Anyone else ride the original Nevada Rally?

Discussion in 'Racing' started by BigBearJoe, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for Peterhansel and Orioli's bikes photos, from the 1995 editions... many thanks for any info:norton
  2. TheDualDog

TheDualDog Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome thread revival. I have been poring over some old map books and i saw this advert. i was about to start a thread asking about the history of this event when i found this thread. Google doesn't give much but it does show notifications from BLM regarding temporary closure of public trails for the race days. Must have been a blast!

[​IMG]
  4. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
  5. TheDualDog

TheDualDog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't be caught dead in those jumper suits, Michael! Lol. That was the French and Italian thing to do!

Acerbis America was run by Franco's right-hand-man, Bill Berroth (Motonation) who did much of the race marketing along with Casey Folks.

The way the race was handled in many BLM and Forest locations was by helicopter and a PA system telling visitors that a race was in progress and not to move.

And BigBearJoe's comment about sparkling water is correct. I was dying of heat stroke in my last 30 miles of the race and a doctor's helicopter was landing to give riders the bubbly water from exhaustion. I just about spit it out but damn I was dying of thirst in that 120 degree Mesquite, NV heat! lol
  6. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
  7. Paul Clipper

Paul Clipper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damon just let me know this event has gotten some discussion going on ADVrider, great! I rode it in 1995, after working the event the previous two years. It was so much fun in so many ways, and the experience left me with a deep appreciation for the state of Nevada that won't go away. It really is a beautiful place, if you don't mind the lack of green! Riding the Rally was an eye-opener. I should have had a dual sport bike with a soft suspension for my ride, but instead rode a stock KTM that was damn near rigid. At the slow speeds I was traveling the bike pretty much beat me to death! But it was a helluva experience. Of course, I owned Trail Rider at the time and covered it for the magazine. Recently I pulled the Trail Rider stores, added some more thoughts to them, gathered a bunch of pictures and published a Kindle book that's now on Amazon, if anyone's interested. Hopefully I won't get flamed off the site for gratuitous self-promotion (I won't post a link, just do a search), but it was a fun project and I think a lot of folks will enjoy it.
    If they ran the Nevada Rally again, I'd for sure be there in one capacity or another. I don't think I'd ride it, though. Once was enough. I was slow and ill-prepared then, and now I can proudly add "old" to the mix as well!
  8. TheDualDog

TheDualDog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Paul Clipper wrote a Kindle Book on the subject but was too shy to mention it. Here it is for your reading pleasure:

http://www.amazon.com/Nevada-Rally-...8&qid=1356268471&sr=1-5&keywords=Paul+Clipper

Paul's Bio:

Paul Clipper got his start in magazine writing by taking a trip to California in 1976 just to see what would happen next. He was hired as Assistant Editor at Challenge Publication's Dirt Rider magazine, working under Editor Rik Paul. His auspicious start lasted only two months before Challenge killed the title and left both the editors jobless.
    A small amount of freelance photography and writing, as well as a job in a commercial photo lab, kept Clipper on the West Coast, where he eventually landed a freelance job with Rick "Super Hunky" Sieman, writing copy for a pair of enthusiast car magazines. This association led to a job at Dirt Bike magazine when Sieman was asked to come back and edit the failing title once again (he was the creator of Dirt Bike magazine in 1971).
    Paul Clipper signed on as Managing Editor in late 1978, and within the next six years the pair worked to make Dirt Bike the number one off road motorcycle magazine in the world. A disagreement with the publisher of Dirt Bike in 1985 led Clipper to take a job with KTM America as Advertising Manager, and his West Coast residency ended in favor of a move to Ohio.
    In 1986, Clipper bought New England's Trail Rider Magazine from the second owners of the title, and he began a small publishing company to deliver Trail Rider to its growing list of subscribers every month. Clipper was the publisher of Trail Rider for more than 24 years, writing hundreds of feature stories and columns, and shooting thousands of photos along the way.
    In summer 2010, Clipper sold the Trail Rider title and retired from the off road scene. Permanently? Probably not. In the mean time he stays active riding dual sport bikes and street bikes, and digging through his archives to find more things to publish!
  9. TheDualDog

TheDualDog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There was no Rally in 1996 which was a shame. This video was the 1995. Also a shame is the terrible audio in that video, but worth watching.

And is Peterhansel on the Yamaha? I'll have to dig that up or maybe Paul Clipper has a pic. That was a bike I admired as well and not sold here in the U.S.
  10. stteve

stteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    xr400r likes this.
  11. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I suspected the date was wrong seeing Peterhansel on this bike, it's actually the bike that, evolved, was used by Orioli at the Australian Safari in '96. Thank a loto also to Stteve for the picture. If you find other, would be great:D

It think it would also be nice to collect on this thread other photos, and especially entry list, results of the various editions of Nevada Rallyes. If I find anything useful on Italian magazines of the time, I'll post it here :deal
  12. escuchamente

escuchamente Let's Ride

Oddometer:
  13. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite

I have already done that but not thousands .. only a couple :evil
  14. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    We should hit up Norman!!
    he is the new guy at Score/HDRA!!!
    maybe get Casey also in the game
  15. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    The word is Casey lost his ass on the last multi-day event he put on. Waaaay too many BLM & Nevada Highway Patrol headaches, logistical nightmare. Norman might be talked into it simply because he won't know how much money he'll lose!!!:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3
  16. bigborefan

bigborefan I know a lot, and what I don't know, I lie about.

Oddometer:
  17. BigBearJoe

BigBearJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have results pages from some of the days of the 1995 Nevada Rally but they're buried out in the garage in my memorabilia box. I was pretty "green" when I rode the event in 1995. It was really cool to go back years later after I had really become an enthusiastic rally spectator and see all the famous names that I had been racing with!
  18. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    wow! I send you a PM:evil
  19. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    There was an article in Cycle World at the time. Not sure if I have that issue but when I get home in January I'll look.
  20. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    found this on a French magazine
    [​IMG]

funny that Peterhansel did it on a XTZ660 in '94 and reverted to an "older" 600 in '95
    this was the French XTZ prototype for Nevada '94

[​IMG]