600 mile service (Do it myself?)

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rgb2cmyk, Mar 28, 2013.

1. rgb2cmyk

rgb2cmyk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 GSA and am wondering about doing the 600 mile service myself.

I'm not worried about 'can' I do it myself, but rather 'should' I do it?

I know I can, I did most all of the maintenance on my '09. I've read around the forum and the debate almost as never-ending as an oil thread.

The question is more have people had issues down the line with BMW (warranty etc) having done their own 600 mile service? What about doing half the service, aka engine and FD oil, and then bringing it in for them to 'look over'?

Certainly there's savings to be had by doing it myself, the dealers around here it's going to be $400 or so. I'll pay it if it will save me hassle down the line, but that does buy an awful lot of farkles.

All maintenance beyond I plan on doing my own, I'm just wondering about the 600 mile.
  2. luckygrownup

luckygrownup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can do it yourself. However, if you have a warranty issue the dealer might say that you didn't properly service or maintain your bike. Personally, I think the 600 mile one should be done at the dealers, and everything else could be done on your own.
  3. UAS

UAS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed.
  4. AzItLies

AzItLies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did my 600 and asked the dealer first what they thought about it...

document everything. If the service manual has a list of things to do, print it out and indicate ea one of them was done.

It's obviously a CYA thing, in case there's a claim and the mfg wants to fight you.

Also, stay on good terms with your dealer. If you can do that, they will go to bat for you if needed. Bought my bike from my local dealer and they have been helpful with suggestions etc about this sort of thing.

Good luck with it. 2 of the last 3 bikes I've owned, did the 600 myself. Would much prefer to knowing it's done right vs hoping and guessing.

Cheers
  5. chewnaut

chewnaut Rob

Oddometer:
    Here's my story:

I had mine ('12 GSA) done at dealer in chandler, AZ. I called and they quoted me $250! And that's what I payed! So it didn't hurt the wallet bad. I just did my 6k using the JVB DVD and spent about $100. It actually should have been cheaper but I changed all fluids (FD, motor oil, tranny, brake flush). I bought SAF XO 75w-90, oil filter, crush washers from dealer to keep warranty gods happy. By the way I live in Albuquerque and go to Sandia BMW, they are super helpful even if I'm doing my own maintenance :rofl

In the end I think it depends in your dealer and your relationship with them. I've purchased two new bikes from Sandia and consider myself a "regular" in their shop.
  6. Chat Lunatique

Chat Lunatique aka El Gato Loco

Oddometer:
    My Story:

My cost in Canada for the 600m/1000km service came to $314.31 with tax. In exchange for the honour of donating this money to the stealership, they changed my engine oil and filter, FD oil and eyeballed the pig for loose bolts etc. After they powerwashed my ride it wouldn't run and I was stranded at the dealer from 8:30 to 16:30 before they got her to run.

Here's the link to JVB's service schedule. It will work for your 2012. Keep all receipts and staple them to this schedule. You'll be Ok for warranty with this proof of work.

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Service Schedule PDF.pdf
  7. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    I did all the fluids and dealer did the routine checks on my '12 1200GS. Cost $90.
  8. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    My dealer includes the 600 in the cost of the vehicle so that was a no-brainer for me. I also had them do the 6000 mile since I wanted them to have a good look at is early in the break in and warranty. I did the 12k and 24k and they did the 18k. I'll do the 30k this weekend and probably most after that since it is out of factory warranty as of next month. I may have them do one every once in a while for a second set of eyes.
  9. malloy

malloy Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Although the 600 mile service is pretty simple, basically and oil change and a once over on fasteners, it is a good idea to have the dealer do it. That way there are no questions should you have any real issues in the first 6,000 miles.
  10. rangerrn

rangerrn Spencers first mow!! Training him right!!

Oddometer:
    I took my new 1200GS to Grasss Roots BMW after changing the oil/filter myself. They performed the complete 600 mile service with my total charge being $84.25.
  11. rgb2cmyk

rgb2cmyk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm, maybe I'll just take it in.
  12. orgo

orgo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're into doing your own service, document it on the standard maintenance form and keep your receipts.

Make sure all your receipts reflect items that meet BMW standards as far as correct oil viscosity and and API standards . Note down your measurements on the valve clearances.

I use BMW oil and air filters.

It's all pretty simple really.