Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by jehu, Nov 28, 2012.

1. jehu

jehu ∩HƏſ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi folks,

I stumbled upon this near perfect 1969 CB350 online and after asking the seller if it was still for sale, I received this reply:

"Hello and thanks for your interest,

the bike is still for sale and in excellent condition. I have the title in hand so I'm ready for a quick deal. I have dropped my price to $2,000, since this is an Urgent Sale! All documents, including owner’s manual, clear title and a bill of sale on your name will be provided along with the bike. I'm forced to sell it a.s.a.p. because I work on a cruise ship now and I'm offshore most of the time.
    The bike is in Florida Keys but if you are serious about buying, I will ship it for no extra cost and would like to close the deal through eBay's Vehicle Protection Program because it offers protection for both of us.
    Unfortunately I can't use my cell at work but I will check my email several times a day.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
    XXXX."

Does this look like a scam? Can a bike be purchased through eBay's protection program if it's not listed on eBay?

Thanks FOR THE REPLIES
  2. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would b very careful. You can offer him COD (some vehicle delivery co offer it). Or ask him to do a private listing on EBay. Shipping from FL to AZ will cost about $600 to $800. No way he will eat that. Tread carefully and good luck. This could be a great find. But I smell rat.
  3. bringenufgun

bringenufgun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SCAM, SCAM, SCAM!!! don't even consider it and cut off any communication with this prick. if he can get an email address he may gain access to personal info!

the second sentence makes it brutally clear its a scam. the further you read, the more obvious it becomes. and to top it off,the bike ships free.
  4. lrutt

lrutt SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer:
    can't be very good cosmetically if it's in the Keys. Things don't last long down there, especially bikes, unless he kept it in the living room all it's life.
  5. Sport

Sport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It sure is a scam but even if it wasn't, buying sight unseen always requires the use of an escrow account where your money is held until the bike is shipped and accepted by the buyer. Then and only then are the funds released to the seller. If legit, everyone is safe and you both split the escrow fees.
  6. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    " Run Forrest, Run"
  7. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy.

Oddometer:

...and ebay doesn't do escrow accounts...
  8. zoo mob

zoo mob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not only is it clearly a scam, but it's not a good deal on that bike.
  9. MagyarMan

MagyarMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny this should come up,as I've been looking at a 2009 Ural Patrol for $4,000 in Reston Virginia with only 69 miles on the odometer. Upon further contact I found out the seller works on a cruise ship and is Italian,oh and BTW the bike is in Italy and He can send it COD.

I'm thinking "SCAM" ,So I said no thanks!
  10. caponerd

caponerd Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    The deal for the Honda wasn't COD.
  11. zoo mob

zoo mob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, since there is no photo or ad to look at, I don't have much to go on. That being said, there's pretty much no CB350 I'd be interested in. Gimme a CB450 or SOHC4 any day.
  12. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    If the bike is in Italy the odometer would be in kilometres not miles.
  13. PTC

PTC Turd polisher

Oddometer:
    I got the excact same scam on a different bike several months ago.word for word
  14. NHADV

NHADV Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its a scam! I have seen these on Craigslist before. A trick I learned was to try and communicate back and forth as much as possible and you will most likely lose contact with them after 2 or 3 times. A lot of times they just want your email address. Be careful.
  15. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, me too several times.
  16. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    to be true, it probably IS.
  17. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but it's the "probably" part that nags at you and makes you want it to be true.
  18. jbcaddy

jbcaddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oroville & Placerville, California U.S.of A.
    I just saw a mini excavator on craigs list locally for about one tenth of its worth. :huh decided it is not worth the time to ask about it. no phone number listed or location. it gave an email address that was not clickable, so probably just scamming for a sucker. I just cannot dig up enough hope to even give it the remotest possibility that it might be real.
  19. Gimmeslack

Gimmeslack furthur

Oddometer:
    I had the exact same experience a while back, while shopping for an older Tacoma. It is DEFINITELY a scam.:deal
  20. photomd

photomd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It sounds like a scam to me...for what that's worth.

If you want to buy something long distance sight unseen, I'd suggest https://www.escrow.com/index.asp. I've used this several times to buy used stuff and thought it was worth the extra cost for the protection. There may be other escrow services: my google-fu hasn't had a cup of coffee yet.