1200GS Fuel Pump Flange Crack

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by davegaz, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    DOH I guess I am stupud, :lol3 I keep wanting to register my bike with NHTSA but can never find the right site to do it at. If someone could shoot me a link that works it would be greatly appreciated.

Marc
  2. 1200gsceej

1200gsceej wanabee overachiever

Oddometer:
    Post #117 or #164 maybe?
    Or yet again - File a Vehicle Safety Complaint
  3. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    BMW has a chance to fix 3 defects all in one shot. New flange caps that are shaped properly to not puddle water, made out of a proper material that doesn't crack, with new fuel strips attached. Wishful thinking, probably they will just put on some clamps. Oh wait, that is their solution so far. Pitiful. :cry
  4. jachard

jachard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My apologies if this has been answered in this thread earlier but I didn't see it.....

Does this effect 2012 MY bikes? Just wondering since I just got a 2012 GS and will be using it for some longer trips and would like to address this now. Also, do the new bikes come with metal or plastic quick disconnects?

Cheers, James
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    2012 bikes have a ring attached to prevent cracking. You still have the plastic Quick Disconnects. I wouldn't sweat the QDs for now. When you get around 36K you ming want to consider upgrading the QDs to metal.

Jim :brow
  6. jachard

jachard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim, Great, thank you for the response!

Cheers, James
  7. TuefelHunden

TuefelHunden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2011 has the metal ring. Probably a mid-year production change. IMO, plastic quick disconnects are crap. Ask any of the 955i Triumph guys. The plastics would crack and leak like a sieve. Metal with viton o-rings are the best.
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    True, I should have said mid 2011 bikes and forward. I was just responding to his question about a 2012.

Thanks,

9. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Go now.

Oddometer:
    I took my 2008 GSA into Alamo BMW in San Antonio yesterday to see if BMW would do a good will warranty as some other had suggested and BMW came back 5 hours later that they would replace all of the parts of both the right and left side of the tank if I would agree to pay fro the labor which I am completely fine with!

It was some of the best news I had received all day!:clap
  10. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Go now.

Oddometer:
    BMW stood up and did the warranty on not just the fuel pump flanges but also the fuel pumps themselves. As I agreed to the out the door cost was 206.80 for the labor costs which I felt more than reasonable since the bike has been out of warranty for some time now.

So take your bike on down and it should not be too much of a problem.:D

Cheers,

Darin
  11. Visian

Visian Look out! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having gone through the process with the Beemer Boneyard collar and metal connectors, things were going pretty good on my HP2e for nearly 6 months.

Then, on the last ride, after filling the tank, I had gas leaking out from underneath the whole plastic plate.

I checked to see if the collar that holds the whole assembly into the tank was tight enough, and it was a tiny bit loose. After tightening using the two screwdriver method I still had a leak when the tank was full. The leak is very minute, but enough to catch fire, eh?

I've ordered a new gasket and plan to put in shortly.

Has anyone had issues with the gasket before, and is there anything special I need to know about putting a new one in?

Thanks!

12. Visian

Visian Look out! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Answering my own question for others to learn from....

The gasket that seals the junction between the fuel pump assembly and the tank is fitted to a lip on the tank first... and then the fuel pump assembly is pushed in. The fit is pretty tight.

My bike's previous owner had the HPN tank fitted by a dealer (not my dealer, Bobby), and when I removed the fuel pump assembly to fix the leaking flange, the gasket came with it. So the dealer must've put it in wrong too because I can't see how it would come out this way if assembled correctly.

It's hard to believe that it didn't leak sooner! :huh

13. flemsmith

flemsmith lurk

Oddometer:
    ....I have two 051200GS bikes, one is my wife's. Getting ready for a 2-up trip, I kept smelling gas on my bike, I've already had problems early in this or similar thread, tried JB-Weld, didn't hold for long, so tried the loctite epoxy that is supposed to be gas impervious, but put it over the failed JB weld. That held for a coupla years, but is now leaking. So I swapped tanks with my wife's bike, which is pretty unmolested, put a Beemer Boneyard clamp around her flange which had a slight crack, but no leaking gas, and now I'm all ready to leave.....but when I get back I need to deal with Cyndi's bike and my old tank.

Only two options I can think of are to empty it, try using my dremel tool to cut thru all the epoxy without damaging the flange, (yeah, right) and buy another boneyard clamp to see if that stops the leaks. (My flange was much more cracked than Cyndi's).

Or else to buy a whole fuel tank top end assembly and replace the whole damn thing. Pretty sure it's over $400. Is there another option I'm not tuned into because I haven't been worrying about this until today?

thanks for any advice.

roy
  14. cnj3

cnj3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same problem on my 2006 GS with 59000 miles, leaking around cracked flange. Anyone had luck with Beemer Boneyard fix of JB Weld and their collar on the flange with cracks? Leaving for Alaska in 6 weeks and looking for a good solution
  15. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Before repairing my '09 GSA, I read too many reports about JB Weld failures. I used the stuff Beemer Boneyard sends with the clamps. It's been in place about 5 months and I've had no problems at all.

Mike
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Do it like I did: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852502

17. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    I checked my flange, and surely enough, it was cracked!

[​IMG]

Since it is not leaking, can I simply install the clamp without replacing the quick disconnects?
    I have a 07GS and my right side looks different from Jim's

[​IMG]
    Looks like it doesn't need any upgrades.
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Gene, buy the clamp and bring it to the tech day. IMHO, get the QD's as well.

19. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    Jim, I'm planning to do just that! I don't think replacing the QDs will be beneficial. If I had to remove the female part from the flange, than it would be better to replace it, but since it is not leaking yet, I'd rather keep the factory seal and lightweight plastic parts to reduce stress on the flange.
  20. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:

I hope keeping the factory plastic QDs works for you. On my '09 GSA, one broke into two pieces when I removed it while the other just cracked a little. Needless to say, they were quite brittle and I was sure glad I had the metal ones in stock! I'm just guessing but I suspect the ethanol contributed to the OEM QDs failing.

Mike