The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. combo

combo D S N

Oddometer:
    With the jumper installed on the clutch switch the start in gear safety is removed but the kickstand safety remains.

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=2224.msg80394#msg80394
  2. Modus

Modus Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not on mine. Both the kickstand and the start in gear safeties still work.
  3. NomorBills

NomorBills WesternExplorer

Oddometer:
    Chandler, AZ & Summer in the Pines, Pine, AZ
    Well I pulled the Jumper wire and ride back home and the stumble is back and the fuel millage goes back up to 46 average.

So I would say that what ever is happening is making it run richer. Just how? or why? makes no sense. Why would the clutch in position change the fuel. Not sure if this is a fix or just a poor tune band aid. I still believe that the right way to get this to run may just be the reflash. That way you get it richer where you need it and not across the full range.

I like the way it runs with the jumper but this reinforces the need to reflash the ecu properly.
  4. combo

combo D S N

Oddometer:
    You may be right but I wonder what kind of mileage change are the guys that have had the re-flash done are getting now? I would bet it is lower. These bikes come in on the lean side and it takes fuel increase to make them run right. I am like you as to not understanding what the jumper exactly does to the ECU with fuel on the full range.

All I know for now is mine runs like it should for the full RPM range. Just like a correct jetted carb bike. :D
    I'm sure we will learn more about this as time goes on. :ear
  5. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
  6. NicolasR

NicolasR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the jumpered connector will make the engine to overheat. I mean, that should be like running an engine with the choke on.
    Just wondering...!!!
  7. DinX

DinX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw a good idea on the S10 forum and did the same. I replaced my paper clip with a mini fuse. They are the exact fit for the connector.

Picture from S10 forum

[​IMG]

I did some"butt dyno" tests after that on a long stretch of road (the road through Vogelsanck forest for Too_Tall, the perfect drag strip :D). Roll on full throttle runs in 2nd and 3rd gear. The difference is the same as described by the guys with a flashed ECU.
  8. Too_Tall

Too_Tall The Belgian

Oddometer:
    You bastard! :D I was out and about too!

Well I did the test. Went for a ride in T mode. After about 50km I pulled over, put the paperclip in, and rode on.

[​IMG]

It does smooth out the lower end considerably. It just pulls and pulls, all the way into the top range. Revs alot smoother and easyer now.

Went on a flat strech of road, flat bit, speed at 80kph. I blocked my throttle hand. Reached over with the other hand and pulled the paperclip out. No change in speed or rpm, but consumption went from 5 to 4.7. Did the same thing on the motorway at 120 kph, again a drop of 0.4-0.5 in consumption. SO I do wonder about when it has an effect, because I thought it was only in 2+3 gear? I was surely in 6th...

Went home. Thought it over. Did this;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 = hyperspace
    0 = no hyperspace

:lol3
  9. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    In gas milage with the clutch switch mod on my bike. 200km yesterday and got 53mpg Imperial/ 42.2 mpg U.S. Thats calculated by filling and taking milage since the last fill. Hit 100 mph couple of times. No water temperature change.
  10. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It should do the opposite. A lean motor will run hot, potentially overheating. This mod is causing the motor to run rich. If it's too rich it could foul plugs, but it won't make it run hotter.
  11. mbabc

mbabc Journeyman Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Just had to try this so took a 15amp mini fuse, turned the connectors sideways and plugged it in. In my very unscientific survey I'd say it works as others have described. Really pulls hard in 2 & 3 especially. Almost scary since I didn't know what to expect. In a nutshell, I'd say it makes a 3rd throttle mapping mode, I'd call 'Super Sport'. Once I gave it a good run I put the stock plug back in to see how this all shakes out. Might have to mod up a switch if this turns out to be long term safe and reliable.
  12. tvbh40a

tvbh40a PSUViking

Oddometer:
    Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
    Just stopped in at Birds of Prey Motorsports, Caldwell, ID and took the Tenere for a test drive. A lot more wind buffeting than I anticipated, reminded me of the 990 ADV. Suspension must need to break in, it was definitely stiff and I am 6'3" and 280#. It also showed 38 mpg on the readout, again KTM 990 numbers with the same size tank. The fuel consumption might have been my fault..:lol3 Extremely stable bike and point shoot kind of ride. I am not sure I was sold in the first 5 minutes or not. Just not sure if it is THE bike for me. But a nice bike, if only I could ride it for a week or a month.:evil
  13. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep.

Yep

Yep. They get between 4.5L/100 and 6.5l/100 after break in.

No one is. It not really design to be a round the block marvel.

Yep. Try and imagine it with more go, less fuel consumption and softer suspension. If on the other hand it had already done 5000 miles then not much will change.

:freaky
  14. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked up my bike yesterday. Enjoyed a nice 100+ degree day today to do some break-in mileage.

Rode up to Lake Pleasant. This sign would have turned me back on any of my previous bikes.

[​IMG]

The only real issue I have is the wind buffeting my head around. I'm going to look into all the screen options.

I did have an add-on Laminar Lip around I use on the Buell, so I thought I'd try it out. It's really low and might be cooler for these hot desert days.

What do you gents think?

[​IMG]

Side view:

[​IMG]
  15. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Looks OK to me. More importantly does it work for you?
  16. marc-s

marc-s photographer

Oddometer:
    I own an old S10 (xtz750) and am more or less happy with it. No way I'm going to buy any new bike soon, so my questions are just out of genuine interest for new bikes: how does the new s10 perform in terms of roadside repairs? The old s10 is a pain in the ass as for almost everything you need to take away lots of fairing and the fuel tank and air filter box if you want to access the carbs. changing the spark plugs is a mess if you don't have a very small tool and hands like a child (and even then you're advised to remove the radiator). sparks are everywhere: near the battery, under the tank... haven't found them all yet). But at least you can do a lot of fixing by yourself and you can use lots of parts from other bikes). And draining fuel near the fuel pump for refilling your gas stove is possible without removing the fairing (nice!).

so how does the new s10 compare to the old one and - more important - to other adventure bikes? is it a high tech bomber that needs an authorized dealer even for washing it, or is it an Enfield, that has virtually nothing that could break. and if it breaks, you can fix it with tape and a hammer.
  17. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should probably let someone like the waspman answer this but the basics are like this.

The tank flips up with a support so you can get at the air filter.
    The electrical parts are all mainly on the right side behind a cover that uses 1/4 turns screws to get at.
    The radiator is on the left out of the way of sticks mud and crap.
    The dry sump system is not as easy as a wet sump to change oil but pretty easy.
    The shaft lube change is easy.
    The shaft is easy enough to extract as well. so one guy mentions when he extracted a stone that got in there.

In fact I think the bike is so easy on maintenance it seems people are making things up to fiddle with :lol3

BUT I have been too busy riding to start tearing it apart for something to do.
  18. Arktus

Arktus on XTzy!

Oddometer:
    Tested this today (2010 S10). 2nd gear was like new and made my wife go "woohooo!":evil
    Very nice. I used a paper clip for testing, which is now in the topcase. Just in case i want to go evil:D.

Greetz

Arktus
  19. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just went out and did some highway miles and I love the little screen. I think it's going to be perfect for commuting and getting through the summer in the desert. The wind hits right at my shoulders, so no buffeting and plenty of air flow through my perforated leather jacket. I will want a tall screen for any long trips, I think, and for colder weather.
  20. Too_Tall

Too_Tall The Belgian

Oddometer:
    The little screen looks good! Whatever works = best. I for one love to ride with my visor open, so I opt for a tall screen with spoiler. Did a testride on a naked bike a few weeks ago, and I just can't stand it...maybe with time I could get used to it, but for my XT1200Z, give me a tall screen please!

Did about 100km today with the girlfriend on the back, and played with the clutchswitch mod a bit. At any speed (50/70/90/120 kph), block the throttle hand, and when I switched the mod on, you could feel "a" change. When revving up and turning the mod on, the revs would immediately pull faster through the range. My girlfriend liked it very much :evil