DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi cat,
    I'm sorry! As your location says 'Vienna, Austria' I thought you'd be a local from Austria. But have a look for a guy nicknamed 'Neetro' in our German forum. He's a nice guy and lives in Vienna, too. Although his roots are not far from my location here at Linz.
    If you don't want to register in a forum with an unknown language, please let me know. I could get you in contact with him. As he's running a PC-service, you might also contact him via his website (afaik he's named it in his signum) ...
    Kind regards, Bambi
  2. treborbig

treborbig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey spen ok pm sent ..?did send i thought, its on my end, obviously not yours.Thanks Again:deal
  3. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Page 5 ... that's much too far behind. Time to ride the Queen of thumpers back to front!
    Kind regards, Bambi
  4. Silent Hunter

Silent Hunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys, I need some help here.
    I suspect my Mikuni fuel pump is spoilt. :(:

Is it normal for the fuel to flow through from the inlet and out the outlet when the bike is not running?
    I have tried to reconnect it the opposite way, and fuel flows through into the outlet tube and out the inlet tube!!!! :huh

After rebuilding the Mikuni fuel pump using the repair kit with the brown plastic diaphams, I got the same result, petrol flows through as though it was a normal pipe.

Now if the pump is a goner, can this pump be used to replace the original fuel pump?
    It's got 2 outlet tubes though and the flow is 65 Litres per hour.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30080177663...cmd=ViewItem&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&vxp=mtr
  5. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Silent Hunter,

if you're not in desperate need of your Big as a daily driver: take a short time and wait for comments of wiser fellows here. You probably save some money. As far as I understand it fuel always goes through the pump although it's only needed when the level of fuel in the tank is lower than the position of the carbs. But I can't tell you if there is also a flow of fuel if the engine is not running. Me, I would expect a flow as the SR 41 models suffer from fuel in the engine-oil if the rubber seals of the needle-valves are shot and you forget to turn the petcock to 'off'.

Sorry as I can't give more advice. This is what I know up to this moment. I'm also fiddling in this area as the right half of my tank usually stops providing fuel to the left half and to the carbs if the level gets lower than 2/3s of it's contents. Thus I'm carrying around some 10 litres of fuel for nothing ... At the moment I'm adressing this phenomenon to a partwise blocked fuel-pipe in the tank.

Kind regards, Bambi
  6. Silent Hunter

Oddometer:
    Bro, can you run your bike on reserve until the left tank is totally empty but the right tank is still 2/3 full?
    If you can, it means the hose that links the 2 tanks is blocked. It's a simple matter to dismount the tanks and change/ flush the hose.

If you got 1/3 fuel left in both tanks and the bike is starved of fuel. Chances are your fuel pump is shot. :(

I had this problem early this year with the fuel pump. The bike will still run as long as there is enough fuel to provide pressure in the fuel tank.
    What my mech did to solve the problem temporally while I order the re-build kit to arrive was to link the hose from the fuel tank to the carb inlet and let the gravity pull the petrol in.

However, once the fuel has 10 Liters or less, it stops running. My mech had advised me to keep the fuel fully topped up, but I figured I should be able to make it back home with 2/3 tank. I found out the hard way when the bike stalled on the way home and I had to push the bike 2km back uphill to the nearest petrol station. :lol3
  7. kyle

kyle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    dont know about that model pump..

i have this one on my bike this last 18 months and its working well
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kart-Rota...icle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item53f02b2427
  8. Silent Hunter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kyle.
    Can you check to see if the fuel starts flowing through the pump and out the other end when you turn the fuel cock on, even with the engine off?

My pentagon shaped fuel pump does that and even after a rebuild using the 'Polaris' rebuild kit, it still allows fuel to flow backwards the other way, (which I feel should not be the case with the 1-way valves) although after the rebuild the petrol does not flow backwards in a stream, but as a slow trickle.
  9. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Silent Hunter,

the easy things are all checked, the rubber-pipes are all free, the pet-cock provides a good flow as long as the tank is full of petrol, the air-valves of the filler-caps are not blocked. As far as I understood the system, there could be only 2 more possibilities:
    No. 1: The quick-detachable connector has collected dirt. I forgot to check it when I checked all the other components.
    No. 2: There are some small diameter metal-pipes inside of the tank on both sides. You can see them leaving the tank were the rubber-pipes are connected. It seems to be a common failure that these metal-pipes get blocked by dirt. As they are of very small diameter it's not easy to push a wire through them, especially because of the double-curve at their entrance into the tank. I once tried and it seemed to work but only one or two times. Then it seemed that the dirt had found it's way back into the pipe.
    Kind regards, Bambi
  10. Dino3310

Dino3310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. kyle

kyle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes petrol will pass through even with engine off..i just got intohabit of turning fuel tap off when i stop
  12. MrPopples

MrPopples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 ...

also, the o-ring in the carb tends to get square ... I had a small leak for hundred of miles, just turning of the tap off was fine. and then one morning it was litteraly flowing on my feet when opening the tap.
  13. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there,
    problem is, that on the SR 41 (and 42 - I'm not quite sure?) with a worn o-ring in the floating-valve the petrol gets into the engine oil as there is no overflow from the carb to the outside. The level of fuel rises until it reaches the inlet, passes the valves and the piston-rings and mixes with the oil. So always close the petcock on the early models!!!
    Kind regards, Bambi
  14. Resi

Resi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sadly including the SR42. If availlable change float bowl to a SR43 type carb to prevent the engine oil thinned with gas...

Cheers,
    Lars
  15. ausibatla

ausibatla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dino. This is a message to 800 rider.

G'day Mark,
    good to see you got the old girl up and running again. I knew it wouldn't take too long.
    All the best to you and yours for Chrissy and the New Year.
    Cheers,
    Lloyd.
    :clap:clap:clap
  16. ausibatla

ausibatla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And to all DR owners that have ever graced this site with their prose and wisdom, I wish each and everyone of you the same as for Mark. Have a very happy Christmas and a great new year. Maybe you'll find that hidden Dakar team bike somewhere in pristine condition and the owner will pay you to take it away.
    Cheers.
    :clap:clap:clap
  17. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello there, hello Lloyd,
    thanks for that amount of kind wishes. Although being a bit early as I think, I also wish the best to you all here and especially for Mark, who got this thing going ...
    Concerning this:
    'Maybe you'll find that hidden Dakar team bike somewhere in pristine condition and the owner will pay you to take it away.'
    I do know somebody (I think, you all know him) who's got at least 3 of them. One of them in pristine, but non-original condition. I dare saying even much better as it's been on the starting-grid for the Dakar. But 20 years later the possibilities during the restoration must be better than even those of Suzuki in their days of preparing for Dakar. The other two are in different restoration-stages ... I bet, he won't part with one of these bikes, even when offered a lot of money.
    Best regards, Bambi
  18. Silent Hunter

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, do any of you know where to get a carburator's drain screw?

Despite my suspicion that my fuel pump is not working the way it should be, I finally got my "Scarlet" going using trial and error, turning the Fuel: Air intake mixture and Bump/push starting repeatedly, all the while draining the carb before each bump start. Turns out the bike can't start because it was running way way way way too rich. I got an incredible fuel consumption of 11km per liter for the last 178 km!!! :baldy

But along one of my test rides, the drain screw dropped out and petrol was spluttering everywhere while riding. I can't get one here in Singapore. What I have done for now is to get a smaller screw wrap it with aquarium air hose tubing and screw it in. :lol3

Drainage hole still drips like no tomorrow, so I got the reminding aquarium air hose to plug up the drainage hole, the tubing also acts as a fuel gauge to check the level of fuel in the carb and drains out any excess fuel if the carb floods. Not bad for some asia engineering huh? :wink:

But still I would want to get a proper screw to plug the hole up, because my wife just gave birth to a healthy baby boy and seeing that I will not be riding much in the near future, I have put my bike up for sale, and it would not be fair to short change the new owner. :wave

So any leads to get the screw?
  19. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Hey..."Big" Congratulations. :freaky

It takes a man to make a man, you know.

The drain screw is really nothing you couldn't make with a grinder or small file. It's just a metric screw (M4....maybe) with a tapered end. Get a screw and file/grind a taper into the last threads and it should work.
  20. Silent Hunter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ladder! :)

Thing is I can't find a screw with the right threads! Most are too wide apart. :(:
    I found one with the same thread width, but its the wrong size, it's too small and goes through the hole easily without touching the threads. :cry

Probably will need to visit some workshop to ask if they can dismantle some old parts to get one the right size.

Anyway, I went online and found a shop selling it at 4 pounds, but the shipping is 8 pounds!!! :eek1:eek1:eek1

By the way.... Happy Doomsday everyone! :lol3