Scooter Gangs in the Smoky Mountains

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klaviator, Jun 21, 2011.

1. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just spent a week riding around in the Smoky Mountains. I saw a couple groups of scooters and was wondering if it was anyone on this forum.

The first was a group of 3-4 Vespa's and a Helix on the Cherohala Skyway on Monday June 13th.

The second was on the Blue Ridge Parkway on saturday June 18th. I got a few pics of the second group. There were around 20 scooters in this group, mostly Burgmans, a Silverwing or two and one "BMW"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. scooterGdawg

scooterGdawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thats the burgman usa group.... i know they had a annual rally this past weekend.
  3. Sly-one

Sly-one Deskbound Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow! A herd of Burgies stampeding down the parkway! What a sight that must have been!
  4. Tarka

Tarka Strangely strange. Oddly normal.

Oddometer:
    Great photos!

It`s ace to see a group of 'Maxi Scoots' together and they look like they`re having fun!

Cheers for posting!
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    They weren't the only "gang" in the area. There were hundreds of these:

[​IMG]
  6. Rimmy

Rimmy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thats where I intend to retire up in Gattlinburg. god I love it there.
  7. THE_SHRUB

THE_SHRUB Potted plant

Oddometer:
    Oh snowz!! Can-am Spyder Brigade!! I love the looks of those things, and it makes me warm and fuzzy inside every time I think that they are made here in ontario, but I don't think I could/would ever own one myself :D Its nice to see so many people out enjoying their hobbies/past times, you gotta love summer!
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    There was a huge Spyder rally going on in Maggie Valley while I was there. They were from all over the country and I saw some Canada tags too. They seem to love customizing them.

[​IMG]

There are more pics of them in my ride report here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698669
  9. GroundHogger

GroundHogger Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. andyman7931

andyman7931 Adventurer

Oddometer:

You snapped that picture when we were in a moment of distress! That's me on the sliverwing at the front, the burgman in second place had his kickstand switch get stuck and he couldn't start, just as 2/3 of the group pulled out.

We went from here to the pisgah inn for lunch, then got caught by the storm. I hope you were able to stay dry.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's cool. I thought it was a real long shot that someone in the group would be on this forum. It's a small world.

I did stay dry. I got back to Maggie Valley before the rain hit.
  12. FoldArt

FoldArt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a good ride until it rained on us. Somewhere about 2:00 PM the heavens opened up. The group split into little pieces, hiding out wherever they could to stay dry or put on rain gear. Took most of the fun out of the rest of the ride.

About half the group had taken off already when you got that pic. We might have had about 30 bikes all together. Its nice to ride in a group and not hear loud exhaust constantly (or at all).

In addition to that ride, some of us from Charlotte went to the Dragon's Tail on Thursday. Got in over 300 miles that day. Weather was perfect then. Over four days of riding in June I don't think I was hot for more than two hours. So much nicer than the flatlands!
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    That brings the number of inmates whose paths I crossed to 3. Goldburg, another Burgman rider was at Waterrock Knob the same time as me on Thursday night but didn't know it was me. He driving a cage or I would probably have went and said hi.

You are right about the weather. I was riding the area for a week and was cold more than I was hot.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Saw another "scooter gang' this past weekend at Deals Gap.

[​IMG]

It was 4 beat up chinese scooters with no tags on them. 3 of them were probably 50s but one was too big to be a 50. My Aprilia is also in the picture.

More pics details and the rest of my 675 mile trip are here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647784&page=12
  15. mullman

mullman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was a gang of one, a one man wolfpack, in the area a few weeks ago. :D

[​IMG]
  16. skyleader

skyleader n00b

Oddometer:
    I did not know BMW had a scooter currently on the US market. What is the size/name of the BMW scooter shown in post #1?
    Thanks,
    Skyleader
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It's actually an Aprilia 500. They just stuck the BMW emblem on it. I had a friend who bought a Honda Reflex, many years ago when the Reflex was a new model. He also put BMW emblems on it and confused a lot of people.