F800GS Touratech 20lt fueltank - Who's got one???

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Wildman, Jan 30, 2009.

1. jetjackson

jetjackson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess the gripe with the price on the tank is that it cant accurately reflect the cost of producing the tank and there are no other options to increase tank size on the front of the bike if you ride an F650GS or an F800GS. Nobody likes it when a company takes advantage of a monopoly situation but you can't exactly blame them either - they did take the initiative to make a larger tank when nobody else will.
  2. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, 2K and I would pay that to get 40 litres on my Tenere.

Same deal on the KTM 990 and worth every penny
  3. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam

[​IMG]
  4. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. dendrophobe

dendrophobe Motorbike Junky

Oddometer:
    Finn, I can't decide if your handlebar is growing tumors, or if your bike was cross-bred with a lime tree... What's going on there?

But as always, it's a beauty!
  6. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I am not mistaken... Finn please correct me.... But I BELIEVE that is the duck charm that kept Finn alive when is fender broke and snagged....? :lol3
  7. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    :stupid

This little bastard?

[​IMG]

He's seen it all..... learned long ago to keep his little yellow mouth shut, just hang on and enjoy the ride! :lol3
    Didn't even help me push after I ran out of gas once, as why I bought the TT tank.... ungrateful bastard for all the places I've shown him.
  8. OZZY-DUCK

OZZY-DUCK Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am looking at pulling the Trigger on the TT Tank.
    I currently have the Adventure tank mounted on the rear of my bike and plumbed into the vent line.
    The only problem I have encountered is that when packing for a long trip it really screws up your packing room oh yeah and it doesn't hold enough fuel.

My Question re the TT Tank is can it be successfully plumbed into the vent line of the main tank. I seem to recall reading on here someone was going to try and see how it went. Cant seem to find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
  9. Ratchdaddy

Ratchdaddy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No way on the 200 mile range if you are riding I-10 in Texas with the 85mph speed limit riding eastward against the wind and loaded up for a 2 week trip. I was happy to get mpg in the high 30's.
  10. Bill the Duck

Bill the Duck Unwitting Accomplice Supporter

Oddometer:
    The TT instructions actually have you connect the vents via a really long length of fuel hose. Goes from the main tank vent, around the back end of the bike under the seat, forward to the cockpit, then up and over the gauges and back toward the charcoal canister. Works for me, and I leave the petcocks open all the time. I generally plan on 320 miles between fill-ups, more heading home from the Colorado Plateau, less heading east through TX into the wind. (True story. :D )

Note: The local dealer installed the tank for me and dicked up the vent lines. I had gas fumes in the garage for months until I decided to replumb it myself, making sure the check valve was put in properly. They had used a non-standard vent hose routing, and it had even gotten eaten by the chain a bit.
  11. OZZY-DUCK

OZZY-DUCK Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So are you saying you don't tap into the existing tank you only hook the main fuel line from the TT tank to the original
    tank vent line? Then just vent the TT tank over the handlebars ! Is this correct? Cheers
  12. Sohere

Sohere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Grandru did the same with his TT tank and it works great! Best solution imo, no drilling in the original tank and you can leave the petcocks open all the time.

I've tried the same with my tt tank but apparently my original tanks doesn't get vaccuum anymore.
    Valve of the original tank vent line was stuck, so the tank got air from somewhere else ... I checked and it's not the fuel cap, so it should be the fuel pump?
  13. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your correct, there is no vent in the cap. To troubleshoot, you have to remove the stock plastic around the tank filler. First remove the seat to gain access. Then the line that goes back under there, has the little check valve with the arrow on it. That goes all the way to the Carbon Canister, and then subsequently to the intake manifold. How have you determine that that that vent is not working any more..???? It is very important that it does, as the tank needs to vent either way, specially as fuel is burned. If in doubt, just remove the little valve. It is superficial.
  14. Sohere

Sohere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I checked and the valve didn't work anymore so I removed it.

If the original tank couldn't get air, because the valve wasn't working anymore, it had to get air from somewhere else.
    Can't be the fuel cap cause I swapped this with the one on my brothers f800gs and tank wouldn't get vacuum.
    Any ideas where the tank could have :eek1sucked:eek1 air?
  15. Casejeep

Casejeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    im pretty sure the main tank has 2 vents....
  16. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    It Can't. That is the only way, unless you have a hole in the tank :D. How did you determine that it did not vent. Easy flow towards the tank with the arrow, and need 2-5 psi against the arrow. That is the only way into the tank.
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where have you seen the second vent...???
  18. Casejeep

Casejeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While reading the directions for the 1.5gal Adventures fuel tank, you hook up on vent line to the tank and you plug up the other one. I have not personally see it myself, its just what i have heard.... but ill be installing the TT tank this month so ill be in the same boat soon enough.
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    They must be talking of the same line. Like plumming in the adv. tank in a break in the stock vent system. Like this....
    Instead of the stock vent going into the stock tank..... The stock vent now goes into the adv. tank ....topside.... then bottom of the adv. tank vents into the stock. That way the stock tank vents through the adv. tank, and in to the stock vent system. Simple setup. You are essentially hacking the stock vent line.....Then inserting the adv. tank in said vent line. There are still only one vent. I am curious though...... If you had that vent blocked.... I am most certain that you would have a giant whoooooosh.....and possible fuel starvation issues, as the tank has to vent somehow.....
  20. Bill the Duck

Bill the Duck Unwitting Accomplice Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope, sorry. The supply-side is as per TT instructions with the two holes in the standard tank. I was just describing the vent lines.

Carry on.