Best Noob "Day Trip" Trail/Ride in So Cal? La Verne/Los Angeles

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Rhino-1, Nov 19, 2010.

1. thunderdoggie

thunderdoggie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    when it's wet I try to stay away from riding on the street, I think a trip to Gorman would be just right. the rain should keep most of the morons away, the trails are just epic when wet, and help is not too far off if you get into trouble. I might take my CRF450 and go to the MX track for few laps and then hit some of the trails. but I'm open to all ideas.
  2. Rhino-1

Rhino-1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How far is Gorman? I don't mind trucking my bike out. Is it noob friendly? I'm up for learning anything, but not trying to climb cliff faces or clear doubles my first time out... :D
  3. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    I won't go all the way to Gorman from the Redlands area, but I've been there (Hungry Valley SVRA) and can tell you it's fairly noob-friendly. A lot of the trails are very soft, though so it's like riding in sand. The trails up through the hills are pretty cool though. They're marked according to difficulty, so just pay attention to that and you'll be fine. If I was going to go to Gorman, though, I would bring my ATV. But at 12 mpg and traffic, and a 2+ hour drive each way, I'll have to pass. :)

Rob
  4. thunderdoggie

thunderdoggie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I-5 north just before Frazier Park, It's got a little of everything. The MX track would be a little too much for the BRP, but on a lighter bike is a lot of fun, and I'm usually the slowest guy out there. The biggest plus is that it is not too far from civilization, and help is close at hand should you need it. If Gorman (Hungry Valley) is too far, Cleghorn, or Stoddard Wells, should be fun with lots of easy sections. It be nice if someone familiar with the area could join in. Ben99R1 where are you?
    Also some guys were looking to go to Rowher Flats for a mud ride on Sunday. check out R-F breakfast club.
  5. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd be up for another Cajon Pass area ride, rain or shine.
    Plenty of noobish roads to choose from, even more fun when wet.
    Cleghorn can get a little slippy slimey. Baldy Mesa turns to pudding with enough agua.

-M
  6. Rhino-1

Rhino-1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good!
  7. thunderdoggie

thunderdoggie Adventurer

Oddometer:

I don't know the area very well, so if you know your way around, I'm good with Cajon Pass. What type of bike and fuel range?. I'd like to take out my CRF450R, if possible otherwise it's the plated BRP :evil
  8. Rhino-1

Rhino-1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I'll be on a plated BRP... :D And I'm really a noob guys--no sh*t, no-sandbagging, etc., LOL!!!
  9. rider914

Oddometer:
    Yeah... you could say I know the area well :augie
    KTM 525EXC, ~150 mile range (but you won't need that much).

If anybody wanted to drive out, you could probly park a truck at one of the gas stations at Lytle Creek.

-M
  10. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ear
  11. thunderdoggie

thunderdoggie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sounds good, I'll truck in and find a place off Sierra ave and I-15, may be across from Shell gas station. white Toyota Tacoma with a XR650 in the back.
    what time do you start? would 8:30- 9:00 work for you guys?
    I'll be driving from woodland hills, so if anybody else from San Fernando valley or LA want to join in, I'll have room for one more bike.
  12. Rhino-1

Rhino-1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    9:00 am sounds good--I'll be trucking my bike too. Ben, maybe we can truck pool up?

Sunday's my b-day, so it'd be cool to get a nice ride in in the morning!
  13. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ill let you know if I can make it tomorrow. If I can make it, can you swing by and pick me up? What time do you have to be home? I usually need to be home around 6pm on Sunday's. Ben
  14. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any spacific meet location? Us lurkers would kindly Like to know, I'm a noob in need
  15. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'M IN Be nice to ride again with you Matt:clap Now where do we meet?
  16. Rhino-1

Rhino-1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, no prob Ben. And I need to be home early too (my birthday dinner AND church).

Let's see if rider or thnderdoggie pick a meeting spot for us.
  17. rider914

Oddometer:
    So, have you guys settled on sunday?

I ride from home, usually take the surface roads west of I15 up to Lytle Creek (Sierra Ave) and stop at the Valero to fill up. Dirt starts about 1/2 mile away.

Any of the other stations will do. You guys decide which one. I expect there should be someplace to park a truck unmolested, but i've never tried.

9am is good, but i'd suggest truckers get there early to unload and be ready.

Shortish day is fine, especially if bad weather.

Lunch at Summit Inn, then head back?

-M
  18. thunderdoggie

thunderdoggie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok Sunday it is, kick stands up at nine. lets meet up at the "shell gas" Sierra ave exit off of I-15. there is a Mac D's, Jack in the box, Starbucks and Am/pm all on the same corner so if anybody wants to get a bite to eat or maybe find some shelter if it's pouring down, they can.:deal
  19. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Where is this exactly? Sierra Ave and I-15? Sounds fairly close to San Bernardino, is that true? I might join you guys if so. I'll ride out on my DR650. Or was that a typo and you meant I-5?

Edit: Oh wait, found it. That's only a half hour from me. I might just join you if you don't mind.

Rob
  20. thunderdoggie

thunderdoggie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No typo, I-15 just a couple of miles North of 210/15 intersection.