kenny61 goes racing or another middle aged out of shape guy goes racing thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by kenny61, Feb 13, 2012.

1. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    ok Im in! But I aint drivin to Maine. Next year Hoosick falls:deal
  2. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cyb7AFpb2nM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:lurk
  3. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

Well its going to be next season for me.Time right now is not my friend.Well that and im working on my muffin top.:1drink
    Its a big list,but I been taking care of the big items.
    New MotoVan,:evil[check]New race bike,[check]Ignoring the wifes heckling,[BIG check]:lol3.Eating better[check],working out[check],quit old nasty habbits,,,[check,thats the hard one].
    I came home from cross rutting in Hoosick with Theresisnospoon last week with my L5 thump'n,and Mama says,,"Your to old to be riding like that with your buddy's".:huh
    Yea Baby,,im the youngest,least broken guy I ride with!:freaky

I ride Hoosick all the time,i guess that's my home track.:lol3So im aiming for the 2-3 Mass,and the VT race.
    We'll have to see who else we can con into running some Jdays,i know 4-5 off the top of my head.:deal
    This season,,Moab and a few Turkey runs are all I got in me.:norton
  4. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
    Scott, I know a while back you said you were trying to quit smoking. How's it going? I managed to switch over to the electric cig 3 weeks ago, and have not had tobacco since. Although I'm still trying to ween off of nicotine..
  5. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

My job is the hard part.15 years of hand to mouth evertime Im not doing anything with my hands.Grab a notch,blow the horn,lite a smoke etc.:puke1
    Boss makes fucked up call,,lite a smoke,,feel the urge to push someones face in lite a smoke,etc,etc.
    Patches suck,,and me a Mama are both on them,,so the dogs haven't come out from under the bed in a week.:lol3
    Im doing it,,cut down alot.To be honest I went from pack,pack and a half a day to 10cigs and some chemicals that get sucked in my skin a day.
    When im home I got so much to do,i bearly smoke 5 a day.
    WORK is the hard part for me.although I do see some anger manegment classes coming my way.Being on the road 6 days a week its hard.
    Nate even said something to me at Echo valley the other day,cause he hadn't see me smoke in 2-3 hours.
    I can do 15 miles on the stationary bike a day without puking.:clapBaby steps.
    Im committed,,i told Mama I bought a Sprinter to goto rides with my friends,and I just needed it.Then came home with brand new bike cause Im gona race next season.Then im quiting smoking and so is she.Its either this for my midlife whatever or im getting a boyfriend that doesn't care how I look or how much I smoke.:rofl
    Atleast you work in an office envirment,where the dirty looks from the do gooders give you something to put the hate on and everyone helps you quit.
    My work the old guys call you pussy[not to my face]and offer you a smoke.

You can tell im quiting smoke'n,,even the simplest questions get answered with a page of rant.:deal

Now wheres the Berg???
  6. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/R9T5sgQKDhc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  7. ct-ktm

ct-ktm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember when Nate Kanney raced there a few years back, he started a minute or so later then the rest of the pack..Passed every single rider and took the win...You do not see a lot of air time at that place but you did that day..
  8. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:

Working in an office environment does not necessarily make it easier to quit when you deal with the public all day. :deal

My triggers are the occasional bad customer, and driving on roads with the other fktards. :D Lay on the horn, light a smoke to calm down and distract myself from going crazy. :lol3

You may want to try the "Logic" brand e-cigs (the others I have tried were lame), they help me get past the moments when I really want to light up.

The 'berg; I honestly have done very little with it. I tidied up some of the wiring that looked too vulnerable for my taste (not that it was in a good place by factory design anyways (pretty obvious that adding elec. start was an afterthought), but I did the best I could). I made my own gasket for the slave cylinder. Like you said, worked ok for a while, then I think the homemade gasket started to fail again.

I just have not taken the time to order parts yet. It needs fork seals. I think I'm just going to order a new slave assembly. The (slave) cylinder has a good sized gouge in it, there is a missing spring, and I should probably replace the piston too. My biggest problem is finding the part # for the gasket. The schematics I find have the part numbers for all the metal parts, but none of the gaskets. Just a reference to the "gasket set" or something.

There's a few other small things to address, but once I get around to sorting it, it should make a nice little knockaround woods bike I'm hoping. I'm thinking I would like to get in on some of the easier enduros/ hare scrambles, just for the sake of riding some trails I wouldn't normally have access to, and getting a little more exercise.
  9. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    I hear the upcoming mudslinger enduro is the easiest one all year:deal
  10. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:

With a name like that, it'd have to be. :lol3

Actually, when I saw your video from the Layden enduro, I was wishing I had taken the 250, and went. That looked like a lot of fun.
  11. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    the mudslinger is a toned down hell in the hills. Should still be pretty rough. Leyden is usually one of the smoothest. Definitely the easiest one that I did last year but it does have its rough spots. Just one of em will suck the energy out of you and make you wish you went home and I quit smoking 3-5 years ago
  12. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did it two years ago.

Came home with a sprained ankle, sprained thumb, scratched fork tube, blown fork seal, and a 2nd place trophy. :evil
  13. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want easier, put the Scrub Pine Enduro on your calendar. Not "easy" by any stretch, but a lot of fun trails, and you don't feel like you've had the shit kicked out of you at the end of the day.
  14. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

Get new gasket,ride it till it pops!:dealThen fuck with it.

Esmokes don't work for me,tired it.There again,im on the road.Nowhere to charge it in my 15+hr days.
    Ill do it,,,,,wont be happy bout it,,,but ill do it.You all have known me long enough to know if I want something I find a way to get it.:1drink
  15. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
    I've got a few extra batteries, so I can carry an already charged backup or two if necessary. They are not that expensive, and take up much less room than a pack of smokes. :deal
  16. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:

When is that?

I'd like to at least have the berg ready for the Hammer Run this year though. :evil
  17. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    October 20th, weekend before the Hammer Run, looks like.

Nice warm-up event for Hammer Country. :lol3
  18. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

Mmmm the Hammer Run.:clap

GBG said it last year,,"If I could only make one big ride a year,it'd be the Hammer."

You ever do the Hammer Fran?
  19. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:

I don't think I have the patience to do 2 runs through the heart of NJ in that short of a time frame. :lol3

Not yet, but it seems to be where all the cool kids are at. :lol3
  20. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

Hammer run= The only reason to goto New Jersey.:deal

If I had to use one word to describe the Hammer Run,,,,Creamy.:lol3

Very well put together,once a year chance to ride unridible[by law] fire cuts and trails,Free Beer,good Saturday night scetty dinner,or Red Lobster with a drunk Nate[priceless]door prizes,Bands,ya get to see what your inter net friends look like,free camping,just a good fun turkey run.Great club,with a lot of involved members.