Suzuki Bandit

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Erase, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    So my 12S needs a new set of handlebars after getting sleepy in my driveway (again :bluduh) Reccomendations? I'd like to maintain the same-ish riding position so no clipons

As it stands I have stock bars I believe so do try to let me know if I need longer cables anywhere. I do have stainless braided lines so maybe I can make up some room by shifting some mounting points around??? I haven't looked very close yet at it all.
  2. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:
  3. Draechon

Draechon Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone here have a Sargent or Corbin seat they would like to part with for a 1st-gen 1200? I have been keeping watch for a couple weeks on eBay and the flea market here, but only one has popped up that I was not able to get. Don't wanna shell out $400 for a brand new one.
  4. jspansel

jspansel n00b

Oddometer:
    Missed this thread... should have put my pics up in here..

02 1200s

Givi Screen, Givi Wingrack 2 Monokey Luggage System, Holeshot Slip-On, Throttlemeister Bar End/Throttle Lock, Grip Heaters, Pyramid Tire Hugger, Lowered/Adjustable Passenger Pegs, 12v Power Outlet, Engine Guards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Has 30k on her now. Paid $2500 last month for her with the above goodies.
  5. IGOTTASRT8

IGOTTASRT8 n00b

Oddometer:
    Score!

6. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:

Bikemaster Daytona bars. I trimmed 3/4" off the ends and no line length issues. More comfortable bend than stock also.
  7. Horsehead

Horsehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing too spectacular to show here, but I traded my '97 Honda Shadow for an '01 1200s on Sunday. Only 9,000 miles and in immaculate condition! Everything is bone stock, except the laminar lip on the windscreen. So far I've put about 200 miles on it and loved every moment. Last night I ordered Ortlieb tank bag and saddle bags from tourtech. Really excited about many adventures to come. I can't believe the difference between this bike and my old Shadow. It's like this is an actually motorcycle and the Shadow is a two wheeled tractor. Call me a happy camper. :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out tagging...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What are your thoughts on throttlemiester throttle locks? My biggest question is how safe are they? I'm a little apprehensive of something mechanically inhibiting the throttle from closing quickly in the event of an emergency at highway speeds.

Also, what about bar risers? I like the forward lean, but might want to come up just a little to get some of the pressure off of wrists. The Shadow put all the pressure on my tail bone, which is the reason I no longer have it, so I don't want to be sitting bolt-upright. Suggestions?
  8. jspansel

jspansel n00b

Oddometer:
    I have throttlemeisters and absolutely LOVE them! They are just replacement bar ends and you just twist the throttle bar end and it will squeeze the throttle to lock it. You can just close the throttle manually if you have to. That easy. No risk of having to mess with the bar end to get the throttle to close. Just twist the throttle back, which does not take much force at all.
  9. Draechon

Draechon Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:

Where are those deals at when I'm looking on Craigslist? Sheesh!
  11. jspansel

jspansel n00b

Oddometer:
    It was a hard one to snag! Caught it RIGHT when it was posted. Wanted $2700 which was a deal to begin with especially with all the goodies. He accepted the $2500 on condition of not getting his asking price offer. Of course he got flooded with full price offers :cry.

We made a deal that since I was first, he will have the first full price offer come out and if HE does not buy it, it will be mine for my $2500 offer. I thought I lost it. Guy came and was too short for the bike!

He wanted to then go and take the other full price offers and kind of go back on his word with me. Told him I will keep my end of the deal up and I would expect you to as well. I had an almost 3 hour trip to get the bike and rent a trailer, etc. He decided to keep his deal with me and I went and picked it up.

A bit rougher than advertised, but I cleaned her up good, new chain, tire, valves adjusted, plugs, etc. Diamond in the ruff. :D Been an awesome bike so far.
  12. justdirtyfun

justdirtyfun Long timer

Oddometer:
    One hell of a story jspansel. he did you right. Beats those nightmare deals from overseas with money orders etc..
    I raised my bars with large washers under the bar mounts. Get the longer bolts at the same time and your good. A half inch felt like much more.
  13. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did the same thing with shaft collars and some bikemaster bars. Did not cut any off the ends. Just had to remove the right side cable keeper.

I put some BMW sport grips on it, like them a lot, little bigger diameter.

[​IMG]

It's been a good solid bike

[​IMG]
  14. Horsehead

Horsehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After seeing these pictures I went out to look at mine, and it looks like the PO definitely rigged up some homespun risers...

[​IMG]

Problem solved I guess.
  15. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow that thing has some parts! I've been running one of these for about a year. Works perfect and it's cheap. One piece of plastic.
    [​IMG]
  16. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:

IMO, Throttlemeister is nice. It's a well made product and looks good - but too expensive. There are less expensive products that work better. Like this one:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839403

oops - 205'd. Should have read a little further...
  17. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    Same here, does the trick just fine for me. It's called a Go Cruise, I believe. Although the omni-cruise does look nice, not worth the extra cash to me.
  18. MerlotMax

MerlotMax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So got the new mirrors w/ turn signals installed and wired up. Put the small flush mount LED's into the old t/s spot and wired them to be on all the time.

It sure cleans up the front end.

[​IMG]
  19. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:
    Can you suggest a digital tach/speedo that really works well with an inline four and is easy to wire?

I've used Trail Tech computers on past single cylider dirtbikes and the Vapour's digital speedo worked fine. Last project was on a Magna V4 and I used the Trail Tech Vapor again but it would not give me an accurate tach readout, the digital readout would jump up and down.

So current project is a Bandit 1200 streetfighter. I am keeping the idiot light setup but I need a speedo and most importantly a digital tach that will actually work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. YJake

YJake Long timer

Oddometer:
    My engine starts to choke and die after riding at 80mph for extended periods with less than 4 gallons of gas in the tank. I pull to the side of the road and it will fire back up again. However, after 20 miles or so it cuts out again. Doesn't happen when ridden under 4,000 RPM on the interstate.

Seems to me like a fuel issue.

Tempted to yank carbs and look inside just because I never have.:evil

-Petcock is less than 5k miles sold.
    -Inline fuel filter doesn't look clogged and neither does the one on the petcock inside of the tank.

Any ideas folks?

-Jake