Airhead Handlebars

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Dolly Sod, Apr 18, 2009.

1. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used BSA A10 bars on my old airhead , there are some great bends from the British bikes , the euro Norton Commando bars are nice .
  2. AirheadRick

AirheadRick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I liked the lok of the Rizoma bars and bought a set for my /7. They are labeled as 22mm and they measure as such but the clutch and throttle perches are not going on and I don't want to force them too hard. Prutser just wondering if you had to sand the ends down to mount allow the perches to slide on?
  3. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Don't sand the bars, open up the perch clamps.

The class tool is an HVAC tubing expander, ideally a live one rather than the hammer-in one.
  4. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    No need to sand down before everything fitted. I mounted about 20 of those rizoma bars.
    But I was using the fat bars although it shouldn't make a difference.
    You could try to put the controles on the wrong way to check if its the clamps of your controles that is to tight or its the diam. of the handle bars.
  5. AirheadRick

AirheadRick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They are cast won't they break if you try to expand them?
  6. AirheadRick

AirheadRick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine are not the fat ones, they are the same diameter throughout which is great since they fit the bar backs and clamps I have on the bike now. They measure 22 mm with the caliper so everything should fit. I am just a bit nervous about forcing the controls on. The model I have is MA001.

http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=563
  7. Plaka

Oddometer:
    You don't want to expand them much. How much are you going to sand off a bar?

I just opened up one of my spare clutch side perched with a big screwdriver in the clamp slot. Not much but if the thing is pretty close but just tight, should be enough. There is also a lot of room to clean up the inside of the perch.
  8. AirheadRick

AirheadRick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will give it a try. I am out of town at work until Tuesday. I will try it then and give some feedback. Thanks
  9. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Use the force, Luke.

Remove the pinch bolt altogether and clean the threads, leave it out. Clean the inside of the perch. Use a very large screwdriver in the pinch slot and twist when putting the perch on. Put the pinch bolt in last.
  10. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    I use the same technique that I use to open the lower clamp on the triples when they have been there a while: take a wide-blade standard (flat) screwdrive and use it as a wedge. The trick with aluminum is to work it slowly and let it expand (or whatever it does!)... forcing it rapidly tends to break things, moving it gently and slowly it can be expanded enough to get it on the bars. ....just did it for my 80ST el-cheapo bars!

[​IMG]

:D
  11. AirheadRick

AirheadRick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. In spite of following the recommendations things didn't work out for me I managed to crack the clamp on the perch. It's still together but I don't thing I would trust it that way. I am pretty frustrated it took me a long time and wasn't cheap to get the right handlebar controls to do a handlebar master cylinder conversion on my /7. Guess I should have stayed with the stock bars. Going to see if a welder friend of mine with a tig set up can weld the crack or start my search for a new double pull throttle cable with the master cylinder.
  12. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sucks.. Sorry to hear it.
  13. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you try to slide them over the bars the clamp part last ? just to try if they do fit.
    On those things its best to Not use the force !!!! They are brittle. But thats something you know now :(:
  14. SRanger331

SRanger331 stuff Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just changed my US high bars for the Rizoma MA001's
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]