Local to Kenya

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by zulusafari, Jan 5, 2011.

1. jhamby

jhamby n00b

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen, figured this would be the perfect place to introduce myself. I'm moving to Jinja next month and will be looking for a bike. I spoke with Lawrence but just can't afford the prices at the moment. Currently in the market for a decent bike that will be my primary transportation around Uganda. Spent ample time in Uganda and sub-saharan Africa. Glad to see a community of riders, hope to join you soon.
  2. mennleo

mennleo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just saw an add at "The Keep" in jinja for a nice XL125. you are better getting a bike in Uganda that has duty and taxes paid. check out http://www.facebook.com/pages/Uganda-Bikers/118638741532089 and http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702319 and http://ugandabikers.org/
  3. jhamby

jhamby n00b

Oddometer:
    Hmm, the owner of the Keep is a friend of mine, I'll give him a call. Actually, I'll be landing in Entebbe and heading to Jinja next Wednesday so I'll check it out then. Thanks for the tip.
  4. acrossafrica

acrossafrica Braap!

Oddometer:
    Josh, You are in good hands with Leo - he should guide you through the Ugandan market
  5. jhamby

jhamby n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice to know!

Leo, I'm in Amsterdam waiting on my flight to Entebbe. Staying at the Lake Vic Serena Thursday night and heading towards Jinja on Friday.

Will be in the market for a bike. If you hear of any, shoot me an email. josh (at) xchangeinternational (dot) org.
  6. causef0rconcern

causef0rconcern Rift Explorer

Oddometer:
    Hey locals,

I'm in the Amsterdam airport waiting for my flight to Nairobi now. I'm very excited for this move to finally happen! I'll be looking for a reliable dual sport once I land, probably something like an XR250. My budget is variable but basically small, and cheaper is better. Maybe 172,000-260,000KSH (2-3k USD). The bike basically just needs to be reliable and reasonably sized to do some trips.

Also, I'll be looking to make friends and talk bikes (or whatever!), so if anyone wants to hang out and tell me about the local scene, I'm game. Drop me a PM here!
  7. causef0rconcern

Oddometer:
    I'm settled into Naivasha now, and traveling into Nairobi relatively frequently. I'm still looking for (ideally) a Honda XR250 (or bigger!) or something similar. I've discovered how tough it is to find old Japanese bikes here, especially ones that aren't totally fried or 3x the price I'd be willing to pay. The old Japanese bike market here is crazy compared to the US!
  8. Ash-7

Ash-7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey CauseForConcern,

I'm selling my XR250 if you're still looking for one:deal [see pics below and drop an email if interested ash-7@live.com :tb ]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. salcar

salcar Riding 4 Health

Oddometer:
    Hello Kenya ADVs!

I'm currently traveling two-up from Cape to Cairo on a F800GS.
    We plan to cross into Kenya from Tanzania in the next few days.

I wanted to know if you could provide some info regarding the following:

- Where can I get new tires for the bike?
    - Is there by any chance a place where I can get chain and sprockets for a F800GS?
    - Any latest information on the road from Isiolo to Moyale? conditions? security? where to sleep along the way? gas along the way? anyone heading that way?

thank you for all the info that you can share!:deal
    SalCar
  10. zulusafari

zulusafari Malta DualSport

Oddometer:
    Welcome to Kenya.
    1. Tires - I would check with Christoph at J&J (I'm guessing you might be staying at his place). You could check with GoldenTyre of Kenya (find on facebook) and also Peter Pleitz (on facebook). If you message me directly, I can provide better direct contact info for each.

2. Chain & Sprockets - I think chains are generic, but the sprockets would most likely be with Christoph or Peter. In general, I think those would be VERY difficult to come across, but those guys can point you in the right direction. They can get you a nice chain, if available, but there are other contacts I have if you are okay with something less nice. Another option for generic parts of good quality, like a chain, is the KTM dealer Ian Duncan.

Here is a Google map with most of the motorcycle dealers/mech all over town with their contact details. http://goo.gl/maps/EQ612

3. Isiolo - You are in luck... if you are in Nairobi by Tuesday night. There is a meeting at a shopping area called CORRECTION: Prestige Plaza of riders going to Cairo in a few months. A few of them are giving a report of a trip that was just taken to Ethiopia and back only a few weeks ago. I have heard security is really a much smaller issue now. Plenty of petrol/gas along the way. I think they camped mostly.

PS. If you are staying at Jungle Junction (Christoph's place) then you can get most all the info you would need. Even if you are not staying there, it might be worth your time to stop by and strike up a few conversations with anyone around. There's always a bunch of overlanders there who have just done your trip or have some info for you.
  11. causef0rconcern

Oddometer:
    Ok, I got a bike - who wants to show me the their favorite places to ride in the Rift??
  12. zulusafari

Oddometer:
    Good to hear. I think there might be a trip going from Nairobi to Naivasha tomorrow. Check out the facebook page 'African Motorcycle Diaries' for a lot of local chatter.
  13. Pombe

Pombe Mzee

Oddometer:
    I do occasionally come to East Africa, but live down in Johannesburg. I ride a XT1200Z Yamaha. It would be good to know folks here.:clap
  14. zulusafari

Oddometer:
    Let us know when you are back around and we'll grab a bite and a ride.
  15. zulusafari

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. We had a Bike Night LAST NIGHT. I totally forgot to post it here as well. Sorry about that. We held in in Nairobi at the K1 club and there was a pretty good showing. Probably around 10-12 bikes and 20 guys. All kinds of bikes from a 1 day old 690 KTM down to a 165 Apache, and everything in between. Street bikes, Dual Sports, etc.

There is a good chance this will become a regular monthly thing. I am also keen to try out meeting at Seven in ABC Place on Tues evenings. Earlier, just after work, unlike the K1 meeting on Fridays that will always been a bit later 8-11pm or later.

If things firm up, I'll be sure to post here. Also be sure to join the facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/AMDiaries/
  16. Nmhinton

Nmhinton n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,
    I will be arriving in NBI at the end of July. I am looking for a good enduro, preferably 2 stroke 200cc+, but thumpers ok too. I like to race, adv ride, etc. Anyone know of anything (nothing too expensive please.)
  17. zulusafari

Oddometer:
    join the facebook group 'african motorcycle diaries'. lots of guys post there. Also contact motoadv Kenya.
  18. mennleo

mennleo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking of a round trip from uganda to South Africa in october. Who's with me??
  19. mennleo

mennleo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like to do a round trip from Uganda to South Africa this October. My brother flaked on coming with me. So i have an extra bike that needs a tall experienced rider. 2008 KTM950SE! 3 -4 weeks

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  20. causef0rconcern

Oddometer:
    Dude, I hate you. I'm moving back to the US on Tuesday from Kenya. Been riding here for the past 6 months. I would do anything to be on that trip, but unfortunately I'll be back in the US. Good luck!