Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
    Well your of course right. Can't the US, Canadians or UK build a nice looking good quality pannier system for our bike under 1000?
  2. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I find the Jesse actually quite nice, though I like the 9" Safaris more than the Odyssey.

Then there are the Happy Trail panniers:

[​IMG]

Though they aren't even close to the quality of the Touratech. The TT are nevertheless build in much larger quantities - the cases should be the same for the Tiger and other bikes, the racks are different. Therefore - being kind of "mass produced" they should be priced better.

With the options that are available at the moment I'd go with Wolfman soft luggage:

[​IMG]

and put an additional Ortlieb or Wolfman duffel across the passenger seat. I just don't like any of the options available enough to spent that much on them. Just thinking about paying more for a set of anodized alu boxes than for the used Suzuki DR200SE we bought last year - no freaking way. And that's coming from someone who rides a crazy expensive bike ...
  3. PaulSF

PaulSF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1. That's what I did. Keeps the weight down.
  4. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree wholeheartedly with the outrageous cost of the Touratech bags. Under most circumstances I would have never even considered buying them. I have had Jesse bags in the past (not cheap either!) and liked them very much in terms of how they fit close to the bike. The only thing I did not like was the looks. I thought the Touratech looked better but I really struggled to pay the price they are asking. The only reason I went ahead with the purchase is that I recently sold a small business and had some cash I could justify letting go. If that had not happened I would have went with the Wolfman Expedition bags in a heartbeat...for thousands less!

I really don't like that the small bags extends so far out either, but I was just not willing to pony up even more money to get the form fitted one. But, there are things about all the bags I don't like...shape, width, etc. According to their respective sites, the Touratech extent 2" wider than the Jesse Odyssey: 39" vs 37".

Shep
  5. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    Bags like bikes are subjective. We have the Jesse system on our Beemers and used them on the Tiger for our recent trip. We love the look and functionality of the Jesse bags. They are not cheap but they are waterproof and top loading and easy on easy off. Totally as for looks up the the rider!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    I emailed him yesterday and he responded. He said that he is getting a Tiger test bike soon and will have some information on product soon. :clap
  7. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
  8. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    Looks good but I'm afraid you made a mistake on the hand guards. They're crap.
    I replaced mine immediately with some Tiger1050 ones I already had. But I'd recommend you get something else, anything but those standard ones. because those :-
    a) don't give any weather protection &
    b) fold as soon as you hit the deck and your levers break. I've seen it happen.:cry

Here's what the 1050 ones look like....
    [​IMG]

Much stiffer in construction and I've found that my hands stay dry in the rain.
  9. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    I completely agree. And you know what else pisses me off about Touratech? Here in the European Union we're suppose to be able to buy stuff from any other country without penalty. i.e. so long as you pay tax either in the country of purchase or in your home country, fine, done. Free trade area...supposed to be. But Touratech refused to send their stuff to me direct from Germany saying that I must pay the extortionate UK prices that the importer puts on the bits.
    We've got a saying here..... "Rip off Britain". We seem to pay over the odds for most stuff including £6/UKgallon for petrol!!
    I almost wrote that I'm glad we're not the only ones getting shafted.......:cry

Oh bugger! I did.:huh

On a different tack, Metal Mule are another quality but pricey option.
  10. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Shep - What size are those Zega Pro panniers ? 31 & 38 L ? They look great! - did you paint them to match the Tiger ? I'm thinking 2, 38 L cases with the Happy Trails rack system. TT certainly does not give their stuff away!! - They have 35 L Zega's for $386 - but are different than the "PRO" model & look kinda cheap. Tried 'Holan' - but they arent currently available due to change in ownership / management. Anyway - nice job - tiger looks 'road ready'. Thanks, j
  11. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    I agree. The Barkbusters are $65 more than the OEM ones but that aluminum spine makes all the difference. And if you get them with the Storm plastics, you get about the same weather protection as with the Tiger 1050 hand guards. The Barkbusters definitely saved my clutch lever and may have saved the bar itself a couple weekends ago.

[​IMG]
  12. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, they are the 31 & 38 L. I did not paint them; they are anodized silver. The last bare aluminum bag I had got residue all over everything I put it in.

Shep
  13. Presto1

Presto1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, I was contacted by my dealer in New Orleans this week and told a new tune download was available for the stalling issues some have been experiencing and my VIN was one. I have about 650 miles on mine with no stalling issues at all. So I made an appointment for this morning and took a ride. The tune went quick and their service guys are top notch. On my way home I covered appoximately 100 miles of 4 lane and twisty back roads. I stopped three time; once for lunch, two for quick pics. On the third stop, I attempted to start the bike and ... It wouldn't start!! It would not start at idle as normal by just pushing the start button. I had to give it gas and keep it rev'd above 2K rpm to keep it going and get home. WTF? I just had a tune downloaded to keep it from stalling and now it won't idle!!! Called the tech to inform him and make a note in my file for further info. After about 15 minutes I went out to try it again, and it started and idled fine?????? Now, I have lost confidence in this wonderful bike and am keeping my fingers crossed. Has anyone else experienced something like this on an XC?
  14. soph9

Oddometer:
    we were told that changing the air filter was also part of the recall not just the download...:dunno
  15. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    I'm curious....if you have had no issues why in heaven's name did you get the new tune :dunno
  16. soph9

Oddometer:
    His bike is young in miles...most likely would suffer after a few 1000 miles more...they are going by VINS and recommending everyone gets the new tune but we still wonder ourselves if this is the magic bullet...as more get the update and post the results we shall see won't we.

As far as the stalling when we had it on the trip there was no rhyme or reason. They would stall and start after sitting or after the initial stall. We could not see a pattern. I sure hope this recall ends the stalling issue but again like I said we will all see...we no longer have the bikes but will still follow just to see.
  17. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    I had the new tune installed in mine today also, it's a recall. I haven't had any stalling issues and have 2500 miles on my roadie with an Arrow. I didn't notice any difference on the 45 mile ride home.
  18. soph9

Oddometer:
    We had issues with the center stand smacking the under carriage but the spring never came off. We just thought is was too weak for the stand

Triumph has recalled 668 Tiger 800 and Tiger 800 XC (2010-2011) motorcycles due to center stand issues.

Triumph says the optional accessory center stand assembly on Triumph Tiger 800 and 800 XC motorcycles built from Sept. 2010 through June 2011 contains a defective return spring that may break. If the spring breaks, the center stand may unexpectedly drop and drag along the road surface, increasing the risk of a crash.

Dealers will replace the return spring and repair the affected motorcycles free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet reported an owner notifications schedule. Owners may contact Triumph Customer Service at 1-678-854-2010.

Triumph's Safety recall is No. 430. Owners may also contact the Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or visit safercar.org.

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 11V436000
  19. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    :baldy If the above tunes are correct my dealer installed the wrong one today. I have a T800 ABS with Arrow, I hooked up my DealerTool to check the tune and it is 20628. Why does it have to be so f'ing difficult?
  20. Andylaser

Andylaser Heavy Metal

Oddometer:
    Had the new tune installed and immediately noticed a difference. I havent had any stalling issues, but I did find the throttle a bit snatchy at low revs. This has now gone. The motor also seems more willing to pull at low revs and a bit more responsive at other revs.

Well done Triumph.:clap:clap:clap