F800gs...Touring screens? you got one ? Lets us see um!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighTechCoonass, Nov 13, 2008.

1. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you go with the Tall because of the Rally seat? Aeroflow seems to say Medium is OK for up to 5'10".
  2. wordnow

wordnow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aeroflow told me to go with the tall. I am almost 5'11 and have the Touratech low seat. Their customer service was excellent and they had me talk to the main guy there to figure out the size. I definitely would not want a smaller screen.
  3. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    My seat is 2" taller than stock at the low point. Aeroflow recomendations are right on.
  4. Mr noname

Mr noname Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anyone having the givi/kappa screen?
  5. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    Nice F800Goldwing :rofl
  6. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aeroflow should hire you to be their offical product photographer. This is the first picture I've seen that shows any detail :lol3:lol3:lol3
  7. Ride-a-lot

Ride-a-lot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ddog :ddog :ddog O.K. still waiting impatiently for another review on the Aeroflow screen. :cry Before spending the money I would love to hear from more people who have tried the shield. Its getting cold and wet around here so I am getting antsy to get a shield for the winter. I am hoping to only have to buy one shield and be happy with it. So how is it working for you?
  8. wordnow

wordnow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, here is my review of the Aeroflow screen. I've ridden about 200 miles with it so far with a combination of winding roads and a lot of freeway with speeds up to 80mph. I have the Aeroflow tall screen and also added their Aeroflow guards that provide additional protection. I am 5'11 with my boots on and have a Touratech low seat which is 1" lower than the standard one.
    I also have tried the CalSci large and extra-large screens. Where both of these screens did provide protection, I continued to get enough helmet buffeting that it was annoying and I was concerned that I could not put up with it for long trips.

Aeroflow Review:
    1. Customer service before I bought it was superb. The woman who answered the phone was knowledgeable and helpful. She put me through to the guy who I believe is the main designer of the product. They helped me decide that the tall version sounded the best to go with. They have a guarantee that if it does not work you can return it.

2. Installation took about two hours. The instructions were very clear with a lot of diagrams. The installation is much more involved than the CalSci screen that basically uses the existing screen bolts and mounts. The Aeroflow guards took about another hour to install. I installed them after riding with only the Aeroflow screen first.

3. All the Aeroflow components are very solidly built. The mounting system is very secure and the screen does not move at all either by hand or on the road at high speeds.

4. Now for the ride. I get NO helmet buffeting from direct wind. Obviously if there is side wind you are always going to get some. The Aeroflow seems to provide the best of both worlds. There is both protection from head-on wind while at the same time providing a good amount of smooth air in the riding area. The design of the Aeroflow screen puts a smooth airlflow right above the helmet. Even if I stand up some at higher speeds, the airflow hitting the helmet is smooth. This is accomplished through their laminar flow system that brings smooth air into the rider pocket. Overall, I get the protection I want but still get airflow that keeps you cool and you still fell like you are on a motorcycle, not a car. Even with the Aerogaurds that provide additional protection of the wind against your arms and shoulders, there is still plenty of smooth airflow in the rider area.

5. The design of the windscreen allows you to look over the screen with plenty of clearance. With the CalSci screen, to get the protection I was looking for, the screen had to be so high I had to look through the screen. With the Aeroflow, you hardly notice the screen in your eyesight because it is able to be so low but still put the wind over your helmet.

6. The low design of the screen also allows you to use the screen off-road while standing up. I have not done this too much yet, so I can't give a full review off-road Although Aeroflow cautions agains saying this is an advantage of their screen, i find it is. The reason this is important is that taking the Aeroflow screen on and off is a significant task. Where with the CalSci screen I could in minutes replace the screen with the stock screen, this is a much larger task with the Aeroflow screen. This would probably be my main issue with this screen, except I think I will try to always keep it on, even off-road unless I'm doing some long extended off road.

7. In contrast to some other comments on this thread on the looks of the Aeroflow screen, I think it is the best looking screen for this bike I have seen. The silver mounting brackets do stick out some, but I am pleased with the overall look.

7. I'm not attaching pictures because the set that was uploaded in this thread earlier are excellent and my bike is the same color.
  9. Ride-a-lot

Ride-a-lot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the review. :thumb

And if you don't mind I am blaming you to my wife for the money I will be spending. :D
  10. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree 100% with Wordnow's Aeroflow review. I am just glad I did not waste a lot of money trying to find the best screen. Aeroflow is hands down awesome!
    Thanks to everyone for sharing the knowledge and experience with other screens. I do not see the need to take this screen off for off road rocky jeep trails since I can stand and look at the rubber on the front tire without having to look thru the screen. Once again I say this is a fantastic well engineered wind screen.
  11. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Tallguy:
    I was thinking of cutting my screen down as well, just leaving enough to protect the instrument panel from flying debris. Yours looks great! Did you cut an even amount off the top follwing the countour, or did you reshape it slightly as well?
  12. bpken11

bpken11 Back to the Dirt

Oddometer:
    So, I went with the Markymcd mod. and am I glad I did it. I purchased the robobrackets from Madstad and a Metal Mule windscreen. I cut down the OEM screen by about 3" and mounted the brackets to the screen. Then I took 4" off the bottom of the Metal Mule and turned that into the top screen.

Then I went out and tweaked it. And let me tell you it is WONDERFUL. I can move the screen up, down, slant it, get it close to me, further away etc. You can decide how much air you want, how much protection. It gives you so many options it makes your head spin.

For the first time I was totally buffeting free!! :clap :clap :clap I have never been buffet free with any windscreen on any bike I have ever owned!

This was a pretty easy project, If you can handle a skill saw, and a drill you can handle this.

Thanks Markymcd for posting your work. This is a must modification if you want flexibility and a way to rid yourself of that devilish buffeting!! Once on the dirt, you just put it as low as possible and it is totally out of your way.

Price $130 for the RoboBrackets, $135 for the Metal Mule.

I am trying to ref some photos from my photobucket account, let's see if it works. Click on the links and it should take you to the pictures (I hope)

https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/b/bpken11_bentover.jpg
    https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/b/bpken11_bentfront.jpg
    https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/b/bpken11_bracketbehind.jpg
    https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/b/bpken11_bracketside.jpg
  13. vroom2

vroom2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wordnow, tallguy-09, or anyone else who has one, can you please post some outdoor pictures of the Aeroflow screen? All of the pictures posted so far are inside, with artificial flash, and too close up to get a real impression of how large the screen looks on the bike.

Can you post some outdoor pictures, from a bit further away, and also from a few different angles, including a side shot and a rear quarter shot? I'm trying to get an idea of how large it looks relative to the size of the bike as a whole.

One can never have too many pictures.

Thanks!
  14. Roonie

Roonie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the light tint skidmarx windshield from the f800depot.com. I haven't seen it reviewed here yet. I like it and the wind hits me at the top of the helmet now. It will buffet my helmet some. If your shorter it.... you will clear the wind altogether. I am 6' 1" with 32" inseam. I have used it for 2500 miles of highway and mixed riding with no complaints. I like it because it isn't ginormous yet does deflect the wind.

[​IMG]
  15. David_S

David_S Long timer

Oddometer:
    OT
    Hey bpken11 it looks like you have your nuvi suction mount on the tach window, is that working out well for you and does it stay on over pretty heavy bumps? It looks much cleaner there than on the bars like I have mine and I don't need a tach as I'm a short shifter most of the time.

PS for those too lazy to click these are the images bpken11 have of his set up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. bpken11

bpken11 Back to the Dirt

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tall Guy and Dave S. First i have to thank Markymcd for the idea and step by step on the modification. He has this posted someplace in these 47 pages of posts. His modification included the BMW windscreen touring bar ala the 1200gsa. I have found that i do get a little bit of up and down motion when at speed. And yes Tall Guy, I ran that configuration at 80 mph with no problem! But the bar should help a bit, most of the motion comes from the lower screen flexing.

DaveS. that is my nuvi with the suction cup on the tach. It's pretty easy to tell when you are getting close to 8,500 without the tach and I am to cheap to purchase a handlebar setup! I have ridden over 2000 miles with the set up with no problem. I just wet the cup a little and stick it on. If I am going to hit some dirt roads or if I think I will be hitting some of NY's wonderful potholes I will use a wide bungee and make one wrap around the stalk then attach to the bottom of the factory windscreen thus applying a wee bit of pressure against the tach window.

When I stop for a bit, I just take off the GPS but leave the suction cup on. If I am on local trails I take the set up off and throw it in a case or my jacket pocket until I hit the street again. It has worked great for me

Here is a picture with the bungee cord setup (you can kind of see it).

https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/b/bpken11_oldforge1.jpg

Dave S How did you get my other picures to come out so big?? I'm such a newbe!

[​IMG]
  17. wordnow

wordnow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will upload some pictures, hopefully in the next week so you get some outdoor photos.
  18. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your Welcome!!!

By the way it's the 800 touring brace that I used. Unfortunately it's stupidly expensive but makes the whole thing rock solid. the challenge in not installing it first is that your upper mounting points for your Robobracket should drill through and attach through the mount points for the brace.

I've got something else in the works too but am working on building a prototype and can't really disclose until I'm ready to sell it. I'm sure it's a mod that hopefully everyone with a stock shield will want to buy. If there is interest from sites like twistedthrottle etc. I might be in production by spring. And it's also a great addition for this Robobracket mod.

Cheers,
    Mark
  19. F650Dakar_Norway

F650Dakar_Norway What off-season? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll get the Wunderlich Ergo Screen Vario: http://www.wunderlich.de/frame.php?prodid=8110157&groupid=1642

The non-adjustable Ergo Screen High simply was too noisy for my comfort. I had to use earplugs all the time to save my ears as much as possible. Even then a steady bass rumble from turbulence was physically shaking my helmet.
    The newer, adjustable one should do the job for my 186cm frame.
  20. Eurastus

Eurastus Hej på dej!!

Oddometer:
    I have the same experience with the Wunderlich Ergo Screen High. In fact, the turbulence is so great that I have gone back to the standard F800GS OEM screen. I am also curious about the new adjustable Vario screen. It is not available in the US yet, so patience will be needed on my part...