The XR250R Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sixer, Feb 4, 2009.

1. sixer

sixer I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer:
    Let's keep this going. Here's a topless picture to encourage some input. :deal

[​IMG]

:hide
    Turns out Clarke keeps shipping their tanks without the proper mounting hardware. I'm waiting on a rubber piece to raise the rear of the tank off the head of the engine. :cry Atleast its getting warmer. :freaky
  2. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    So,i guess i'm pick'n a 89 up later this week!:clap Fellow inmate[Crankshaft] hooked a brother up.
    I'm just look'n to put a good 95% dirt bike together.I mean i've been beat'n the shit out of the DR650 try'n to fit it in the woods where 350+lb bikes shouldn't go,so the XR250R will be set up to fit the bill.
    I'm look'n to put something,madmax of the big woods look'n thing together,or something.:D
    So its time to get the XR250R thread kick'n,i'll try to make sure it stays on the first page.:wink:
  3. sixer

Oddometer:
    Nice. Pictures, we all want to see them when you get your new bike. You wanna know something lame? I haven't even ridden my '03 in the dirt yet been busy with school and driving all over the place looking for a dirtbike for my SO. But today paid off, she got a nice '06 DR-z125. Gonna get it plated tomorrow. Now I have a awesome riding partner. :freaky
  4. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Good for you,i taught mine how to ride about 12 years ago,now her bikes cost more then mine.:huh I can't get her in the dirt though.
    Pics when i pick her up,unless Crankshaft post me one.:D

P.S. GET OUT AND RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Still wait'n to pick mine up,God Damnit!!!:ddog

But like i said this thread needs to be seen!!!!!BUMP
  6. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Hey,did ya get that XR dirty yet?????:ddog
    I'll have mine tomorrow,and its going in the dirt right away!:clap
    Don't let me beat ya,to it!!!Hell man,you live in AZ,and i live in Upstate NY!!!!!!!:huh
  7. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. red neckerson

red neckerson Lifetime novice

Oddometer:
    I've got an '86 & a 2000 model...It's incredible how similar the bikes are. The '86 starts FAR easier, runs just as well, and has a more comfortable seat. The '00 model might be a bit stronger out of the hole. My nephews (of about the same weight) have drag raced from a 20mph start and stayed neck & neck. I'l post photos later. love this thread.
    PS- any source for new side plastics for the early bike??
  9. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Picked it up this afternoon!!!:clap
    Put about 50 miles on it,runs great.I'd post some pics but the new pic set up has got me all messed up.

Try XR'sonly.com for the side pannels.
  10. sixer

Oddometer:
  11. sixer

Oddometer:
    Congrats. I took mine out on Friday. I had a blast on it. I spent most of my time helping my SO get used to her new DR-z125. So not as much riding time as I'd like to have gotten but she loves her new bike, so that is what matters the most to me right now.
  12. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Ya gotta put in the quility time with mama!:thumb

I already thru the little XR up on the lift.Not to much to do,a get a new set of side pannels[ones melted]a seat cover,and tune up,fluid change,and just alittle farkle'n.:D
  13. sixer

Oddometer:
    Nice, I tore the new DR-z into pieces when I got her. I had a hell of a time starting my XR when I took her out. Should the charge on the Baja Design's battery matter on how easy she is to start? The battery was dead, no lights when on start (second setting on the headlight switch). When charged, a secondary light comes on in the headlight (not high nor low just another little light). Once I got her started (bump and boy was I was tired) she started first kick.
  14. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    I don't know??
    I don't have a battery.Kick,and kick,and,kick,bang run'n,i guess you could call the white thing up front a light,and the red thing in the back stays on when shes run'n,but thats all i got,or need.:evil
    I'll try to keep the plate dirty.:thumb
  15. guesswork

guesswork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before I head off in all directions....

OK, recent aquired a 93 xr250r. Starts and runs out pretty good. My concern is "White Smoke" very strong at idle once the bike is well warmed up. I am to old to be interested in Peak preformance, but if I need to get some top end work before thing deteriorate, where do I start.

So, should I suspect rings, maybe valves? might the just need an adjustment or could they be warn-out?
    What would I spend for a complet top rebuild/ Do I need to include new cam and timing chain? Remember, the bike is running OK.

So, What say you? I'm not much of a mechanic but willing to get my hands dirty.

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, advise.
  16. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Welcome!:clap

I just picked up an 88 for single track purpose,and love the little thing!

What i would do,if i were you,is first thing pull the plug and see what it says.
    Is the smoke white,or blue?
    White smoke would make me think its run'n lean.Everything else seems fine,like power,no weird noises,etc?
    If it was blue smoke,i'd start with valve seals,was it sit'n for awhile?
    I would start simple,and go up from there.So white smoke at start up,,,,,,read the plug and see if shes lean,open the air box and check the filter,if thats OK,then check your carb intake gaskets,and see if its got a leak and suck'n to much air.I've seen bikes do that because the air filter wasn't on right.Or some guys will do the free flow'n filters or cut the snorkle off,and open the air box up for more air,and not rejet,or not rejet properly.
    Did the bike come from a lower elevation?Might be a jet'n issue.
    If ya think its a ring problem,see if ya can do a compresion test,that'll tell ya if she need a set of rings.
    A top end,if you do the work yourself shouldn't be that much money.And if it was me,and i had the top end off,i would do the cam,time'n chain,its a weak point and might save ya trouble down the road.:D
    Dignostics,is the hardest part of mechanics!!!
    But if it isn't your only bike,and ya got the time,start with the simple things and go from there.Beleave it or not alot of the time its something simple.:thumb
    Keep us infromed,and we'll figure it out together.:lol3
  17. guesswork

guesswork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now if I just had a Honda Sparkplug socket?

For Real, Just the kind of advise I hoped for, Thanks again...
  18. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl
    Yea there plug is pain in the ass!!!!!
    But that will tell the story.:D
  19. sixer

Oddometer:
    Damn, do you need a special socket to get the plug out? I think I should change the plug on my '03. I'm hopefully going riding tomorrow. :ricky
  20. Bert Fox

Bert Fox Casual Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,
    I recently sold the wife's Super Sherpa. She isn't interested in riding anymore. I have a chance to pick up a plated 1998 XR250R. I want something smaller to go with my BMW G650 XChallenge. Sounds like the little XR would be perfect. I'll stay plugged into your thread. Thanks for getting it going!:1drink :freaky
    Bert