NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by OsoADV, Oct 9, 2013.

1. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good job. That's a tough trip in a car. :clap
  2. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    Well, I learned a few things yesterday:

1. I CAN ride in the rain for 12 hours
    2. I will NOT do that again
    3. My "waterproof" Alpinestars boots and gloves are good for about 9 or 10 hours of pouring rain before they say "enough!" and suck up several gallons of water each
    4. The Michelin PR3 is the finest tire ever made - and the set I'm on has over 8,000 miles on them already
  3. ttr

ttr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very good go on and drive safe!
  4. MaineScoot

MaineScoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sure hope you guys have some better weather today. The radar looks clear. See you tonight. I'll second the Portland Lobster Company recommendation.
  5. XCRider803

XCRider803 Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer:

The FJR seat was the best stock seat I've had in a long time, but I still had to stop every 200 miles or so, glad you found a good seat.

Have you put out the 'wings' on the fairing, and if you still have the V-Stream windshield what do you think? I've done many hours on a FJR in the rain and if the traffic keeps moving I was good with the V-Stream and fairing wings expanded.
  6. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    Hello to all following along. We had a wonderful day today that helped to overshadow yesterday's challenges.

Much more detail to follow, but they say a picture is worth a thousand words...so with no further adieu...a Maine lobster dinner. :clap

[​IMG]
  7. strom thingie

strom thingie Lost and Proud! Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^Awesome.
  8. ghte

ghte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That lobster made it all worthwhile Evan. Can almost taste it.
  9. AdvNuma

AdvNuma Long Rider

Oddometer:
    Evan:

I have ridden 1000+ miles in 24 hours several times (it's been a while), but haven't ever taken the time to document it so as to qualify for membership in the elite Iron Butt Association. I'm up for riding a SS1000 with you if you'd like company.

Maybe we should try to do on a day when it's not raining.

Numa
  10. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    I agree about the stock seat, it really was pretty decent. The Russell is just exceptional.

I forgot all about those wings pulling out. I do still have the same V-Stream and it did well.

I'll expand on it later, but the real issue if the day was my boots filled with water (because my rain pants are too short), gloves soaked through and quit heating (because they weren't waterproof), and the pin lock in my helmet fogged up (not sure why). All that combined made it tough after 14+ hrs on the road.

If I had the right gear, it would have been much easier. I told the guys I would have gladly paid $1000 for a decent rain suit that day, as cold and wet as I was. That said, the bike did great, it was just my ill-preparedness that made me miserable!
  11. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    Numa that sounds great. I'd enjoy the challenge. 690 is my longest day so far (day 1 of this trip). Dry would be nice.
  12. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    Yum! Doesn't look like the tables at DiMillos, where'd you end up going?
  13. Mongle

Mongle Cyberdos groupie

Oddometer:
    I have found waterproof boots are great for a couple of hours of rain...after that...they don't do so well.

What they do well is not letting the water OUT. I wish someone could explain that science to me. :lol3

Looks great Evan! Be careful coming home!
  14. houndawgg

houndawgg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it's not closed for the season yet, ride up Mt Washington
  15. XCRider803

Oddometer:

Awesome you guys! Glad you made it and had a good day. :D
  16. XCRider803

Oddometer:

Well now, it's looking like a convoy. :rofl I would like part of that action. Also agree no rain.... and a beer and ceegar when we're done.
  17. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    First long distance trip, I was advised to do no more than 600 miles a day.. I left at 6am and reached 600 miles by 1pm.. felt OK to continue on so rode on. Did 900 miles first day and then 700 miles next day getting to Albuquerque to visit a friend for 2 weeks. Found out from someone I would qualify for Iron Butt so I gathered my receipts.

[​IMG]

On returned trip, decided to go for 1K miles and if I had time, possible push for 1500 miles. I did 1,526 miles within 24 hours only to find out later that bike odometer is 10% off so they awarded me Saddlesore 1000 for doing 1,463 miles in 24 hours..

[​IMG]

That's enough for me.. no need to chase more Iron Butt. I am satisfied with my accomplishment although I didn't really set to do it until last minute.

Good luck with your!
  18. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    Well folks, as far as I know we all made it home in one piece just a bit ago. SanCage split off yesterday to visit family in DC, and JoeyBones and JMforPres were with me up until the last few miles where we split off to head to our respective homes.

2100-2200 miles in ~83hrs.

JMforPres will confirm the route and total distance from his GPS. I'll be writing up a full report soon with pictures, videos, and stories.
  19. AdvNuma

AdvNuma Long Rider

Oddometer:
    Glad that you guys got safely back to Charlotte! Looking forward to the full report in this thread and to hearing about it in person on Thursday evening.

Numa
  20. Serbchaser

Serbchaser Chasin' the Serb

Oddometer:
    :freaky:freaky:freaky