New Owners - Stupid Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighFive, Nov 22, 2010.

1. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Supposedly the discoloration comes from the line and has no effect on braking ability. Mine looked like motor oil by the time it was changed. 7,000mi on the change and the new fluid has not discolored.
  2. Jamm

Jamm Old man on 2 wheels

Oddometer:
    I'm finally getting time this weekend to install my Scott's steering damper and HDB handguards and the instructions on neither one state to use a thread locker or anti-sieze. What has everyone else done with these installations?
  3. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
  4. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    Supposed I am anti-social and I don't like to talk to other people (in real life). :jump
    Would they work? :lol3
  6. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Those valve stems will work. Not a bad deal for a pack of 4, either.

As long as you are placing an order, you can use it as an excuse to buy some other farkle from them, too! :evil
  7. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
  8. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    Ok. Please don't make fun of me for asking.
    But for the tool in this person's hand, do I have to worry about the threads not matching? Are they pretty much universal? I just want to go to the auto store and buy one......
    Forgive my ignorance.:D

[​IMG]
  9. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    I would not (and do not) carry an extra tool, just get two of the valve caps that have a valve core remover on them. This way you always have them with you on the bike and don't have to carry an extra (unneeded) tool. Many tubes come with them, most tire places should have them. Should be a $1 or $2.

And yes they are universal.

[​IMG]

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Equipment/valve_stem_cap2.htm
  10. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those metal ones are getting harder and harder to find over here. Even bicycle shops are going to plastic. BTW the plastic ones are crap.
  11. shelion

shelion Goddess of Fire

Oddometer:
    It's taken me 9 weeks but I've finally come up with a possibly stupid question...

I have a 650GS twin (2010). I'm taking an off-road riding workshop on Saturday and they recommend turning off the headlight for the class. Is this possible and if so, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance.

:ear
  12. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can take the bulb out. I don't think it is necessary. It sounds like they gave you some instructions that date back to BSA and Lucas electrics. Remember "why do the British drink warm beer? Because they have Lucas Refrigerators." Dave
  13. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nono That's the way (u-huh, u-huh) we like it!
  14. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Purchased a 800GS and getting it set up for big RTW ride.

Bought a plug from dealer to use on my GPS, but there are three wires coming out of the plug. They had the BMW Garmin there so I took a photo of the wire colors on that unit. Anyone know what color wires I use for positive and negative? what do I do with the other wire?

The plug on the left is the "service repair part" the other plug is the one for the BMW Garmin GPS (which I am not using).

Any help would be great!

[​IMG]
  15. 1P8RIOT

1P8RIOT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RADIOMAN,
    I used a volt meter to figure out what was hot and what was ground. Remember to turn on the key. The plug will have power for about 10 seconds after you turn off the key. If I remember right, the third wire isn't used for a gps so I cut it down to a couple of inches and wrapped it up.
  16. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comment. That was my next step once I get a chance.

Putting on an extended front brake line so I can raise the bars up. Time to bleed the brakes :) Lots left to do!
  17. Ronin ADV

Ronin ADV Gear addict

Oddometer:
    Okay I've got one. Not strictly a F800 question, but I worry more about it when I'm out alone on the F800. What are the recovery steps if I drown the bike by dropping it on a water crossing. Pull and replace the spark plug? How do I drain out the engine?

Dan
  18. Graniteone

Graniteone 3,2,1...Beer me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay so I am a super new noob. I just bought a 2005 F 650 GS and want to put a more aggressive tires on the bike for fire roads etc out here in Colorado. I ll still probably use the bike 80% of the time on the road. It doesn't look like there is much clearance to put much meat under the front fender. A) Is there room? B) Which tires should I check out? I know in advance asking a tire question can open a can of worms, so have at it.

Thanks and more dumb questions are forming in my head as I type.

Steve
    hschisler likes this.
  19. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Make that a super-duper new noob, Steve. Because you posted your first question in the wrong forum. :lol3

The 2005 F650 has a single-cyclinder engine and is a totally different beast than the two-cylinder 2009 -> F650s and F800s that are discussed here. There may be some former F650 single owners here who can answer your question, but you'd have a whole lot more luck getting a straight answer over in the Thumpers forum.
  20. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or even better - check the chain gang out!
    http://www.f650.com/
    They have all the info you could ever need. Try FAQ first.