The BMW HP2 Megamoto thread.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Joe Bar, Sep 27, 2008.

1. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    BMW Las Vegas had some people drop by on the new liquid cooled GSs. Before they got there, they showed me a '12 GSA. It felt heavier than the MegaMoto (obviously) and the gearing felt a lot shorter as well. It had the ESA system on it and holy crap, comfort stage is like riding on a cloud. The sport mode felt very similar to my MegaMoto suspension. After all the hoopla of the international riders, I rode my bike back home.

Conclusion: Still not going to sell my bike. But I'll definitely add one to keep the MegaMoto company.
  2. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good plan:deal:evil:D
  3. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everytime I ride mine, it just puts a smile on my face. The bike HAS to be ridden on two lane twisty backroads to make it really shine. It's amazing how responsive the steering is and the downshifting torque and then throttling out of a turn is so damn FUN- @ 5000rpm, it's like a turbo!
    I sold mine once, but I can't see ever letting it go again!
  4. ViperJustin

Oddometer:
    As much as I keep thinking about that GSA, there's just no way I can give up the MegaMoto. It has too much character! It's light, flickable, the engine is intoxicating (vs a normal boxer), and it's RARE!
  5. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    when I had only my MM, I decided to go to a second hand HP2E (17.000 km - 10.563 miles) instead of a new GS DOHC. Pratically same price but the HP2 line if far more exiting than this common GS product.
    And also, some parts can be switched from a bike to the other :rofl
  6. fixinbones

fixinbones Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I made that fatal mistake :cry
  7. ViperJustin

Oddometer:
    Today's ride? Almost 300 miles of slabbing, into a 20 mph head wind both ways (damn Nevada weather!!!). I did it to test my set up for the upcoming PCH trip. Unfortunately, the first two days will include 1000 miles of long, straight, back country roads.

I think I may need an aftermarket seatpad.
  8. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Justin,
    Did you buy an aftermarket windscreen? It makes a hell of a difference. Also, Kendon makes some nice trailers 'til you get to the gold coast :evil
  9. ViperJustin

Oddometer:
    Trailer?!?!? Blasphemy!!! Not even my Harley riding best friend trailers his bike.

I have the isetta windscreen. I also have a tank bag that cuts down the turbulence a little bit. Being 6'5", I'm in the wind on almost any bike.
  10. joon

joon Calamari

Oddometer:
  11. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hooked up for a HP2 photo op with these 3 guys that came up from the San Diego area...Hopefully, meeting up for a ride tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
  12. Macroenie

Macroenie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    not created by me but there is a Facebook page for our beloved bike
  13. ViperJustin

Oddometer:
    That price makes me feel better about the value of mine...
  14. szazbo

szazbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Justin,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    My feelings are that if you have the time, then moto to your hearts content on the highways to get to the areas that you really want to ride. My problem is that I never have the time. As an example last weekend we could have ridden our HP2’s 3 hours and 175 miles on the freeway from San Diego through Los Angeles traffic on a Friday night to get to Ventura where our weekend ride was going to start. <o:p></o:p>
    As it was we didn’t get out of San Diego until after 8pm and into bed after 11:30. For us trailering was a great choice to get through LA. Saturday morning woke up nice and fresh ready for our 300 mile day that was planned. Sunday we arrived back into Ventura around 7:30 with a weekend total of over 600 miles of tight twisty roads. The thought of a 3 hour ride back through LA to San Diego was not on my list of fun things to do. SO I think that there is a time and place for a trailer trip.
    I will post a RR later. Great trip
  15. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've just done a sex wee:rofl:rofl:D
  16. edzt

edzt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had my MM for a couple of years now and love it to bits
    I've often wondered why the 'mudguard' under the seat has been cut short. It doesn't bother me 'cos it's fitted with a hugger
    Anybody got an idea as to why it was cut?

Can someone post a pic of a 'normal' one please

[​IMG]
  17. Rangy

Rangy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have sent you a PM about this.
  18. ViperJustin

Oddometer:
    After receiving nearly everything I need, I loaded up the MegaMoto for a short test run. I can definitely feel the weight from the bags and braking distance has increased as well. I still have 52 days before I roll out, but I'm excited as hell! While on the ride, Ill try to update you guys here in real time. I'll be sure to write a nice ride report as soon as I get back.

May 22nd couldn't get here fast enough! Well, back to studying for my midterms.
  19. Rangy

Rangy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's taken a few months after sliding off the track into a tirewall to get the bike back on the road. In the end I had to replace the rear rim, get the front rim straightened and do some bending to the rear section of the frame. The rear subframe has been replaced with a steel one, and the rear panels have been covered with a sticker that is the colour of the tank (so doesn't exactly match the white on the seat). If it lasts ok, it will be easier to clean. If not I'll respray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Rangy

Rangy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out this page of Macfly's which explains it well:

http://www.hp2.info/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65