800GS shock bolt design flaw?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by johngil, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Manual is on DVD and you can print pages to PDF
    Buy DVD at BMW dealer or online.
  2. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    What Indy said. I used the Windows snipping tool to make a jpeg image, but print to PDF works too. I find snip is quicker.

Dyslexics untie!
  3. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you Dan for letting me help you with the kit install!!! That was a great time for sure. See you next time I am in town or when you come down my way. :freaky
  4. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    I admit I havent followed this thread at all last year. Are you guys still having problems with bent bolts / frames???

I thought Indys solution seemed pretty good.I ask because I am back in the market for another bike and doing my usual research.

Has anyone figured this out yet?
  5. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Pulled my rear shock yesterday while servicing the swingarm pivot and the Indy kit has kept my bolt straight. I don't do crazy jumps or anything but do weigh 220 plus gear and the stock bolt had bent slightly. Every F800GS owner I meet gets a sales pitch from me on the Indy kit.

6. dbh

dbh d00d

Oddometer:
    Ordered my kit today - will use it with a new Elka - all should arrive in time for my birthday. Which will be spent, wrenching and riding. It's all good.
  7. joew_33

joew_33 n00b

Oddometer:
    Have the 2013 F700GS with Indy kit installed with roller bearings and Öhlins shock. The 2013 plastic side cover is too narrow to allow me to have used the replacement bolt (the head is too fat), so I had to reuse the factory bolt which has a smaller profile head. I did use Igus spacers (I used IGlide M250 model spacers in 26 MM OD, 20 MM ID and cut to length on both sides). Thanks Indy for supporting us!! What do you recommend in terms of a replacement upper shock bolt for a 2013 model to accommodate the lack of clearance for a fat bolt head? Do you suggest I order up a bushing as posted to replace the needle bearing?
  8. Indy Unlimited

Oddometer:
    Just PM me your mailing address and I will send you a new bushing in the mail.
    You can use any grade bolt since my sleeve protects the bolt from seeing any bending load. The Grade 8 bolts I provide are socket head and stick out a little farther but I did not know that was an issue on the 2013. I now offer Igus spacers precut to 10 mm length as standard for aftermarket shocks.
  9. joew_33

joew_33 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all. Just received the new Indy Oilite 20x26x20 bushing. If anyone has any photos or experience with the new bushing, please share with the collective team. Thank you.
  10. dbh

dbh d00d

Oddometer:
    Installed a new Elka with the Indy kit last weekend. Rides like a dream.
    And it is a nice piece of kit - too bad nobody will ever see it!
    I can't imagine what it would take to bend that bolt now.
    Maybe the problem has not become such that BMW is considering redesigning this shock mount, but until then I heartily advise this kit as the answer.
  11. gnurob

gnurob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't understand how this is not a massive recall and redesign.
  12. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most owners don't bend them. I suppose it must fall within their expected warranty failure rate.

I ended up doing away with the Indy kit and going to the alloy brace job. Rally Moto or whatever it's called.

Then I employed the Schrodinger cat theory. It is both bent and straight until I take the seat off and find that it is, in fact, bent.

Then I will shrug, and utter my favourite expression "it is what it is".

Such is life.
  13. gspirate

gspirate Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Has anybody else with a 2013 confirmed/ posted any pictures of their upper mount? Im looking at purchasing 2013 model and would like to know if the using the Best Rest brace is the best option.

Thanks
  14. DanyalDenyo

DanyalDenyo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am going to change my shock spring with a HyperPro spring so I'll have to fiddle with the famous upper shock bolt. I understand the torque value of the bolt is critical. Since I'm living in Turkey in a small town that's a problem for me because I can't find a torque wrench that's calibrated. (I don't want to buy one unless I really have to). There are decent torque wrenches I can borrow but none of them are calibrated.

I'm thinking if there's any room for over-torquing the upper bolt just to be on the safe side without damaging where the bolt goes in and if so how much is it?

I hope the knowledgeable folks in the forum will answer and better yet advise how much % more should I torque it.
  15. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    It is a fairly big, long bolt going into steel. If you are a little over it won't strip. Intentionally over tightening won't stop the bolt from bending.
  16. DanyalDenyo

DanyalDenyo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How much % do you mean by a little?

I am aware the bolt will still be vulnerable I just don't want it to be weaker than stock in case the torque wrench I am using is not accurate.
  17. Sohere

Sohere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Installed my new hyperpro rear shock today and discovered this ...

[​IMG]

Had the indy kit installed with a hydraulic press, though it seems the bearing got out.

Shock bolt seems to be fine ... :evil
  18. Indy Unlimited

Oddometer:
    You need the stock rubber spacer (without steel sleeve) to keep the bearing from walking off.
    some people cut spacers out of pvc pipe to locate aftermarket shocks ends from walking as well.
  19. Fré

Fré Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried to find in this post, but aint sure about it: can someone tell me exactly what is inside the stock shock? I know there is a needle bearing pressed into the upper rod eye, but the sleeve that holds the bolt, is it a straight piece part? Can someone give me the dimensions of it? I am trying to look for another option to strengthen the shock mount design. Thank you in advance!
  20. Sohere

Sohere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    K thanks. Is there any way to use the kit, made for the oem bmw shock, on a hyperpro rear shock?