DR650 build in Chicago

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by dongie, Jan 26, 2011.

1. dongie

dongie Brraaap

Oddometer:
    That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing!
  2. wolf moderate

wolf moderate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The front end and black rims make that bike amazing. You have a talent for this stuff, wow!:eek2

What do you guys mean when you say that you subscribed? I just signed up for an advrider, but unsure of other subscription options, Thanks.
  3. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above every one's avatar there is a button saying 'View Unread'; scroll up to it: and to the right of that is another that says 'Thread Tools'. Click on that; and wait. Next window will ask "Subscribe to this thread?", click on it.
  4. dongie

dongie Brraaap

Oddometer:
    The windshield came today!
    Out of all enduro windshields that are out there, I liked the Australian Screens For Bikes the most. $160 is a pretty hefty price for a piece of plexi though.
    The Acerbis Baja Style Dual Sport Shield from Cee Bailey's has a similar shape and costs only $70 shipped: http://www.ceebaileys.com/acerbis/index.html
    The only downside is that it's flat and hence doesn't fit the curved KLX (or DR, if I still had that one) headlight shroud.
    Nothing a little bit of heat can't fix :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. dongie

dongie Brraaap

Oddometer:
    The LED turn signals were a cheap eBay find - about $12/pair. They have rubber mounts so they should bend in case they get hit. Even if they don't survive, it's not a big deal to replace them for this price.
    You might want to buy an LED flasher relay if you want them to flash slowly, just like the stock signals. I bought mine from Custom LED: http://customled.com/products/flasher_relay/flasher_relay.htm This relay plugs right into your stock flasher relay connector. I actually prefer the faster flashing rate (looks pretty cool with LEDs) so I'd put the new relay on the voluntary buy list.

To make the stock single bulb indicator to work properly, you need to solder this diode kit into your harness: http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/719/Diode-Kit The instructions that come in the package make for a very simple installation. Just follow the wires that come out of the flasher bulb in the instrument panel and add this diode.

I also replaced the stock bulb in the DR250 taillight with a nice LED piece. It's brighter and uses less energy. I got it here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Ftail-brake-turn.html
    You want the 1157 red, wide beam (100 deg.), dual bulb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. TRAVELGUY

TRAVELGUY Old Traveler

Oddometer:
    Great information thank you !

7. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    Thanks for details on your build.

DR is on my short list for my next purchase in March, your build may serve as inspiration for folks like myself.

Your bike is looking awesome!!!! Looking forward to more.
  8. djones745

djones745 they call me lawndart for a reason...

Oddometer:
    Great work Dongie, Can't wait to finish my front end conversion myself, now if only we had some decent dual sport places to ride close to Chi-town! :D
  9. dongie

dongie Brraaap

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave! That's why I got the DR - so I don't have to rely solely on riding around Chicago. I can't wait to take this thing around Lake Michigan in spring and then to the west coast in summer. Our plan is to hit Laguna Seca in July and then ride up north to Seattle, mostly off road.

Do you have an issue with the RMZ forks?
    I'm still tempted to pick up your SM wheels so I can do a few trackdays for fun :evil
  10. djones745

Oddometer:
    You gotta block out time for the ADV Central Rally for sure. I went last year with the 17" SM wheels and wound up riding with a rear as a front- It worked surprisingly well in the sand!

Guys dubbed it the TW650 :rofl

What part of Chicago are you in? I'm in the South Suburbs
  11. dongie

dongie Brraaap

Oddometer:
    When and where is that happening? I've been a part of the local SM racing scene for a while but am new to all ADV meetings and this forum.
  12. djones745

Oddometer:
    Look under Rally's in the main page 'Central Annual Rally'- it's Aug 12-21st in Eagle River, WI
    Bonebag throws a hell of a party, he had a different microbrew on tap every night for a week :freaky

The riding was incredible- Cannonshot had a million miles of GPS tracks set up, everything from smooth tarmac to single track :clap
  13. gregorbean

gregorbean dudeguy

Oddometer:
    :dllama:happay:rilla:dllama:rilla:happay:dllama

It's all I can think about lately.
  14. dongie

dongie Brraaap

Oddometer:
    If I'm around in August, I'll be there. I live in the city, in Humboldt Park btw..
  15. dongie

dongie Brraaap

Oddometer:
    I can't wait! Hope I don't get booked for a big job!
  16. mmitchell57

mmitchell57 SwampMan

Oddometer:
    Nice DR650 setup. I like the side by side of original and end point.
  17. mklebel

mklebel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For reference, what is your weight and height? How does it feel? Has the seat height changed? I know you probably can't give a full report with the awesome winter we're having..

Nice work.
  18. What's his Face

What's his Face lost as

Oddometer:
    :clap nice job...

one of the best dr builds i have ever seen :clap
  19. dongie

dongie Brraaap

Oddometer:
    I've been actually riding quite a bit lately :D

The bike definitely sits a lot higher now, with a lot less sag. I weigh around 165 without any gear, and am 5' 10" tall, with 32" of inseam. The seat height is now around 36.5" so I can only touch the ground with my toes.

I set up the suspension on the stiffer side. I run all my bikes that way (even mountain bikes). I will be packing some gear for a TAT trip and don't want the bike to sag too much or dive under hard braking. I'm also getting a 17" wheelset with slicks for occasional track days with my friends. That's where the stiff suspension will come really handy.
    I compared the stiffness to my friend's Husky 610 SM last night, and my bike is just a tad softer.
    Originally, I was hoping to get a 450 race bike this season but I think my money will be spent on touring and traveling, instead of supermoto races :ricky
  20. smokeeater495

smokeeater495 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about some more pics? Like of a big wheelie on Michigan Ave.:evil