2013 F800GS and F700GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by The Jinx, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks great, love the color.

Enjoy,

Jon...
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    Likely needed to support the ASC function?
  3. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Has anyone looked to see if the actual front master cylinder is the same as the one on the older models?

In other words, could the non-bobble-head reservoir be retrofitted to the older bikes?
  4. JRWooden

Oddometer:
  5. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Promises are cheap. What is going on with the left side mirror? Are you a coon hunter?? Luggage mounts are not racks. The mounts installed are for the lame Vario cases. I still can't understand why you spent so much time PSing the center stand away. You have a 20 hour old bike and you are worried about a picture on a bullshit post looking cool. Let us see a picture of you and the new bike with today's newspaper from your town. Maybe a sales receipt with your name blanked out will convince me but I doubt it. :freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky GH
  6. hound master

hound master Adventurer

Oddometer:

all really good points.
    thank god this one turned out:

[​IMG]
  7. GS-rant

GS-rant New Adventures

Oddometer:
    So my partner and I both ordered a F650GS to spec but she ordered hers after mine. What happened was I got my F650GS but BMW cancelled the July production and started making the F700GS. So short cut to the end of this story was I got the F650GS she got the new F700GS.
    [​IMG]

So we did get her bike just in time to head out to the Horizons Unlimited meeting in BC last Wednesday and give the bike a good run. There are a few positive changes to the F700GS; the gearing, placement of some key components, the dual disk breaks on the front and the controls. There is also a negative change to the wind shield which is to small and there is not an after market available yet. However, when we put my F650GS and her F700GS side by side the only real difference is the number 650 vs 700.....Oh Ya, and she gets all the attention :huh

[​IMG]
  8. Scapadu

Scapadu Motomaniac

Oddometer:
    I did a 2 hours test ride on the F700GS yesterday, and i check if the current wind shield i have (on my F800GS and which formerly was on my F650GS) could be installed on the F700GS.
    The answer is YES, just need to remove the 2 new side black plastic parts that have been added and purchase the 2 missing bracket (#6 on below picture) + screws from former 650GS or 800GS model, then remove the OEM screen and after market shield shold fit! :wink:

[​IMG]
  9. Parigi

Parigi Hoinar

Oddometer:
    I saw the first 2013 F800GS and to my surprise, there was a WP sticker on the front forks.
  10. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    A sticker does not a WP fork make. :D

They are still the same low budget Marzocchi 45mm units on the 2013 models.

If you want proper WPs on there you will have to put them on yourself! :deal

[​IMG]
  11. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    OK ... my local dealer has two new F700GS & a new F800GS on the floor.
    The F800GS had the "luxury pkg" which I assume is also available on the F700GS and consisted of:

• The Vario pannier mounts <--- so that solves the question of the luggage/saddlebag mounts
    • Center stand (and this year's center stand is "straight-legged" not curved tubing)
    • Heated grips (available @ $250 by themselves)
    • OBC
    Package lists @ $505 which actually seemed good for what you're getting
    (Maybe BMW does feel a LITTLE guilty about the Euro / USD exchange rate shift?)

Looks like ABS is standard

The Safety package consisting of ESA II and Enduro ASC is $595

As someone mentioned in some thread (maybe this one...:lol3) it would appear that the windscreens from the old F650GS/F800G will work on the new F700GS with the removal of a few plastic bits, and the addition of the two "angle brackets" that hold the back corners of the current shield.

The Charcoal canister appears to be tucked in front of the gas tank it NOT up under the seat at the front of the tank.

The "hand wheel" for the rear suspension pre-load now looks more like the round-style handle on an outdoor water faucet, I liked it better.

Bobble-head ft. brake reservoir is gone.
    It looks to me like the new reservoir would bolt up to our old master cylinder, a comparison of the P/N for the front master cylinder for the old bikes vs. current year would likely tell us if any internal design modifications were made to the master cylinder to allow the removal of Mr. Bobble-head or if they finally just decided Mr. Bobble-head could take his leave of us............

My F658GS has ~28K miles on it, is due for the 24K mile service, is almost 4 yrs old, and "almost" needs a new front tire, and is in excellent condition (GS911 told me that the valves were good till 29K so I hadn't had the service done).

I was offered $6K trade-in for mine withOUT the farkles, or $6800 with if I had 24K service & new front tire done. That price didn't make me jump for joy ... but to be fair id didn't make me want to cry either....

Might trade, or might buy the new ft. master cylinder resivoir, new hand-wheel, and an ElectroSport stator and call it done not sure :lol3
  12. petzi-baer

petzi-baer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Were you able to test ride it?

I doubt there is a big difference, but I was how or if the throttle response changed or if the newer rear suspension makes any difference.

thanks

petzi-baer
  13. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    No ... I was not, I was a bit pressed for time and the bike was tied up in the middle of the showroom.
    4 more HP, and like you say ... maybe different throttle response oh and slightly more aggressive gearing 42/17
    I wonder if the suspension is actually different or if it's the same suspension (mechanically speaking),
    with a control circuit dropped on top... ???
  14. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    A question for the 650 owners, does it look like the engine guards for the 650 will work for the 700?
  15. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    I would think the engine guards that mount to the frame and engine would fit just fine....there seems to be no differences to either..... have said that, I still would make sure I could return them if there was some problem.
  16. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    I saw a 2013 F800GS for the first time last week. It is rather nice, actually.

In blue and with those colored triangles on the side, it looks like a dirt bike on steroids. I consider this a positive change.

[​IMG]

More detail on the side panels. The blue is a solid blue. Rather nice.

[​IMG]

The grab handle and the case attachment.

[​IMG]

The revised beak.

[​IMG]

Detail:

[​IMG]

Slight changes in the instrument cluster: can you spot the difference? Here is the 2013:

[​IMG]

And the 2012:

[​IMG]

And the controls, turn signals together on the left side. Who says BMW doesn't listen? :lol3

[​IMG]

Talking about BMW not listening, I'm curious to know what they've done with the rear spring attachment to the frame. Or not have done.

Enjoy.
    Lion
  17. Karbono

Karbono Rookie GSer

Oddometer:
    ...so... no scottoiler in the regular position...

...and is that a new spring?

Plus, what happened to the cooler on the side? I'm guessing it's just "rotated".

[​IMG]
  18. grndzr0

grndzr0 its Ground Zero

Oddometer:
    Looks like the tank area might be a bit narrower allowing you to get a bit further forward while standing up.

Anybody else notice that?

Also, it does not look like the beak is removable, it looks to be one piece with the upper side fairing. So much for de-beaking... (although I like the beaks!)

Ryan
  19. Philthy1

Philthy1 Philthy

Oddometer:
    Ducksbane, can I put in an order for one too?
  20. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh stop it you tease.

I saved up the funds for my new front end project and my daughter rings and wants to borrow exactly the amount I'd saved.

The pricing on the new models here hasn't really moved much from the old models. So the 700 is nearly $7000 cheaper than the 800. Makes the 700 the pick of the 2.

The difference is primarily the suspension. A little performance difference, but to be honest it suits 2-up or riding mostly of road anyway.

For $7000, you throw away the suspension, fit proper stuff and then put a power commander or similar on it. Racks, panniers, and all the bling. I can't seriously see why anyone would buy the 800 here with the pricing the way it is.

I'd buy the KTM990R in preference to the F800 at our prices as there's only $2000 difference. They had the 1200GS going for only $4000 more than the 800.

They make me wonder exactly who they want to sell the 800 to in Australia? After owning one, and with the current pricing the way it is, I'd have to honestly say it doesn't even make the short list for a replacement for my existing F800 now.

I'd get the 1200GS in preference with the pricing as it is for 2-up touring work with dirt roads as a base, and the KTM for mostly 2-up dirt roads with solo hard core stuff thrown in. If money was an issue it'd be the 700GS.

The F800 here at least, has been priced for extinction in my humble opinion.

But they'll still sell them to blokes who want to show up at the regular weekend ride haunts and look all hard core while sipping their lattes.

Pity.