Dualsport Fairing w PnP LED Lighting

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by sanjoh, Feb 20, 2012.

1. kbuckey

kbuckey Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I said "screw it" and just ordered one with the megalight setup and LED controller. With the discount it's like getting the controller for free!

I think my wife is gonna kick me in the butt, but the pain will only last a while..... Besides, I haven't bought anything toooooo expensive for the DR in a while, and I think it deserves a little something for going over 50,000 miles (over 56,000 right now, actually).

By the way this is going to replace my current setup which is an LED bulb in the regular headlight shell and a Parrabellum windshield (which I take off in the summer except for long trips). It'll be interesting to see the difference.
  2. Rider11x

Rider11x Resident Hillbilly

Oddometer:
    Is that sticker from Suzuki???? If so, you wonder how many they made with the typo on it. "completely":rofl:lol3
  3. FL Pepper

FL Pepper OMGWTFFTW

Oddometer:
    This week I installed the ADVmonster dual sport fairing on a Yamaha XT225.

[​IMG]

First step was to decide which lights to put in the fairing. Any combination of Model 30 spots, Model 44 floods or Model 60 floods
    can be ordered in the fairing for low and high beam lights. I wanted the maximum light output that the bike’s stator could handle.
    The stock headlamp is a 55 watt light and 2 Model 60 LED flood lights use about 60 watts at maximum output, so I went with 2
    of them in the fairing. That gives me a total light output of 7200 lumens and just cost me 5 extra watts of power.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Next, I chose the color of the fairing. The fairing is made of fiberglass with stainless steel mounting brackets
    and comes in white or black.
    The black fairing will look good with the black, silver and gray colors that are already on the bike.

<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p>I used the ADVmonster rotary dimmer for this install, because it is small, can be mounted either on the fairing or elsewhere on the bike,</o:p>
    <o:p>and I can set the brilliance of the low beam light and leave it at that setting. The dual sport fairing can be ordered with either</o:p>
    <o:p>the rotary dimmer or the wireless remote dimmer.</o:p>
    <o:p>
    [​IMG]

Now for the removal of the stock headlamp. The stock fairing is removed with one screw under the plastic, then pulls straight off.
    <o:p></o:p><o:p>Then I removed the lower bolts holding on the stock headlamp with a 5mm allen key and the large bolt at the top and the headlamp is free.</o:p>
    [​IMG]

I unplugged the stock headlamp connector and set the stock headlamp aside.
    While I had the headlamp off, I wired up an ADVmonster waterproof digital voltmeter to the headlight wiring.
    Here it is temporarily mounted on the bike&#8217;s instrument cluster.
    <o:p>I used a couple of posi-tap connectors to quickly and easily wire the black lead from the meter to the ground wire</o:p>
    <o:p>of the headlamp circuit and connected the power and signal wires together and tapped the low beam wire for power and signal.</o:p>
    [​IMG]

Next, it is time to mount the new dual sport fairing to my bike. The dual sport fairing connects to the stock headlamp plug
    with 3 spade connectors, black to ground, red to low beam and violet to high beam.
    <o:p>I decided that I wanted to mount the fairing with the bottom of it just above the front fender and the angle swept back a little.</o:p>
    <o:p>On many bikes the fairing can be mounted securely using any combination of the mounting holes that are provided on the fairing mounting brackets.</o:p>
    <o:p>I test fitted the fairing to the stock headlamp bracket and marked the spots that I would need to drill holes in the stock headlamp bracket.</o:p>
    [​IMG]

After drilling one hole on each side, I mounted the fairing, checked the angle of it, and marked a second hole on each side.
    In my install, I ended up using 2 holes next to each other on the bracket, but the holes used will vary depending on the bike
    and the size and shape of the stock headlamp bracket. Some bikes may require spacers to offset any distance between
    your desired mounting point and the fairing brackets.

The dual sport fairing fit perfectly on the Yamaha without any additional hardware other than the stainless steel bolts
    that I used to mount the fairing to the stock headlamp bracket.
    <o:p></o:p><o:p>Just like Dr. House, I have a gallery watching me work as I perform surgery on the bike.</o:p>
    [​IMG]

That&#8217;s it, the new fairing is installed and working.
    <o:p></o:p><o:p>Next step is to set the light level at which I want to run the low beam light. I would like it as bright as possible</o:p>
    <o:p>without other vehicles flashing their lights at me. Time for a ride&#8230;</o:p>
    <o:p><o:p></o:p>
    Here&#8217;s some before and after comparison photos:
    Stock headlight during the day.
    [​IMG]

Dual sport fairing on low beam during the day.

[​IMG]

With the high beam switch on, both LED lights are at full power.
    <o:p></o:p><o:p>Night shots:</o:p>
    <o:p><o:p></o:p>
    Stock headlamp on low beam
    [​IMG]

Fairing low beam light at about the same light level as stock

[​IMG]

Full power to the weapons &#8211; high beams on
    <o:p></o:p><o:p>Rode the bike down our less than well manicured dirt roads and the fairing did not exhibit any vibration or bouncing.</o:p>
    <o:p>The height of the fairing provides great wind protection without being too tall, and I did not feel any buffeting of my helmet.</o:p>
    <o:p>I noticed the sound level was much quieter behind the fairing with my dirt gear on. </o:p>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

View from the cockpit
    <o:p>It looks great on the little XT and the brighter light output makes it much more visible as well as providing me with more light.</o:p>
    <o:p>I am very happy with the results.</o:p>
    [​IMG]
    .<o:p></o:p>
    </o:p></o:p></o:p></o:p></o:p></o:p></o:p></o:p></o:p>
  4. kbuckey

Oddometer:
    OK, the fairing came late Friday. Put it on the DR650 Saturday. I used the headlight mounting holes. Well, I tried. The fairing had the headlights pointed at the front fender so I moved it back to where it seems it should be with some spacers. Note, however, that the headlight mounting points are rubber mounted and it seemed to have a LOT of play. Rode it that way anyway and way too much play. Sooooo, I put another set of braces on (mounted to the DR's side headlight shroud mounting points and the top holes on the brace). Nice and sturdy.

The lights. Well, I just wondered how this was going to work. Turned them on - WOW that's bright! Low beam, nothing. Oh, yeah, the fob. Turned that on and - oops, got low beam on top. Reversed the wiring, now good. Pretty bright, probably still need to lower the low beam some more - both in aim and in brightness.

Riding behind it is great. Clear air at the helmet, no buffetting. Takes all the air off the chest. Not in the way at all. Think Ilm going to like it.
  5. harcus

harcus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you are 'going to like it"! The rubber "springs" should be compressed at all times. Tighten as required to tilt the LED in the direction needed. Consider it a "fine " adjustment where the fairing tilt is the "coarse" adjustment.

Post a pic. we wanna see it! :D
  6. kbuckey

Oddometer:
    So you want to see a picture of the lipstick on the pig, eh? See if I can come up with a decent one.

The more I ride it the better I like it. The wake turbulence from a semi doesn't seem to bother it as much as either stock or with Parabellum.

Even in windy conditions really get no turbulence - clean air at the helmet.

Gonna have to stay up late one night and get the lights dialed in.
  7. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk

8. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Who has installed one on a WR250R :ear
    Let's see some pics...make me pull the trigger...
  9. kbuckey

Oddometer:
  10. kbuckey

Oddometer:
  11. kbuckey

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I'll get the hang of this photo stuff one day
  12. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    That day is today!

Nice install. How long did it take?
  13. kbuckey

Oddometer:
    Well, about two hours of fiddling the first time - including taking off the old headlight, shroud, HID light and wiring. Dumb stuff like I had the headlights wired with the low beam on top and had to change that. Trying to get the right angle on the fairing. Then after I rode it I realized the rubber mounted headlight mounts were not giving it enough support and I was getting a lot of movement, so another 20 minutes adding a set of braces to the original shroud side mounts. Nothing at all hard.

I was worried about the LED wiring and dimmer but that turned out to be an absolute no brainer.

Rode it about 80 miles yesterday and am liking it better with each ride. Big test next month on trip to Ohio.
  14. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took the metal bushing/insert out of the oem rubber mounts on the DRZ and it tightened things up significantly.

Have a great trip!
  15. kbuckey

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Looking forward to another great Thumper Cafe and a trip to the AMA Museum - just hope the weather isn't 100 plus!
  16. Aarono2

Aarono2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got mine on. So far I'm happy. The model 60 light is bright! I have second one on the way!
    I think I may end up adding another brace to hold the fairing on, it does vibrate a bit now. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. kaosrider

kaosrider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got my DRZ looking better. Everything worked liked the 650 directions above :clap

[​IMG]

I spray painted the back to make it look a little nicer :D

[​IMG]

Looks like one of them ther expensive bikes now :evil

[​IMG]

I am really liking this set up. Thanks for getting fancy fairing designed and built. :clap
  18. Rider11x

Oddometer:
    Wow! Who makes that bar clamp? Once I get this fairing, I can get rid of my windscreen supports, and go with fat bars too.
  19. Rider11x

Oddometer:
    My bike sees alot of rain, riding and sitting in it. How weather resistant is the electronics/ lights? As good as stock? Better?
  20. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Better than stock, light housing is aluminum with oring sealed openings. Dimmers are waterproof as well, have em on my farm equipment which is sitting outside, no problems. The electronics are covered by a one year warranty.

Thanks,

John
    ADVmonster