The Montesa Cota 315 R Thread...

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Garthe, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Choicecut

Choicecut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks to you fucking fucks in this trial forum, I am now going to attempt to break my neck in the trials arena. A fellow ADV rider hooked my up with what I think is a good bike from reading this thread. Got a couple hours in tonight around the yard, banks and steps. Definitely a workout. Can't wait to run some Novice events with it. Planning on a full fluid flush and it should be ready to go. I can show Motojunkie and the rest of you FF the proper way to break your neck in style! :rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2StrokesForever likes this.
  2. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    :clap

Very cool. Excellent choice IMO.
  3. GESII

GESII Gerry with a G

Oddometer:
    Between nowhere and somewhere - Hyndman, PA
    Have a goodtime wit it Eli... Always good meeting a fellow Adv junkie :1drink
    Don't forget to remove bolts and ziptie rear fender!
  4. Choicecut

Oddometer:
    I think it will be a great starter. Hoping to get to some events around here soon and make an ass out of myself.

Yep, was awesome meeting you today! Some beautiful country over your way, pretty envious! Zip ties are first thing tomorrow. Had to play around as soon as it was off the trailer tonight. :lol3
  5. GrayEagleRider

GrayEagleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great looking bike, looks to be in very good shape. I have a Monty 315 as well that a fellow inmate found for me. Hope to get a ride in tomorrow.
  6. motojunky

Oddometer:
    There's a log crossing with your name on it! :D

We gotta remember to take a few pics this time.
  7. GrayEagleRider

Oddometer:
    Hopefully it's not written in blood. :D

We can keep the camera down for the first couple tries, right? :lol3
  8. motojunky

Oddometer:
    I don't think we drew any blood today.

That whole first couple of tries with no video thing is a double edged sword. Seems like we missed all of the best attempts. :lol3
  9. GrayEagleRider

Oddometer:
    Totally agree, apparently I do all my best work off camera. :hmmmmm

I did get a blister on my hand that eventually popped... so there was some blood involved.:D I am kicking myself for not at least attempting the bigger log crossing though.

Maybe I can squeeze one more trip to the Motojunkie Training Center before I roll south.
  10. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    I dunno for POSITIVE, but when I get blisters on my hand, (wearing same gloves, same amount of riding) I find that the handle-grips are in need of new rubber, just sayin I cant tell by picture anyhow. or you might be breaking in "virgin" blister areas. LOL.

Oh, and F@cking Welcome to the "F@cking" Darkside! LOL! :wings

:thumb
  11. GrayEagleRider

Oddometer:
    I think the blister was a combination of a couple of things. One being as you suggested "virgin" blister area and my wedding band being a contributing factor. I do need to get out and ride more that is for sure, could use new grips as well.

Thanks for the warm welcome. :lol3
  12. Choicecut

Oddometer:
    Well, got three days of good riding in on the new to me Montesa. It decided not to stay running about mid week. My Dad popped over tonight and we went through the carb, cleaned out all the jets and it appears the slow jet was clogged. This led us to discover an over abundance of oil in the air filter box and on the air filter. Cleaned all the oil up and squeezed the excess out of the filter. Slapped in a new spark plug, put the carb back together, and it was back to running good! :clap

Now I can get on those off camber turns tomorrow. Can't wait! :evil
  13. Choicecut

Oddometer:
    Got in some practice doing off camber turns on my banks in the backyard. Shit is tough as hell and it's hot as balls outside, so I called it quits for the evening.

The Montesa had a broken rear brake protector when I bought it, so my dad being the cool mofo that he is, made me a kick ass one off job from some solid aluminum he had. :deal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Is there such a thing as a rebuild kit for the forks on a 2001 Montessa?
    Mine are leaking from the bottom adjusters, I think.
  15. GrayEagleRider

Oddometer:
    The people to ask would be Mike at the Tryals Shop;

http://www.tryalsshop.com/

or Dennis at Overland Trail Cycles;

http://www.overlandtrail.biz/

Both are very knowledge on the Montesa and are very frriendly and willing to answer questions. Mike has lots of used Montesa parts (and a decent bit of new) on the shelf that he can make you deals on while Dennis stocks a surprisingly good deal of new parts in his store. Hope this helps.
  16. Bigbird

Bigbird "Dog Is My Co-Pilot"

Oddometer:
    The Point of No Return, in the Adirondacks, NY
    I'm wanting to give trials a try and have a line on a 2001 Montesa 315R. Guy is asking $2000 for it. Haven't seen it yet or know the history. Is it a good "beginners" bike? And, assuming the bike's in nice shape and doesn't need anything major, is the price a fair one? What are the strong points of the model? How about weak points and things to keep an eye out for? I'm completely new to trials so any tips on this will help.
  17. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Making a firm decision on whether you want to ride modern or vintage trials would be a good start. If you want to compete, then you should probably base your decision on what classes the clubs in your area cater for, and ideally go along to a few meetings and have a good look at whats going on.

The 315R is an ideal beginner bike though, has high build quality and is far more reliable than European powered bikes.
  18. nwcycle

nwcycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    $300.00 rear fenders :wink:
  19. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a load of crap. The 315 had it`s own issues. There is nothing wrong with the 315 ( besides crazy parts prices), but I always preferred the Beta rev3. (Just a personable choice)
    Most parts besides the engine are shared with the European bikes. It really just depends on condition. Buy the least used bike you can find. Keep hunting until you are satisfied.
  20. GrayEagleRider

Oddometer:
    You can find them on ebay.uk for considerably less than that which are made from a more flexible plastic. Last time I checked you can get them for around $75.00 after the conversion rate, but shipping will cost you an additional $80 to $100. :eek1

Can also on regular ebay from time to time for cheap.