The Trans-Lab is Overdone. We want to Ride the Rock.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Canuman, Oct 7, 2012.

1. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rear tire is balanced! It took 70g. With the tube empty I shifted the tire around on the rim to find the most balanced arrangement. I then moved the weights around using masking tape and had it perfect...until I reinflated. Then I had to start all over because it was AFU... again!

Tubes:
    I carry a 17" and 21" for spares.
    I bought an ultra heavy duty for the front. It weighs a ton and will be returned.

What's left:
    Mounting the spare gas tank.
    Mounting dry boxes.
    Sorting out tools.
    Test ride of new carb needle.
    Gas mileage check with new needle.
    Pack bike.
    Pack car.
    Not forget passport.
  2. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
  3. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    might want to avoid camping in Gros Morne....
    campsite was $25.00 was ok with that...
    then a $9.30 park use fee for both of us for a total of $43.60 and we could use the
    park the next day with fee paid...:norton
  4. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
    But Gros Morne is spectacular!

Sent via aldis lamp on Tapatalk
  5. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    especially when approached on the Hughes Brook Rd...snow still on back side of the Tableland...
    The park ranger did say the fee would be good if we were to take the Western Brook Pond boat ride. So evidently you have to pay the fee to "use the park" when taking the boat tour.
    Was not time for everything....

We also heard of a "disappearing river" in Rodderickton...but heard too late. Sounded very interesting.
    1 or 2 rivers have worn away the limestone rock so the river disappears into the rock and at one point you can see salmon waiting to swim up the underground river and continue up the river as it reappears. Saw no advertising for it but were told by several people about the place. Never saw it mentioned on RidetheRock.com either...
  6. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Canuman

Oddometer:
    iI'm going to wear a cheerleader outfit and put my hair in pigtails. Maybe that will help?

8. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Littleliomonsters R/R (Corporate Downsized -Screw it....I'm Doing the Trans Lab.) shows pics of it on post 23.
    Truth be known I was unaware of it myself. The chances of seeing salmon this late is slim though.
    And the Lomond Sinkhole is close to the Hughes Brook road.
  9. jackpiner57

jackpiner57 Moto-Racks.com Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It will if Anton gets it on video.:D

Here's another resource for hostels: http://www.hihostels.com/dba/country-CA.en.htm?himap=Y#book

The Bonavista hostel looks real reasonable and the scenery is fantastic.
  10. AtlasExp

AtlasExp beer me

Oddometer:
    I need to remember to take my Passport!
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  11. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    t-minus three days...

I've got about a 20:1 wrenching vs riding ratio going on my, still new to me, DR.

Today, with only two minor things left on my list, I took her for a 100 mile ride.

The findings:

The non-USA needle from Motolab worked great with the clip in the middle position. On the first turn out of neighborhood I juiced it just a little and felt the back end coming around. It makes enough power now at 1/4 throttle opening so I'm rarely going past half throttle. My speed today was about 40 to 60mph so admittedly good for gas mileage. It got 50.7. My take on the needle is that it gives more power at more comfortable rpms and with zero surging.

The Seat Concepts seat was a HUGE improvement. I suspect I can triple the miles ridden vs stock. I bought the cover and foam and took it to a car upholstery shop for stapling. He charged me $50 which was high especially when S. C. will do it for $20 plus one way shipping. I just didn't want to have my seat in transit when there's a trip coming up soon. While I haven't tried any other replacement seats, I can tell you this one is quite nice for the money.

I didn't crash (well, almost did) so I was unable to test my case guards or "bark busters".

The Kolpin 1.5 gas can on back didn't leak but it may not have been a fair test since it was empty.

My NSU screws stayed in place (or at least didn't grenade the engine), the primary nut stayed on and my third gear did not blow up.

The non vacuum fuel tap worked fine but, as I type this, I just remembered that I left it set to "on".

Tomorrow I'll strap on a couple of small dry boxes to the rack, sort out my tools and spares, pack up the kitchen sink and be ready to roll.
  12. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I've got coffee and a Leatherman. Good to go.
  13. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which one are you bringing? :wink:
  14. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys have a fantastic trip. The scenery is gorgeous! :clap
  15. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Loaded. Although the Dizzer looks like a a camel, I suspect I've got about 30 pounds of gear on. Right rear is stuffed with freeze-dries and tea and coffee. The entire sleeping system is stuffed into the blue dry bag on the back, which has been everywhere, Man. I bought that bag in around '86 of the last century, and it's still going after four continents and a whole lotta miles.

Much of the packing job is volume with little weight. I took a lot of fleece gear, as the nights are becoming chilly. We're gonna have a time, I tell you.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Look for the Wolfman Label.
  16. Canuman

Oddometer:
    It's not that big. However, if you talk dirty, it gets much larger.

17. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    How big is that Leatherman? :eek1
  18. Canuman

Oddometer:
    This just in. Inmate Barbsironbutt just pulled into Ontario's Pinery Provincial Park. She was met at the gate by a group of Ontario motorcyclists, who insisted that she accompany them (The Canucks are a family group, including three or more generations on family holiday, so she's in absolutely no danger.) One gal evacuated her tent so Barb didn't have to pitch hers, and can get an early start in the morning.

This sort of courtesy is common in Canada, and it's why I rarely ride south.
  19. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    They are 'grooming' her now. :wink:
  20. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Yeah. When she gets back to the States, she'll be a member of an Ontario curling team and have to truck long miles on the 401 to participate. Sinister plot, that. She will have to buy dirty tar sands oil to do it, and the whole game will go down the pan when we get eaten by polar bears. I knew there was something wrong in the picture.