Wilbers, Ohlins, or now Touratech?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by longtallsally, Jan 4, 2013.

1. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    I've been lamenting the shocks in my '07 GSA for a long time and although not blown, definitely tired.

I have some serious action on someone buying my track bike, so I can now be serious. I searched a good bit here and found good info (that I more or less knew) on Wilbers and Ohlins, but nothing on the new TT stuff.

When we lived in Germany, I was invited to come to the Wilbers factory and have a set made for the bike. I didn't want to spend the money and frankly lost all interest in riding there, so I never got around to it. Now that we are back, I'd have Dan Kyle (Kyle Racing) build a set of Ohlins for me as he is a god (built the forks for my track bike).

However, I recently found these: http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3476/Touratech-Suspension-for-BMW-Motorcycles on expedition portal of all places.

Anyway, I wouldn't be looking at the crazy high end one in the rear, but the middle of the road one. Coupled with the front shock, it would actually (and kinda amazingly) be cheaper than a set of Ohlins to be built.

I'm 6'7" 230lbs and do beat the bike pretty good. I'm not as concerned with the valving as I am the spring (thus why I don't think I need high and low speed adjustments to the damping rate).

Any thoughts?
  2. drdfblackm

drdfblackm VeeFeer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just saw a similar query about TT shocks within the last few days here, and I thought someone responded that they were rebranded HyperPros.

Since Elkas were mentioned, I'm very happy with mine but then I've always liked every aftermarket brand shock I've owned.
  4. longtallsally

Oddometer:
    Not a bad choice and I forgot about them.

I just called Dan and spoke for a bit and he had a really good sales pitch in that how often do you see other brands in racing and like? Name someone in any form of motorsports that has not heard of Ohlins? I also like the idea of supporting a local guy who I personally trust in his skills (not to mention he was AMA tech of the year for a couple years back in the day).

He also mentioned that he thought he read that the internals of the TT shocks were done by WP. Another good name, but the tech that TT is using is something he said was last updated by Ohlins in '05, so basically an old design.

Right now I'm back to leaning toward Ohlins as they will raise the bike up a touch as well, which is something I want.

Price wise, everyone is within a couple hundred dollars of each other...
  5. jachard

jachard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yacugar.

Ted Porter at the Beemershop sells them. Best of both worlds, Steel bodies (these bikes are heavy, I know some tout Al bodies are better but I've worked in the racing industry and unless you like rebuilding shocks, steel is a better option), AL accessories, custom built to your specs. Plus a 5 year warantee..

There is no way Touratech can claim dampening works correctly right out of the box, that has to be tuned for rider weight, style etc.

Frankly, anything I've seen with the Touratech name on it seems to be WAAAAY overpriced for what you are getting. I spec'ed my yacugars almost like their extremes and my price was 35% less...
    slime likes this.
  6. longtallsally

Oddometer:
    Well said.
    slime likes this.
  7. jachard

jachard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plus, I bet you can go right to Tractive direct and order from them. They look a little similar to Yacugar in the sense that they spun off from WP when they moved....
  8. longtallsally

Oddometer:
    My only concern is support and it's why I didn't completely jump on Wilbers initially. Ohlins dealers are all over the place and can get serviced fairly easily anywhere in the country.

Also, my initial setup will be from an expert who I personally trust.

Not arguing, but I'd never even heard of that company previously.
  9. jachard

jachard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since you are in the decision stage, definitely give Ted a call. He is a dealer for a bunch of different brands. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

Good luck and let us know how you make out, properly set up shocks transform a bike!

Cheers, James
  10. JStancampiano

JStancampiano PhotoJoe

Oddometer:
    I had Racetech rebuild my rear shock at 56k miles...did a good job and shock is better than new ($162.00)

Just a less expensive alternative,

Joe
  11. longtallsally

Oddometer:
    Exceptional input! However, one of my real problems is that the spring itself is not enough for me and how I load and ride the bike. Do you think they can swap in a higher rate spring? If that is possible, I might get off real cheap...
  12. aGremlin

aGremlin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think all the main players in aftermarket have a good product.

For me, support was also crucial as I do a lot of km, so the shocks will need servicing etc. Ohlins has a very good dealer 400km from me, none of the others have such excellent support, so I went for Ohlins...

Loving it :D
  13. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    (Big fan of Kyle Racing as well...love his know-how)
  14. (I^2)R/746

(I^2)R/746 Rider

Oddometer:
    Dan Kyle set me up on my M900. Ohlins springs in the front and Ohlins rear. Works great.

Ted Porter set me up with Yacugar on the GS. Built to spec for sport touring taking into account riders (me and my girl) and luggage. Works great. (BTW Yacugar is Hyperpro has their name on some parts even).

Guess my point is different stuff for different bikes.

I NEVER ride the M900 2-up. Took the rear pegs off. Luggage? Are you kidding me? It sees sunny days only and I act like a hooligan on it. It's a miracle I have a clean record <insert sound of knocking on wood>. So the Ohlins are what I want there. Street legal track bike. Sort of. Got a plate and lights anyways......

The GS is the everyday and travel bike. It sees trips through Yosemite, Nevada, Oregon, etc, etc.. With luggage and passenger. But not always. Sometimes the little jaunt from Santa Cruz to San Francisco via the backroads just solo. Certainly it's the wet weather bike. For this application Ohlins just didn't fit the bill. Mostly because of their more frequent rebuild interval, but also because the Ohlins folks (Dan Kyle) admitted that basically it would be a compromise for me. So it came down to Yacugar or Wilburs. After a long conversation with Ted on the subject I went with Yacugar. They are a great shock and fit the bill perfectly.

Any one of these products is going to cost a similar amount of money. I suggest you consider first what the application is then select the product that specializes in it.
  15. longtallsally

Oddometer:
    That is great input and certainly food for thought.

Someone is going to look at the track bike in the morning, so I may be able to get the order ready to rock VERY soon.

You sold me on at least looking at the yacugar stuff, so we'll see...
  16. viz

viz I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer:
    Recently had a set of custom Wilbers made up - Wilburs because a highly respected guy in my area recommended them *for my application*...

We went through a lot of trouble to get our (me and the missus) weights right, fully clothed and all the luggage we would take on a trip. Then also solo without luggage. What I got was a package that worked from the bottom of the adjustment scale and went up from there; old shocks I had adjusted right to the top with nothing left and at 27,000 miles sagged badly - and unevenly from the front. Now the sag is even, very even, and minimal (within spec).

Biggest improvements - first off: way improved steering, regardless of load. I'll stress that - WAY improved. Better turn in, minimal countersteer, no more saw-toothing. Next - way improved handling of slow speed bumps (no more bottoming out) and high speed bumps, with a large adjustment range on the remote canister for both.

I think that if you went the way I did, any shock manufacturer is going to cost, with Öhlins being at the top, by far. I paid AUD$2300 for front and rear - worth it? Yeah - I got a new bike out of it...

Rear, showing high speed (red) and low speed (blue) bump adjusment. Note rebound adjustment is on the bottom of the shock
    [​IMG]

Rear, showing remote preload.
    [​IMG]

Front - has rebound adjustment, something the stock unit did not have
    [​IMG]

viz
    slime likes this.
  17. longtallsally

Oddometer:
    Well the track bike sold yesterday. I did some more research and I think Ohlins is the way I'm going.

This is for a few reasons, but primarily b/c it looks like we'll be staying in CA for a bit longer (there was a possibility a couple days ago that we were moving to CO) and since Dan was so good to me in the past, I think I can't go wrong there.

He's going to confer with the Ohlins guys as well since I told him that I jump the bike from time to time, so he's going one notch higher for the spring in the rear.

I've wanted shocks in the pig for 4 years, so this is really a big deal for me and I'm quite certain will make me fall in love with the bike all over again.
  18. longtallsally

Oddometer:
    The new hotness! I can't wait to get them installed!

[​IMG]

After telling Dan my weight, luggage and everything, he actually said he'd like to go up one more step in the spring from what Ohlins suggested in the rear. So we'll see, but I'm quite certain it will be a night and day improvement on the bike.
  19. Shred Head Fred

Shred Head Fred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got new TTX setup for my '07 GSA ADV and I'm in the process of installing. It's been a bit more work than I had expected, but hope to be up and running over the weekend. I want to give Dan at Kyle Racing a big :thumbup for help and service on the purchase. If you haven't looked at the new TTX (twin tube) design you should take the time to study the hydraulic schmatics and compare to earlier models. :eek1
  20. viz

viz I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer:
    Are able to let us know how much? :evil

viz