tucson Jim

Tucson Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Package of ham, cheese, crackers.

Beef jerky. Jack Daniels.

No plates, pots or pans nor utensils.

If I want anything more than this I pull out my credit card at a local's cafe and have a (hopefully) pretty young girl bring me real food.
  8. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Apparently your idea of remote is different from most.

Cold bottled beer? Chips? Fresh meat and veggies? Grill? :lol3

I don't think I'd want to go on a "remote" ride with you, either. Where's that, the local state park? :huh

Jamie
  9. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    I've done plenty of good eating at remote campsites,as well as state parks wiseass, just happened to have those pics handy. just because your in the boonies doesn't mean you have to eat tree bark.
  10. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    You haven't contributed anything to this thread except to tell us that you wouldn't eat what everyone here has posted. You then post pictures of fresh meat, veggies, and seafood along with cold beer at a non-remote campsite with a large grill over the metal fire pit.

If this is indeed what you eat on a remote trip, than at least make that clear, and give us an idea of what and how you pack food, which seems so vastly different than what everyone else has posted. You've effectively snubbed your nose at all of the suggestions... Which would be cool, if only you had given some useful information on how you pack food for a remote trip.

As it is, this looks like a great selection of food, but hardly what one would pack for a remote trip. I've eaten plenty of great food camping... But only when I'm in a car with a cooler or close to a store where I can get fresh stuff... Which wouldn't really qualify as remote... Unless you have a different idea of remote than most of us.

Not trying to bust your balls... Just looking for useful on-topic info.
  11. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    sorry for the confusion, I do carry a couple backpacking meals in the saddlebag, but I really don't like them, only there as a last alternative, I find them too salty, and I can't carry enough beer to wash them down! my point being, even in remote areas, one can eat well with a little thought, stock up at the last gas stop, like said above, if there's gas, chances are there's gonna be food and beer. Some folks just don't like to cook after riding, that's fine, but I'm gonna try like hell to cook up something tasty and fresh. I do carry a small grill (cookie cooling rack!) when I'm in the boonies, and I always have a campstove, though cooking over a fire is always nicer, slower, and allows plenty of drinking time before dinner.
    lots of good backpacking do-it yourself food ideas out there that transfer well to bike use, I'll try to find the websites, been a while since I've looked any up, but a quick google search should turn up some sites.

my reply about not going into remote areas with these folks was supposed to be sarcastic, I'm sure they are all fine people and fun to ride with, I just like to eat good as well!

for what it's worth, I do a bit of backpacking also, so I have an idea what it takes to eat in the wilderness, and how it sucks to carry it all on your back! using a bike is like having a pickup truck!
  12. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply, and a little more info on how you go about it! Variety is always nice.

Speaking of small grills, has anyone tried the Grilliput?
  13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    No experience with that grill but they have been often talked about on the forum. They have mixed reviews, obviously compact but many find it finicky to put together. I usually take a small rigid bbq grill 12"×12".
  14. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    yeah, not sure about packing it back up after it's coated with burnt meat slime and such, plus, I'd probably lose half the pieces!
  15. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    leave it on the fire and burn the goo off, then just shake the ash off. it doesnt really matter if it gets caked up, all the bits fit inside one tube and goes in a clean plastic bag. its a bit fussy to put up/take down
  16. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    alky stove to boil water

small square backpacking skillet
    small backpacking cookset ( stove+fuel + windscreen+matches fit inside here)

[​IMG]

I buy this and repackage into smaller amounts, or buy the microwave cups and just use hot water in them
    [​IMG]

yellow squash/onion/butter/tobbasco in skillet on camp fire

[​IMG]
  17. wildlandbill

wildlandbill n00b

Oddometer:
    Costco in the area has been selling boxes of 10 Mountain House meals for just under $50. They're easy to fix with just hot water. I always bring along extra spices to add. Plus I usually stop when I can and try to pick up some fresh fruit to add, otherwise I use the dehydrated/freeze dried kind. Everything is always better with a reasonable amount of Oban.
  18. camgregus

camgregus riding gently now Supporter

Oddometer:
    on the banks of the mighty mississippi, AR side
    I always try to have soy packets from Chinese places and hot sauce.

Makes instant stuff way mo better.
  19. stbob

stbob   

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    tjzondrz likes this.