Plate your DirtBike.. whos first ?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by markwoodlief, Jan 2, 2012.

1. bill pierce

bill pierce I don't wana pickle

Oddometer:
    +1 I'm trying real hard to make sure everything will be within the law and it will stay that way, as in no parts removed or substituted after the inspection.

I don't want to see this screwed up because people want to cut corners.
  2. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As much as I hate governmental interference in our lives, I would support lowering a bit the current 105dba at 20 inch standard.

But for me to be involved with that sort of legislation I would need the chairmen of both the House and Senate transportation committees on board so that the bill had zero risk of getting hijacked (amended) somewhere in the process.

The last thing I want to deal with is a bill that drops the max from 105 to 98 getting jacked by committee members and have the 98 number changed to anything they want (which could be zero or less if some had their way).
  3. bill pierce

Oddometer:
    The problem is not with current limits, but enforcement of these limits. There is a steady stream of open pipe (mostly HDs) that roll thru my little town all summer long. I don't think any citations are being handed out or there would be a reduction of such hardware.
  4. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    True on the road side of the laws, but on the ORV side the law allows such loud bikes that there is little to bother to enforcement with the max sound level being so high.
  5. Dorian

Dorian huge carbon footprint

Oddometer:
    Good point. Let a sleeping dog lie is probably best. No-win.

A few years ago I asked a WSP motorcycle cop if they ever stopped loud bikes and cited them for excessive noise. She said "No, there's no way to sound test them in the field." :scratch
  6. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's like everything else.

In order to test for sound levels you need a sound tester.
    Money.

You need a certified operator.
    More money.

Maintenance for the tester.
    More money.

Specific unit to test for sound levels?
    More money.

Cost to defend results in court.
    More money.

Will the "revenue" generated by the fines cover the cost of operating the program?

Will the end results save lives or money?
  7. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, that is louder than most off road race sound checks, 98db watercooled, 102db air?! :huh
  8. mr. matteeanne

mr. matteeanne Bender can pass him

Oddometer:
    How does that ruin it for anyone? I plate them simply so I can ride our forest roads that require plates. Kitsap does not require an inspection on any vehicle. A life time of riding our forest roads, (in my hood) I have never ever seen any authority other than Conservation officers and rangers. Neither care what your riding only that you have a pass and are not hurting the environment.
  9. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The WSP is required to track statewide infractions written against dirtbikes with street plates and report the results back to the Legislature.

That way the people in the Legislature that don't like us have the ammo they need to change the laws if the report results make us looks like a bunch of law breaking assclowns.
  10. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    The wsp will be observing infarctions committed on converted bikes . lots of infractions from converted bikes may just be a nail in the coffin for the future of plated dirt bikes. WA is one of the few states that allow this. We are very lucky.

Bikes that never got their plates yanked or came originally with plates do not fall into this category. .Bikes that have been converted under SB5800 do.

ANY bike that was sold as off road only is required to be inspected and have the specific equipment installed for street use anywhere in WA:deal

Fact is that the converted bikes are under more regs and scrutiny than any other bike in this state.

Last I looked, Kitsap was in WA and if your riding a converted bike without the proper equipment you could end up adding to those statistics that may eventually shut it down for all.
    It sounds as though you may not have a converted bike?, if so you would be very much up to speed on the regs.
    I ride Kitsap quite often and have been stopped for a friendly checkout.

I'm all for running minimalistic equipment if you can legally do so,
    My personal dual sport has no blinkers,or horn but its not a converted dirt bike under the law.
  11. Dorian

Dorian huge carbon footprint

Oddometer:
    Now that is important info right there!
  12. bill pierce

Oddometer:
    OK revision B.

Do you guy's think that this fender extension, meets the criteria, and will pass inspection.

[​IMG]

NOTE: some genuine Honda parts were sacrificed in the construction of these fenders. That must count for something.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most places will sign you off with just the Baja Designs extension.
  14. shrubitup

shrubitup Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer:
    Just a general note out there. If you have an epic riding area or have found a loophole somewhere....... DON'T POST UP about it. Enjoy it for yourself and a few close friends else others will come in and ruin it for you. :wink:
  15. bill pierce

Oddometer:
    well at least not in a thread about compliance with the law:D
  16. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    After reading this entire thread I decided I'd join in on the fun. I'm looking at a non running 2005 DRZ400E for cheap (well not real cheap). Besides plating it ill need the lower it 2" and install an"S" subframe. Than maybe a 19" front wheel?? Stay tuned.
  17. RWBWheel

RWBWheel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, I want to introduce myself after 20 years of chasing fish and game I got the off-road bug again and liking different things than most brought home a couple Yamaha Bigwheels, not fast-but fun.
    One was plated in 1985 by an employee of the dealership and has had current tabs since. It's in great shape and although it does not have DOT rated tires currently (they now have them in correct sizes).
    It just has mirrors and a brake light.
    Am I in danger of losing the plate to a hot headed patrolman?
    would the '28 yr grandfather' count as the bike has not been changed.?
    I would not take it on the highway but to use trailhead to trailhead and on side roads its perfect cheap fun.I also have led blinkers/relay/horn/switches to add now for legality..

Thankyou to tod701 for fighting the good fight regarding these laws.

Although I now have the urge for a more capable bike after going and watching the 'Urban Asault ' riders..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep your tabs current and most likely all you could get is an equipment related ticket.

Worse case it might be possible to get the plate yanked, but I highly doubt it.
  19. bill pierce

Oddometer:
    It's official, now legal. I don't have to worry about the cops chasing me home anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big thanks to MASH in Spokane for making it all go smoothly. :thumb
  20. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like it has tires made for mischief :evil