Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Captain115

Captain115 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok so here goes:

Steve, I made sure everything was back together properly, so yep the rollers are in there. I've poured oil into when the scavenge pump pulls it from (backside) and turn it and it pumps out through it's two exits ok.

Basically everything seems to be clear and work when apart, just every now and then it stops when running...

elsalvadorklr, I did use the o-ring but was hoping that maybe Steve didn't....and not using it was some special trick that I should've done. No luck there.

I will replace the: spring, seal and cotters pin and see if that helps. It's the easiest and most likely explanation for whats happening so I'll start there.

Thanks for the help guys, I know this must be difficult to diagnose problems over the new and in a different time zone! I'll let you know when it's all back together and see if that's fixed it!

Cheers,

John
  2. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my engine build thread I pictured the collar with grease as a way to keep it from jumping ship. The O'ring was used as per the Honda manual.

When I do a service on my XR or XRL I put 2 1/2 quarts of oil in it and call it good. I check for flow at the lower banjo. If oil is there then I'm DONE. As you should be. I think your making a mountain out of a mole hill. If it's got oil, RIDE IT!!! The pump does NOT work SOME TIME. It works ALL the time.

I have NEVER used the oil level bolt on the clutch cover to check for oil level or flow. If there is oil in the motor, IT'S IN.

This ain't rocket science.
  3. Tachedoutoffroad

Tachedoutoffroad Mr. Parrish

Oddometer:
  4. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    I agree except for the statement about the pump...its 100 percent clear especially with proof in vids, vanpelts experiments as well as other that the oil system in the xr cycles...yes its always moving the rotors that is...but its absolutely clear that there is a point where the case has a lot of oil, this excess is quickly pumped up...

its also clear the oil in the frame tank drops and fills up as the engine is working...this is 100 percent proven...

so not to nitpick but I think its this lack of understanding that causes people to freak...

I too agree and have never ever checked the case oil check bolt because I read that it always overflows and basically is not a real world way of checking if the oil system is working properly...

anywhoo

back to scheduled programming!:D
  5. dixiedevil

dixiedevil n00b

Oddometer:
    figured I throw this question in this thread rather than start a new topic.

I know xr650r seats fit on the xr600 , however. I am wondering if I can use a CRF450 seat cover on the xr600r/650r seat. I know they are shaped a little different but the seat covers i have gotten for my ktm are always way big and i have to trim them down. I may just geta 650 SDG seat with cover, but I have found some pretty sweet looking crf covers.

any help is appreciated

thanks

dixie
  6. speedmonkey7

speedmonkey7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey dixie, I don't think the 650r seat even fits the 600r. Maybe the cover could be made to work but pretty sure the pan is totally different. As for the CRF cover fitting a 600r seat, I seriously doubt it. The CRF seat is really narrow and very differently shaped. I don't see how there'd be enough material there to ever make it work. Maybe have an upholstery shop build a custom cover for you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2
  7. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Dixie,

Have you had a look through this guy's stuff?
    He is in Thailand, but free shipping:evil

http://stores.ebay.com/Replica-Stor...24873015&_sid=816577755&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
  8. Schrauberklaus

Schrauberklaus ***ifyer

Oddometer:
    everything can be made to fit

See my CRF Gripper Seat Cover with extended Sides (Black) on the XL Seat
    [​IMG]
  9. Wout67

Wout67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    With my fingers crossed, I should be picking up an '88 XR600 on Monday night.

I'm selling my '71 Honda CB this weekend, and heading out to pick up my new beast.

Cant wait!!

:clap
  10. dixiedevil

dixiedevil n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey man be very excited! I actually sold my 73 Cb750 cafe to get a 96 xr600. First time in a long while i been able to pull the front end up on something without feeling like im going to die!

11. dixiedevil

dixiedevil n00b

Oddometer:

What do you mean by extended sides? Im guessing based on the bpicture that you added material.

this is what I am wanting to have:

http://throttlejockey.com/product/x_1ADN93QWawZSMxIY2lkPT/HONDA SEAT COVERS

i may just have to settle for a bland sdg gripper seat cover :(
  12. Wout67

Wout67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

My CB is only a 450, so it couldn't wheele on a dare. :lol3

I don't want to get my hopes up too much. Something can always happen.

I was thinking about a KLR, and it would probably be better for riding on the street, but I've done the KLR thing a few years ago. The thought of the weight and the lack of power steered me to the Big Red Pig.

Although this one seems to have some after market parts on it. It has the Acerbis tank, a red rear fender, a white front and a blue seat. So, it's not really a Big RED Pig. It's more of a Big Patriotic Pig. :lol3

Once it's home, I'll post pics of our "stable". My wife has a KLX250 and an SV650.

My other ride is a Concours14. An XR600 would make things complete.

:wink:
  13. Schrauberklaus

Schrauberklaus ***ifyer

Oddometer:
    Yes the Black one on both sides
  14. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    If anyone still has the original seat cover for an '88 XR6, does it have a rear logo????:ear
  15. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    And thought all you XR600R fans would love this if you have yet to see it. You think he'll have a hard time kick starting his Airplane? :roflLets see pull in decomp lever, choke one....HHHmmmmm.

[​IMG]
  16. MCCOYBOY

MCCOYBOY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Selling my xrs only 41mm carb if anyones interested($175). Specs can be found on the xrs only website. More parts to come. On a different note, anyone have a street legal frame for an xr600 laying around?
  17. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
    Check your pm MCCOYBOY :deal
  18. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    :wave

I finally got a stator for my '88 XR600R. :knary

Less than 90 days after getting the bike! :eek1 :lol3

I bought the RickyStator unit and am trying to install/plug it in today.

The challenge for an electronics-challenged guy like me is that I don't know how to convert/interpret what I see to make the switch from old to new.

[​IMG]

This bike has a battery & all the lights. So I think it should be dual output 100watts each.

That would suggest I use the wiring diagram on the upper left.

What I can't figure out is how to relate the green/white pairs to the original pairs in the 4-plug connector. How do I work that out? I have a digital multimeter that I could use to assist me - if I knew what I was trying to do. :shogs :baldy :lol3

And once I figure that out, do I:

Cut the old connector off and add it to the new wiring harness?

Or

Cut the old connector off the wiring harness and add the four individual connectors to the wiring harness.
  19. nikolic

nikolic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Works in progress...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Hazman27

Hazman27 The Haz

Oddometer:
    Looking for the frame guards, plastic style. Not the metal plate covers. Anybody have some, or where to get some? Thanks.