If you were a Noob and had $15k max to spend...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by El Pescador, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

They're MUCH more nimble on the street than many streetbikes, and they haul camping gear over rough ground better than most dirtbikes that were designed in the same period. They are some of the most versatile bikes sold in the US.

:lol3:rofl:lol3

Maybe 10K miles is a lot on something like a KTM 250-500 or LC4, or if you let your bike sit a lot, or run it near the rev limiter or lugging constantly, or take mostly short rides where the bike doesn't fully warm up, or just abusing the hell out of it. These kinds of things are bad for even the best of cars though. 50K+ miles, if regular riding and maintenance is done, is not a rare thing for a DR or KLR. 20K-30K miles on a DR that is taken care of wouldn't spook me in the least. The bike is simple and parts are easy to come by.
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

For what ? Maybe if you are 250lbs + and just NEED to do fourth gear roll on wheelies...Having spent time on one I just can't see power being an issue for most situations.
  3. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    Or if you are used to 450s, 250 2 strokes, or 500 cc 2 strokes, or big bore street bikes. And I love 4th and 5th gear wheelies (ride a CR500). Every one that I know that has or had one, has put the big bore kit in it, and it is still too slow to really get with the program in the dirt.

And I'm 205. One of the fastest guys I know really hauls ass on an XR200, an old one, so it isn't the bike that makes things happen.

Don't get all bunched up. Just a personal opinion here, just like everyone else.

As for the mileage comment, way too many bikes with less than 5000 miles out there, to buy a 50k miles bike. Unless it's close to free. I usually keep my bikes until 60k or so, and sell them cheap. At 60k, they are pretty loose, swingarm pivot and steeering head bearings are getting loose, all the rubber is going away, the engine is tired, etc., etc. And in my opinion, usually not worth putting money into rebuilding them, newer ones are too cheap.
  4. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'm not angry in the least. I am simply curious as to why anyone would make a blanket statement with regards to power. Saying that a bike does not have enough power implies that it needs more power. The truth is that the WR250r has plenty of power. It will tour just fine. It will run at interstate speeds all day. It will get it done in the dirt whether it be single track or open desert as long as you don't expect it to run at 100mph. Stating that you "want" more power is much different than a bike "needing" more power. Perhaps a modifier of "for me" next time? :D

By the way, here on the east coast big horsepower doesn't get you through our single-track any faster than the next guy but it will make an inexperienced rider look like an uncoordinated ass and may get you wrapped around a Cypress tree post haste. :lol3
  5. Ianstein

Ianstein Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lets see......$15K? One bike will never keep anyone 100% happy. The spectrum of riding is just too diverse. If its good off road, it'll be uncomfortable/inefficient on long road trips or vice versa.

Used 2nd Gen FJR1300 for long road trips : $5K-$6K
    Used 2nd Gen SV650 for streets around town and for sporty riding: $3K
    Used KTM 690 or a WR450 for dual sporting....maybe something smaller for more trail oriented riding.

So far I've got my SV and come spring will probably pick up a cheap dirt bike and possibly a 2013 FJR.
  6. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:

Good job DAKEZ!! :clap

Surely a cause for some Real Enthusiasm, NFE?

Now, if its not too much to ask, DAKEZ, I'd like a Rainbow Flavoured Unicorn please.

No photoshop. :lol2
  8. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    There still aren't many bikes sold in this country as versatile as the big DR or KLR. Bikes you can ride in singletrack typically aren't going to haul a passenger and luggage very well down the slab at 70MPH+ for 50K+ reliable miles, and these bikes can rail in tight twisties on pavement too. Bikes that can fly slab all day at 70MPH+ typically don't do well on dirt more technical than a gravel road. The DR and KLR are more capable on dirt than that, especially with a few intelligent mods. They can actually be ridden like chunky dirtbikes, by mere mortals even.

Things have come so far as to be truly "better" at versatility? We're offered 250s now that weigh over 300lb+ curb and have a 36" seat height. We're offered subframes that can't handle a 24" duffel bag. We have EFI with sketchy off-idle manners and questionable fuelpumps. We now have dinky fueltanks that can't be upgraded easily/cheaply. We have delicate radiators and finicky waterpumps. We have extra pork that pushes 650 thumpers over 400lb. The power is great, but how does it run on barrel gas and how well does it crash? We're offered close-ratio trannies. On a DUALsport?

A lot of these other bikes might be great, but their focus is usually considerably narrower.
  9. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if i had only been biking for 6 months, i would spent a couple of k on a decent older bike and a k on some good gear and ride the balls out of it, get some experience, have fun for a year and have the rest of the money put away so i could spend it after that when i was more sure what i wanted and needed from a bike. also if you buy something expensive this early in your biking career theres a high change youll throw it up the road anyway
  10. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't say that Dak's entry gives rise to "real enthusiasm" but it does quicken the heart rate a bit... :lol3

NFE
  11. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:

I'm sure DAKEZ is sorely disappointed that his entry doesn't arouse real enthusiasm in you... :webers

He gets that a lot.

:hide

Seriously, NFE, if you suddenly had $15,000 to splash on any bike,

which one WOULD arouse some real enthusiasm???
  12. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  13. No False Enthusiasm

Oddometer:
    I think I'd be plenty enthused with a 2013 Street Triple R and a broken in WR250R...

Can I borrow $15k till times get better?

NFE

BTW... Dakez, can you ring up those two, and I'll be by to pick them up... as soon as the $15k lands at my door step...
  14. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:

I got a ticket for tonight's LOTTO MAX = $20,000,000. :norton

If I'm in the money, NFE, you're getting two new bikes dude!!

And BTW, those are pretty damned good choices.

Sure you wouldn't want a WR450F???

I'll be picking up a Street Triple from DAKEZ too if this damn lottery thing works out as planned. :clap
  15. ct-ktm

ct-ktm Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. ct-ktm

ct-ktm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahhh I knew it couldn't be here in the USA..
  17. No False Enthusiasm

Oddometer:
    DOGSROOT... I'm rootin' for your success in the lotto...

If you win, I'll start out with the ST3R and the WR250R...

When the mythical WR450R comes to the US, I'm sure you'll still be flush with cash and will spring for one more bike...

NFE
  18. Tebpac

Tebpac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Used Duc Multistrada 2010 or greater if it existed at that price. The GS is lots of fun. The Duc is a kick in the ass fun!
  19. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nod What color would you like? :ear

I'll even throw in a Leather Triumph Jacket and a hideous top box. :D

If my lotto ticket hits I will buy you and Dogsroot each a street triple R just for thinking of me. :beer
  20. El Pescador

El Pescador Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update...after replacing fork seals last weekend (a messy job) and putting on new pipes, the Low Rider is much more enjoyable. As I mentioned before, the pipes that were on it were obnoxious. The new ones are much quieter and deliver much smoother torque. The desire to buy a new motorcycle is not nearly so strong I think I will buy another in a couple of months though. Thanks to all who contributed.