Cat Herders: Shenandoah Valley Inmates

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by HBN, Nov 3, 2008.

1. mica

mica Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DAAANG, thanks for sharing that. Well done!! I think that is the most well put together riding video I have seen.:clap
  2. Dual Sport Armory

Dual Sport Armory Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. XC Rider

XC Rider Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Sweet video Daang! :clap

Lincoln, you got to check out the video around minute 11:00, that's me & Tim picking up your tools from in the middle of the creek where you busted up that tool tube on your bike! :deal
  4. littlelionmonster

littlelionmonster Custom Faker

Oddometer:
  5. DAAANG

DAAANG LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer:
  6. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cat Herders! Greetings from Richmond. Quick question some of you may have an answer to:

I signed up for the Shenandoah 500, I was going to tent camp but this weekend, my wife and kids stated that they want to tag along in the RV and hang out at the campground during the day. Does anyone know if historically there have been other kids/families hanging out during the day. Are there things to do in the Mt. Solon? I see that they have a playground and some trails at the campground. I just don't want them getting bored. (They can always throw in a DVD and kick back on the sofa in the RV, or play with the iPods, but that defeats the purpose of camping)
    If I take my DRZ instead of the 800GS, which I will probably do, I may let one of the kids ride pillon for a while. Does the route typically take you far from the campground or could I feasibly take one of my kids for a 1-2 hour ride and drop them back off at the campground with mom? :ear
    Thanks!
    Eddy
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  7. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I went once. It was a great ride. It starts at a regular family campground with all the amenities and is very full of families. The ride , when I did it went a long way from the campground and continued to get farther away till the mid point and then started looping back. Not particularly good for taking along a passenger with the idea of dropping them off and continuing.

If I was going again and had the choice of bikes you mention, the 400 would be coming with and the 800 would be resting comfortably at home.
  8. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Answering from Richmond. I have seen other families and kids at the campgrounds during the event. Not a lot, but some. You can ride your kids around the area as long as they meet the same street legal requirements. But the loop generally runs away for half a day then back the other half, so if you're going to run the route with the pack, better have the kid commit for the day or else go woods exploring with mom then go for a ride in the evening. That's pretty much a no-brainer to take the DRZ unless you're looking for a trophy that says you can work a big beemer through the course and make it out the same day not too badly banged up. As for the kids, what to do / being bored, that's really only up to the imaginations of the kids and where the parents lead them. If they go to the campground take a quick look around and decide they're bored, "throw in a DVD and kick back on the sofa in the RV, or play with the iPods", then chances are they will lead a boring life of obesity. And to say "that defeats the purpose of camping" while bringing them to a full facility in an RV then leaving them for the day is something I find humor in. Maybe the best time for daddy to take mommy and the kids "camping" is when he can spend the full time with them teaching them about nature, survival, the outdoors, and enjoying life together - which is what really builds kids' character. Disculpe lo terco. Ojala todo eso les ayuda y que Dios les acompañe.
  9. littlelionmonster

littlelionmonster Custom Faker

Oddometer:
    The CG is also close to Todd Lake, which has some good trails and a like to swim in, if its warm enough.....

Mt Solon is a 4 way intersection with stop signs and a broke down fire engine, so not much "to do" there.

There's also Stokesvilles CG, which has a small observatory, I think. Don't know much about it though.
  10. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm thinking too, thanks.

No offense taken, I have been blessed with two very fit, active, outdoor loving kids. :gdog who decided that they wanted to tag along with Papi.

Thank you for the info...swimming near Mt. Solon in October could be very "refreshing"! :vardy
  11. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Frontier Culture Museum and some other kid-friendly stuff in Satunton may be up their alley. Wrights Dairy Rite has good ol fashioned greasy burgers and milkshakes. The Massanutten indoor Wave Park is only about 45 min away and good for a full day of exhausting little ones. Depending on the weather, the leaves may be beautiful at some places up that way. They could also ride the ski lift to the top for the view and hike down.

That can only keep kids entertained so long though. :dunno
  12. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report HBN but i'm EDDIE BOLTED not JEFF B:D
  14. Forest Rooster

Forest Rooster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang it, Man! This makes me want to trade my WRR for a Versys. :evil
  15. twohawks

twohawks Not Afraid

Oddometer:
    Sexy lookin' bike there Denis!

:clap
  16. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    :becca I knew that :shog
  17. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is looking out my driveway Southeast towards Browntown Valley. That house in the foreground was built about 5 years ago in the middle of my only view. At least its, for the most, part below the close ridge line. South Fork of the Shenandoah is about 900' behind and 100' below the house.

[​IMG]

You can see the fog slithering over the ridge top. Dickey Ridge on the left, Hogback Mountain on the right. This pic doesn't do it justice.
    I've been up there at night when this was occurring. In one area on the drive the road is cut into the side of a 45° slope that has been cleared of trees. You can ride under the fog rising up(and eventually over the ridge) the contour of the ridge and watch it rise as your riding under it. I need to try and get some video of that sometime. Its pretty cool!

I have no clue as to what the Orange light is on the side of the ridge. Its not the camera. I noticed it when I looked at the photo. Wasn't there before or after. Maybe its an alien underground portal! That reminds me, wheres my tin foil hat...:D
  18. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    By brother had a house on the lower side of Dicky Ridge. All you had to do was walk out the back door and start climbing.
  19. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see that fog rising while riding underneath! Maybe the orange light is a reflection of the low sun behind the camera off something on the ridge. I think I can see where you're looking from. Is there a pond back beyond that house?
  20. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    :d:d:d