Are Pirates and GSX Warriers the Same?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Pruhusky, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Pruhusky

Pruhusky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm old. Well, not really old. Anyway 30 years of riding must count in the worthiness of observation department. My point is I think that both of the crowds have more in common than they think. This dawned on me as I pulled into a gas station / rest area last weekend. Two groups had set-up prior to my arrival. There were the pirates, decked out in their most protective black T shirts and vests, and an equally adorned cluster of rocket boys in T shirts and full face helmets. Where did I park you ask? Off to the side, away from all of them. I went in the store, picked up a sandwich and found a picnic table right between the two camps. There I sat and listened to the banter. Neither group would even look at the other. It was classic. The Ninja / GSXR boys and girls revved up their bikes, with each guy taking turns hitting the rev limiter, before tearing out of the parking lot. The HD boys followed with a healthy dose of revving, before they too, disappeared. Don't get me wrong, I like almost all bikes. And you simply can't beat a 600cc Jap bike for performance on the dollar. And who can forget the RZ350? But, doesn't it get old? I'm talking about the pirates that won't return the wave when you're the only two bikes for miles around, simply because it's not American. Hey, I'd still stop and help him fix his busted bike with my extensive onboard tool kit, that takes up half a hard case--That is, if I had any non-metric tools. The day ended the only way it could have. I'm stuck in a line of cars, after ripping through a turn that the Harley guy behind me was out of his league on. I guess he didn't like that I pulled out 200' on him, because he had to tell me that he "caught" me by throttling his steed again and again. Apparently, the physics of air cooling was lost on him; as it was 94 according to the dash on my GSA. Finally, the line moved and I made a turn. He was hot on my heels, so I backed off even more. It wasn't track day, and who needs a ticket? I should have asked him to race me to 100K miles. I know all riders do not fit into these groups, but why do we always meet them? Funny, if it's crappy out and there's a bike coming at me, 5/10 it's a BMW or KTM. That's a lot considering the numbers of HDs and Jap bikes. Those clam shells just don't cut it in the wet. Maybe they can double up on the bandanas. Time for a drink.
  2. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Needs more twatwaffled cockholster..

That is all..
  3. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps it's regional. Where I I've most everyone is pretty cool regardless of their ride. :freaky
  4. F.P.

F.P. Clown who is sick

Oddometer:
    My "wave back" observation around the SF Bay Area:
    The SOA wannabees never wave back, they might be too scared to take a hand off the ape hangers, I dunno.
    The squids always wave back
    The HOG types generally wave back
    CHP don't usually wave, but some do.
    I don't wave at those goofy Can-Am things, so I have no data on that. Those fuckers scare me, just like recumbent cyclists. Sumtins wrong inside those folks.

When I am out on a ride away from the Bay Area I find that everyone waves. And everyone is cool at rest stops, gas, food stops.
    But really who gives a fuck? I would stop, and I have, when I see a bike in need of assistance. Make don't matter.
    Ride till you can't.
    FP
  5. Pruhusky

Pruhusky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't figure those Can Ams out either. Although I did receive a frantic "what are you doing?" wave while standing headed up a dirt road. Still can't figure that one out.
  6. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah the Can Ams are crazy expensive also. 30k for the top of the line model and it doesn't have an intercom and only 900c (or maybe it's 800cc).
  7. Steve in Golden

Steve in Golden Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm not a very friendly motorcyclist; I wave back if waved to but many times I don't initiate a wave (too busy trying to stay alive amongst the hordes of accursed brain-dead cagers, each of whom is intent on killing me). Also I don't want to risk waving and not have it returned - then I feel like a dumbass for waving in the first place.

Many HD guys wave but of course, some of them are too good to wave to anyone who is not on big American iron.

So what about scooter people, do you guys wave at them? IMO they don't count as motorcyclists, so don't deserve a wave. Hard to take them seriously in their shorts and sandals.
  8. DSTEVENS

DSTEVENS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wave at everyone, regardless of a return or not, I always tick off the Not Gonna Wave Hog pilots by letting my wife ride her hog in front of my GSA when we are traveling around, the Hogs all start waving at her then realize I am right behind and they actually are still waving when I pass:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl. D.
  9. SJSharkfan

SJSharkfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the difference is between "motorcyclists" and "bike owners".

"Motorcyclists" ride their bikes often (or exclusively) and generally are cool , helpful people. Brands don't matter.

"Bike owners" ride on rare occasions and don't care about anybody outside their little group.
  10. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    I think it's the ass-less chaps that do it.... :1drink
  11. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    Yes. Pirates and Squids are the same. Guess what? Us power ranger beemer scum are also the same. You are on a forum, talking shit about those two groups. They are also on their forums talking shit about other groups. I know, I've visited them. On sportbike forums they talk shit about Harleys and KLRs, on Harley forums they talk shit about Sport Bikes and KLRs. Nobody gives a fuck about BMWs.

As far as being a hooligan? Revving your engine and being obnoxious? I think just about anytime you get any group of bikes together, you get the same thing. You can be sure that a group of adventure riders might have someone pop a wheelie, or make some noise in the group. From young and old riders a like.

Yes. There are Harley pirates that deserve scorn. Yes. There are squidwards that need an asschewing. This topic has be discussed ad nauseum in Perfect Line, Jo Momma, and everywhere else.

The wave? There are people on this forum that would rather spit on you than give you the wave. I actually don't do it much any more. Not because I'm unfriendly, but because I ride EVERY-SINGLE-DAY. Do you know how many bikes I've waved at? I dont. I normally don't initiate any longer, I just sort of nod at them when they wave at me.
  12. Wdwrkr

Wdwrkr Long timer

Oddometer:
    at the end of the day noone is putting a bar and shield, or a roundel on their tombstone (though i'd bet it has been done). I ride Beemers because they seem to offer me the things I like in bikes more so then other brands. That may change.. it may not.. I prefer to go my way minding my own business, and let others do the same. I do think it's true that every group can be stereotyped, but whats the point in it. I bet those pirates have wifes, kids, and dogs they look forward to going home to just as I do, so by my logic we aren't so different.. Imagine how fuck upped things would get if people driving fords, wouldn't wave at people in a dodge.. It's a consumer thing imho think I'll just continue to ride mine, and let them ride theirs....
  13. VolInGA

VolInGA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't tell you the number of times I've parked next to guys riding other bikes and one of the first questions (as I'm taking off my full face helmet, earplugs, gloves, jacket, riding pants) is "why do you BMW guys wear so much crap?". Give the standard response about how I might be sweaty, but its more comfortable than a skin graft. Then we stand there and talk bikes, favorite rides, etc. Granted, some of the HD guys favorites rides started with "we trailered the bikes to Daytona", but we all love bikes in the end. I'll continue to wave at all of them........never know when you will find yourself on the side of the road in need of a trailer..........
  14. Surfcat

Surfcat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most folks I see wave. It's cool to wave to HD guys/gals and have them wave back. More times than not, they initiate the wave. If a motorcyclist doesn't wave, I don't hold it against them... they probably are focused on a perceived danger (about everything here at every moment). I know there are times I'm so fixated on some moron, that I don't see on-coming bikes.
  15. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    My observations on motorcycle diversity:

"Bikers" (not necessarily limited to purchasers of American motorcycles):
    We rode to Bob's for lunch. Great BBQ!

"Motorcyclists" (not necessarily limited to purchasers of Euro and/or Asian brands):
    We rode Skyline Road to Blah Blah Road to Whatchamacallit road to Whosis Road. Oh, yeah, we stopped for lunch!

My observations on motorcycle homogeneity:

"Bikers": $2000 worth of dead cow hanging off the body, but ass hanging out and wearing a plastic yarmulke

"Squids" :$800 helmet, usually in the latest "race replica" paint, wearing a wife-beater, board shorts and flip-flops.

Feel free to criticize and/or judge this post. :D After all, we all judge each other in some way, shape or form. :deal
  16. tokyoklahoma

tokyoklahoma 75%has been 25%wanabe

Oddometer:
    Good twatwaffle rant for a newb.....good but not great. :evil
    You should fit in well on ADV. I'm amused that the irony was lost on most. :rofl

So......what kind of oil do you use, and how often do you change it? :wink:
  17. mikestevens

mikestevens Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wtf is a warrier?
  18. mjfields_228

mjfields_228 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wave to everyone. Even the small 50cc scooters.

And, regardless of which one of my bikes that I am riding at any given time, when I come up on anything with 3 wheels that is doing 20mph below the speed limit I think about doing really bad "Warrior-Pirate" things to them if they don't pull to the side.
  19. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    And bike owners dont know that they are only bike owners.....judging by some threads around.
  20. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    Well all shit now....I thought I was a motorcyclist, I ride 40,000 miles per year on multiple motorcycles I own, but by admission I'm also a bike owner. Sixteen currently. Depending on what bike I'm riding will dictate if I'm cool or not..to other riders, and sometimes I don't care about anybody outside my little group. I'm all screwed up now. Next thing you know and I'll be parking my bike in front of a shrinks office. I did stop the other day to offer help and tools to a knee dragger in Austria that just tossed his chain. I'm not sure why I was carrying a master link on a GSA, but that's probably better left for the shrink....

www.maxdumaz.com