IndyCar, just racing

Discussion in 'Racing' started by shrineclown, Nov 11, 2011.

1. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
  2. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    Bummer news, I fear there will be more before St. Pete. I feel bad for Hinchcliffe, he showed promise. Hope he can put a deal together. Hard to justify making too many changes that cost owners money at this point in time. Carl is another one who plays in NASCAR too, recently winning the championship. (Danica went to his team there.) I guess I am putting another tally in for the France's on this one. Their sheet is getting pretty full.
  3. Strombony

Strombony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bummer about newman-haas.
    shineclown: I think gene haas of stewart haas racing is different
    than carl haas of newman-haas racing.
    I hope they can fix the dw12 car and bring it up to speed.

matt
  4. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummer about Newman Haas- I googled both Gene and Carl Haas. Carl was a 50's/60's race driver turned owner. He imports race parts as well. Gene was a machinist who won a patent on CNC machine tool products, thereby making his fortune. Both had NASCAR teams for quite awhile, but during different era's.
  5. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    My mistake then....I thought Carl and Gene were co-owners with Stewart in the team. I may very well be wrong....

I could swear I spotted Carl at the victory lane celebration for Stewart....maybe not. I'll have to do some research tonight.

I do know Pantah is right about Carl being in the auto parts business and Gene inventing his CNC machines. I thought Carl actually manufactured some parts too.

Well, after over an hour of research. It seems the media is as confused as I am/was. I thought when the whole deal got put together that Gene was in a little hot water and Carl was partnered up to cover in his absence. I do think that is wrong, but I can find information saying he is involved and that he is not. I would say the more reliable source says it is just Gene and Tony. It seems the media may be infusing Carl's name when they should actually be using Gene's. But with a lack of images to go along, I can't tell who they are really talking about. My apologies for adding to confusion. Either way, it is still another tally for NASCAR.

Randy had better hold on tight if he is going to make the bell. And, he better be spurring like a windmill in a gale. I'm sure he is...............
  6. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Drag a Bag!

Oddometer:
    Wow, that is shocking and sad. I think the cachet of the team was tied to Paul Newman, and I'm guessing his loss is finally catching up to them. That guy had something about him that attracted people and sponsors, and I guess it is what made him a star. He passed in late 2008, so any of the typical three year associate sponsor contracts are now finished.

This is a big loss for IndyCar in terms of on track competition, and an even bigger loss to the overall prestige of the series.

Years ago, Richard Childress was experimenting with the idea of taking his NASCAR team public and issuing stock. It never happened, and I don't know the exact reasons why (although I can guess a few), but this might be the time for IndyCar teams to consider that option. I'm sure a number of people would buy into a racing team just to say they are an "owner," and a bunch of $20 bills can add up to some real money.
  7. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think that would be such a good idea. If you go public you either have to show growth or pay significant dividends/distributions. If you can't deliver that, the asset goes to nothing. Ducati tried to go public and failed. The Boston Celtics went public through an MLP for awhile, but that didn't work either. The Green Bay Packers are sort of publicly held, but you won't see shares trading anywhere and the few transactions that occur are closely held among townies. That might work, but IndyCar aint the Green Bay Packers! :lol3
  8. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Huge bummer.
  9. pbarmy

pbarmy Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK so I know hes a nascat now but I saw FORMER Indy car champ and 500 winner Sam Hornish Jr. at a Social Distortion concert last Sat.Pretty cool I think.:freaky
  10. shrineclown

Oddometer:
  11. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    LAS VEGAS -- Track owner Bruton Smith said Wednesday he expects the IndyCar Series to honor its contract with Las Vegas Motor Speedway and return to the track in 2012.

Smith, owner of Speedway Motorsports Inc., has two years remaining on his contract to hold the IndyCar season finale at Las Vegas. IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard has yet to announce the 2012 schedule, and is awaiting the results of the investigation into Dan Wheldon's fatal accident at Las Vegas to decide if the series can continue to run on high-banked ovals.

"We have two years left on that contract and I expect Randy to honor it," said Smith, who leased the property to IndyCar in a three-year contract.

Smith also said he wants IndyCar back at Texas Motor Speedway, one of the most popular venues in the series. IndyCar has not completed its sanctioning agreement with Texas, and potentially could drop both Las Vegas and Texas from the schedule over concerns of racing on high-banked ovals.

At a NASCAR event in downtown Las Vegas, Smith was critical of Bernard's indecision and called on the CEO to honor his agreements with Speedway Motorsports Inc.

"I like Randy a lot, but he listens to too many people," Smith said. "He's listening to people who don't know a damn thing about speedways and there's no reason in the world he should not be back at Las Vegas and Texas next year."

Wheldon, a two-time Indianapolis 500 winner, was killed in the Oct. 16 season finale at Las Vegas in a fiery 15-car accident.

Since the accident, critics have complained IndyCar is not suited for high-banked ovals and there have been calls for the series to abandon the tracks. The Las Vegas race has been scrutinized over the high speeds, the crowded 34-car field and a varied experience level on ovals among the drivers as contributors to the accident.

Now Texas has fallen under scrutiny, even though the facility has hosted a race every year since 1997. The track last season split its 500-mile race into a pair of 250-milers in a trumpeted twinbill.

"There's never been a problem at Texas. Never, ever, ever," Smith said. "I have no idea why all of a sudden Texas would be considered not suitable for IndyCar."

Meanwhile, Smith said he has verbally requested a second race at Las Vegas from NASCAR chairman Brian France and plans to put it in writing for the 2013 season. Smith has long wanted two races for Las Vegas, and has called on NASCAR to move its season finale from Homestead-Miami Speedway to his property.

"It would be for the good of the sport for the season to end at Las Vegas and everybody knows that," Smith said. "Everybody wants to be in Las Vegas. That's not a secret to anyone and NASCAR should do the right thing and move that finale here."

Smith successfully lobbied NASCAR to move its season-ending awards ceremony from New York to Las Vegas three years ago, and LVMS officials hosted Wednesday's event -- a version of "The Newlywed Game" with host Bob Eubanks and the 12 Chase drivers -- in downtown Las Vegas.

The awards ceremony is Friday night at the Wynn Las Vegas Resort.
  12. Dagofast

Dagofast Owner of one clean o-ring.

Oddometer:
    Maybe he forgot about Kenny Brack? :bluduh
  13. Wallace

Wallace Seat belt tight babe?

Oddometer:
    Add Davey Hamilton to that list of non events. :rolleyes
  14. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    I don't know if I missed it previously, but I just read this morning that Dan Weldon had signed a deal with Andretti and GoDaddy for 2012 just hours before the Vegas race.
  15. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    That is news to me, so I missed it too if it was announced. I know they had been talking, but did not know it was a signed deal. That is really not something that they would probably talk about though after the tragedy. I kind of question that though, the Go Daddy people were pretty adamant that NASCAR is where they are getting a return on investment. I am not sure if that was just a dig at the establishment or they truly feel that way. From an exposure standpoint, that is a no brainer. Most racing fans are pretty good about supporting those who help fund the sport though. NASCAR fans are known to be the best at it by most marketing dept. analysis.

Do you have a source for that RR?
  16. RedRocket

Oddometer:

I tried to find it but couldn't. When I searched I found lots of rumors so maybe what I read was true, or maybe it was a rumor that was spoken as true.
  17. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
  18. RedRocket

Oddometer:

Car & Driver, Feb 2012. A Steven Cole Smith article.
  19. shrineclown

Oddometer:

Of course, since I get Motor Trend. :D I'll try to hunt it up when the trucks are in.
  20. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I find it surprising that there has been no mention here of Beaux Barfield hire by Indycar.

Should be a positive for the series and, having got to know him via S.C.C.A. racing back in the '90s, he has plenty to offer. IMO, a genuine good guy.