My 950 Refresh or Mission Creep...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by sakurama, May 5, 2009.

1. limeymike

limeymike Bourbon Tester

Oddometer:
    I compare this thread to a guy that starts out with a light bulb not working and ends up rebuilding the fucking Hoover dam.:D Great read Gregor, I admire your persistence.
  2. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Sean,

Yeah, one of those updates will be getting some tips from you! I just landed in NYC and after my shoot tomorrow I'll have two days to make some progress...

G
  3. Tukata

Tukata ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer:
    Where on earth are you getting the factory decals?

I'm about to re-paint mine and want to find the black factory KTM stickers
  4. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Well you can order them from Munn's but I'm not going to - theyre like $200! Check the fisch. Still not sure about what I'm doing for paint but my shopmate Peter has a vinyl cutting machine so i can dream anything. Just not sure what that is...
  5. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a set of the black factory decals, let me know and I can send them to you.
  6. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Okay, it's starting to feel like this thread has jumped the shark. Flanny has even accused me of being tweaky - I mean when the guy with an orange garage says you're being obsessive, well, maybe it's time to think about things. Anyway this exhaust has started to feel like a crucible and I've been seeking out welding advice from all corners to help me out. Finally, on Friday I said fuck it all, it's time to just do it. The exhaust was never supposed to be perfect it was supposed to be a learning experience (that I hoped would be really close to perfect).

So, Friday.

I spent most of the day making a jig for my cold saw that would hold the tubes perfectly and repeatably so I could make my X crossover - the part that has held up my progress. Here's the jig:

[​IMG]

It replaces the vice of the saw with a sliding clamp so I can repeatably duplicate my cuts and it worked flawlessly. It's one of the lessons I've taken away from working with Chris and Todd and Peter - about 80-90% of a job is preparation. Do that right and the rest is easy. Remind me of that when I start to paint...

[​IMG]

Place the tube in the jig, clamp and cut. Repeat, four times.

[​IMG]

Tack weld them together.

[​IMG]

Imagine where you'd cut them.

[​IMG]

Prepare to finally put some actual bead down. Clamp, seal, purge with argon.

[​IMG]

Weld.

[​IMG]

You want to talk about tricky? That's welding into that tight ass gap. I have no idea how I did it but I did it.

Then you cut them both in half and carefully dress them on the belt sander until they are perfectly mated. Interior is just about perfect. I have zero complaints and I'm very happy.

[​IMG]

Then weld the two parts together to form the final part - my happy little X crossover.

[​IMG]

Perfect? No. Close enough? You bet.

Gregor
  7. boy60

boy60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is awsome. You have done an unreal job. Love these threads. I know I will never have one:deal
  8. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1. bloody awesome!!! :clap
  9. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    And you were worried about your welding abilities for what reason? That looks better than most full systems I've purchased for my track bikes.
  10. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice! Glad you dove in, and the results look better than any of my "learning experiences".
  11. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Not bad but I bet Flanny could have laid down some orange beads :lol3
  12. farmboy7

farmboy7 n00b

Oddometer:
  13. el' hefe

el' hefe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Impressive indeed. That crossover is a work of art....and your photograhy isn't too shabby either. In the words of Primus ...fish on.... or in your case, build on!
  14. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    just reposting it cause it kicks ass
    great job man, couldn't imagine that a crossover would look sexy, but I stand corrected.

:D
  15. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Quick update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried to get primer down last night. I knew the primer I had was old so I bought new activator. Later, when the primer was spraying like spackle Chris mentioned to me that it was even older than I thought. Umm, crap. I hope it will just sand smooth and be fine. Nothing worse than doing all that prep for nothing.

As for color. I've spent a lot of time looking at different bikes and, much as I hate to admit it, I think Flanny might have nailed it with the satin black. I wanted to go white but I don't know if the bike will end up looking like a giant refrigerator. Just not sure. Another option was a dark gray metallic which would split the difference. Mostly I just want to get it done. I hate painting.

Gregor
  16. Ravyn

Ravyn nubblies need to die!

Oddometer:
    Show you're Bed Stuy roots - satin black - no contest:dllama
  17. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

if I hadn't of had orange rims I would have gone with a red and black color scheme :thumb

I think red looks the biz, throw some ktm vinyl in black or white on it.....

[​IMG]
  18. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the reminder. SEM Hot Rod Black ordered. Done.

Deadly, I can't paint a KTM red. Just like I couldn't paint a Ducati orange. Just certain things you can't do. Goes against nature. Paint should be here by Thursday giving me one evening to finish it. Better get that prep done by tomorrow...

G
  19. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I hear ya but sometimes going against the norm is a good thing (or a really bad mistake, lol)
  20. VertigoCycles

VertigoCycles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice work Gregor! :clap